cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

GVWR vs. dry weight

KillerIsMe
Explorer
Explorer
Anybody around these parts ever read anything I've posted knows I'm a bit of a doofus. Yes I'm new - I mean, wasn't everybody new at one time? Don't judge me man, lest ye be judged. Anyways, I took Mrs. Killer out RV shopping the other day and I should gouge out my eyes for it, because I went from getting off easy to being locked in a cage with a wolf. My TV is an f150. I just brought it home yesterday - it's red...red! I never had a red car before but always secretly wanted one. A red TRUCK just enhances the whole fantastic experience. But I'm off track. So I've got that 5.0, the factory tow package, 9000 pound capacity, 3.55 gears, and I have 2067 pounds of by-God payload. Now we upgraded from a Frontier so my little centerfold says we can go way, way, way up in trailer size and I'm in agreement, but it's the kind of agreement where you just want a happy wife and easy living. So she's moving from place to place on trailers and for the most part she's settling in the 7000-7500 pound GVWR rating, which seems to be the sweet spot for a family of our size. Not wanting to be a disappointment to her (again) I'm working hard on the math and this is what occurred to me: a dual axle trailer with maybe a 5200 pound dry weight and a 7500 pound GVWR just has a really large carrying capacity that a family of three most likely will never approach. Heck, we could pile all the Killer's possessions right out here on the back sidewalk and they wouldn't amount to much more than 2000 pounds, so there's no way on God's good green Earth we're going to carry 2100 pounds in a travel trailer. I'm right, right? (Please tell me I am). I'm thinking I'm in the 5200 dry range,I'm going to load up maybe a thousand, and at 6300 or so I should be good to go with that Ford. Please tell me what you think folks, because the money is in the pocket burning a hole and my next series of posts will be along the lines of "what the hell am I doing wrong?"
30 REPLIES 30

Nvr2loud
Explorer
Explorer
sunofabeach wrote:
my trailers brochure weight is 6400 lbs and loaded and ready to camping for my family of 4, it weighs in at a whopping 7400 lbs. that includes propane, battery, food, toys, everything that we need for a typical camping trip.

And water?

sunofabeach
Explorer
Explorer
my trailers brochure weight is 6400 lbs and loaded and ready to camping for my family of 4, it weighs in at a whopping 7400 lbs. that includes propane, battery, food, toys, everything that we need for a typical camping trip.

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sounds like you have figured out what will work for you the best.

KillerIsMe
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry, that post above was supposed to quote colliehauler. Don't have this tech stuff down yet. Still trying to figure out how to post a picture on my profile page (not that anyone cares).

KillerIsMe
Explorer
Explorer
I was referring to TT layout more then if you like RV'ing although it does give you a foray into the rv lifestyle. RV layouts are different and some work better then others. It's better to get it right the first time then an expensive mistake.

Relax RV'ing is a blast, don't get stressed.

All we've done is poke around inside a few thousand (seems like) trailers so far, and I like some lay-outs better than others. That being said, I might be the tallest one in my family but I'm sure not the boss. That would be our daughter. She is set on a bunk model (no face palming) and I kind of agree with her reasoning. We get the walk-around queen and she wants a little corner of the trailer for herself. She's an artist and a genius (an actual genius) and likes to go off by herself to draw or read or play her flute or whatever thing she does when she does her own thing. So that kind of cuts down on possible floor plans - really, in our weight class there are two. One with just a dinette, and the other with a dinette and sofa side-by-side (Mrs. Killer calls that one the bus station). Side note: we all are in agreement on our hatred for a dinette and consider THAT to be much more of a waste of space than any bunks would be. Anyways I'm going to go see a Minnie 2455BH today along with a Sunset Trail SS239BH. The Little Missus likes that Minnie but I think it's a shade on the heavy side. Also find myself becoming attracted to the Fun Finder F23BH. Might just be the name - Fun Finder: sounds like it will find the fun for me - but the dry weight is under 5000. Dinette though.

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
One of my surprises came when I added a nice fiberglass bed cap. That darn thing weighted just short of 250 lbs.

