cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hallmark vs. Jayco vs. Four Wheel

7lazy77
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking for an older pop up for my truck & found several of these models in my area...all made in 1987 (Hallmark, Jayco Sportster & Four Wheel Grandby. They are all about in similar condition. I can find quite a bit of information on the newer built brands, but not much on older. Can anybody give me some information on the older ones. Is one of these built better than the other? Which one will do better in cooler weather? Any other information is appreciated.
2011 Ram 3500 Cab Chassis
2011 Raptor 3812 Toy Hauler
70's Red Dale Truck Camper
9 REPLIES 9

whizbang
Explorer II
Explorer II
7lazy77,

I have had BOTH the Jayco and the Four Wheel. My aluminum framed Four Wheel Camper was a 1984 Fleet model. My Jayco sportster, which I still have, is a 1994 wood framed camper.

The Four Wheel design hasn't changed. They are still made the same as they were back then.

As others have stated, condition is the most important thing.

That said, I strongly prefer the Jayco to the Four Wheel Camper.

The FWC sagged toward the driver side. All the cabinets and tanks where on the drivers side so the camper was badly out of level. The Jayco is dead level.

I find the wood framed Jayco much warmer in sub-freezing weather.

The windows in the FWC are above and below your eye level when seated. Visibility out of the FWC is poor. This makes for claustrophobic camping in foul weather. The Jayco is much easier to see out of.

The bed cabover on older FWC is too short to accommodate bedding. A sleeping bag or bedding must be removed and stored every time the top gets lowered. The Jayco cab over is