Also never noticed a mpg change with or without water. I always carry 1/3 to 1/2 tank for travel breaks, lunch stops or sometime at an overnight camp spot where it was not worth hooking up to the CG water.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

yillb
Explorer
Explorer
My trailer weighed 5970 dry, with a 600 pound hitch weight.

Factory specs said :

700# hitch weight
5600 pounds dry.

When I added propane, battery, 4 chairs, drone and drone case, 2 cans of beans, some marshmallows, batteries ( about 10 of them , aa's ), a drill, tarp, some small plastic toys for the kids to play with outside, HITCH on the truck, truck itself, me, my wife, my two kids, and our very small dog, sons 12V power wheels truck thing in the bed, pillows ( memory foam ), two changes of cloths are always in the RV, backpack with computer equipment, soap ( two hand soaps ), one bag of cups, one bag of knives, spoons, and forks, two pots, one pan, sewer hose, water hose, blankets ( for four beds ), sleeping bag ( son likes the bag ), deodorant, shampoo for me, and for my wife ( that's two ), kids shampoo ( that's one ), 2 bars of soap, four tooth brushes, two things of toothpaste, 4 small buckets of cotton candy ( super light ๐Ÿ˜› ), dog leash, 2 cans of greenbeans, 2 cans of wolf brand chili , 3 1 gallon bottles of water, 10 plastic bags ( for trash ), one thing of zip ties, 2 screwdrivers, additional 32INCH tv in the master bedroom, and three iPhone chargers, and 2 iPad block chargers, 4 knives, 6 towels, 2 hand towels, 4 rolls of toilet paper, 2 rolls of paper towel, an extension for my power cord ( to use a 30 AMP ), as well as a propane line for my outdoor kitchen, and a very very small portable BBQ pit, as well as one thing of coals, 1 flashlight, hitch cover from truck when i'm towing... my weights changed, but... not nearly as much as everyone keeps saying.

Truck has a GVWR of 13900
Trailer with everything in it ( no water ), came to 6476 ( had it weighed ), truck ( with the power wheels thing ) weighed in ( with all of us in it ) at a whopping 6578 pounds, GVWR is 6900 pounds, RAWR is 3900 pounds, HITCH weight, ( moved some stuff around ) came out to about 760~ pounds, which put me at GVWR of 7300~ pounds, which is over my allowed amount by about 400~ pounds. ( this included the hitch ).

After adding my WD bars, it didn't " give me back " any payload, but it did shift some weight, my tongue weight wen't down to 610~ pounds ( don't have the paper in front of me ).

Which put me at 7100~ pounds or so, which is still over by about 200 pounds. ( this includes the power wheels toy ), after that weight, we removed the power wheels, and i'm thinking i'm over my GVWR by about 100~ ish, i can likely get that even lower when I remove all the food and what not from the truck itself. That particular day I had some extra stuff in the truck itself, such as a 32" TV, his power wheels toy, and about 80 pounds of wood in the bed with the power wheels. I'm thinking i'm JUST at, or right over my GVWR if i remove all that.

The trailer + truck came to a combined weight of ....... 6476 + 7100 ( using the 7100 with the wood and TV in the truck ), my combined weight at that point was 13500~, which is JUST under my combined weight rating, I don't know exactly how much was on my RAWR number, but i think i'm under that too.

So, yes, the stuff adds up quickly, but often not at quickly as some might think. With that said, I'm RIGHT at, or JUST over my max payload, and the ride for a BRAND new tower is spot on. I get no sway, and very little " white knuckle ", i've got about 400 miles behind my belt, so i'm by no way an expert, not even a little. That said, I'd do the math as much as possible to ensure you feel okay dong that, I don't like driving on two lane roads, and I still slow down considerably in corners, but i'm new, and i'm cautions and I try to be pretty proactive about what I have. Unfortunately, I already have my truck, and I already have my trailer. Do i want to be over my gross... no... will i live with it, yes.

marcsbigfoot20b
Explorer
Explorer
I hope the newer trucks have better hitches.
My 2000 F350 DRW diesel hitch was only rated at 500/5000 and WD 1000/10000
Pin hole was worn out from all the towing miles, bought a Curt with 1000/10000 and WD 1200/12000

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
KillerIsMe wrote:
that dog never leaves my side and she's truly my companion. My wife is right about a lot of things. Besides, I got a big red f150 out of the deal.

Okay - women stop reading (you've been warned)

What's the true definition of loyalty? Lock your dog and your wife in the trunk of your car for 2 hours. When you open it up, which one is happy to see you? ๐Ÿ˜‰

I know, I know... I'm just kidding.... I'd never lock my dog in the trunk ;);)

OutdoorPhotogra
Explorer
Explorer
Check the hitch on your F-150. My 2007 had a 950lb weigh rating with WDH and 500 without. I hope they upgraded to heavier class hitches on newer models but not sure. If it is 1,000 lbs, that would be a 6500-7,000 TT based on standard tongue weight plus a WDH. I think you'll be happier in general if you try to keep the TT loaded to 7,000 or less.
2008 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 5th Wheel
F-250 6.2 Gasser

Former PUP camper (Rockwood Popup Freedom 1980)

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
KillerIsMe wrote:
colliehauler wrote:
Have you thought of renting a TT to see what you like and don't like? I think you will find RV'ers are generally friendly and willing to help if asked. You can take your RV to a empty parking lot and practice backing.

You know, I HAVE thought of renting. The only thing with that is the wife has it set in stone we're buying a new - not used, new - travel trailer and we're going to love it. If we find it's not for us and take a depreciation hit, well so be it. She's been talking about it for three years and for those three years I've been reluctant - the Nissan is too small, trailers are expensive, what if we don't like it - just one excuse after another. But you know, it's one of those get busy living or get busy dying things. I'm 61, she's 50, our little girl is 10 - last I checked we weren't getting any younger. So I know you are right about renting, and I know the advice about buying used is sound advice, but I'm not putting her off any longer about this. It's only money, and I can't reasonably compare a few thousand dollars to my wife's being happy. Heck I was the same way with the dog - I didn't want the responsibility of being a man with a dog but that dog never leaves my side and she's truly my companion. My wife is right about a lot of things. Besides, I got a big red f150 out of the deal.

Anyways, that parking lot idea is a ringer! I don't know why I didn't think of it (actually I do know - I don't think well outside the box).
I was referring to TT layout more then if you like RV'ing although it does give you a foray into the rv lifestyle. RV layouts are different and some work better then others. It's better to get it right the first time then an expensive mistake.

Relax RV'ing is a blast, don't get stressed.

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
Some people feel the need to take the kitchen sink, and would put in 5000 lb cargo if they had the space.

You need lightweight dishes, basic cooking supplies, just enough cleaning stuff to get through for a while (broom, dustpan, dish detergent, maybe one basic disinfecting cleaner for the bathroom/kitchen). You don't need to replicate a full home kitchen.

And you don't need a full wardrobe---just basic seasonal clothes.

Kids don't have to take all the toys... they need to be outside, hiking or sight-seeing or playing in the mud.

Keep the outside cooking limited to marshmallows/hotdogs on a roasting stick, and you don't need tons of extra gear for that. You do want some reasonably comfortable lightweight chairs.

Your daughter is the perfect age to enjoy travelling and camping. Go and have a GREAT time!
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

Nvr2loud
Explorer
Explorer
I have a dry-weight trailer of 4370 lbs.

Fully loaded, ready for a week away (!!!WITHOUT WATER!!!) weighs in at 6006 lbs. Family of five.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Water.......

Everyone is kinda afraid of carrying water.
Yes it does add weight but has minimal affect on MPG.....wind drag is biggie for that

Water....
We use to only carry 1/3 fresh water tank
Use to. Then one CG had main water line break. Took a week to fix then couple days flushing before it passed testing for use.
Last time we ever got caught without FULL fresh water tank

We also changed HOW we used water.
CG water source was for filling/re-filling fresh water tank even when at FHU sites.
$6000 in damages/costs due to flood while hooked up to city water.
After that on-board pump only.

Water....

As for weight.
Know EXACTLY how much truck/trailer weights and how much our stuff weighs.
Go across CAT Scales once a year.
$10/12 cheap price for REAL information
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31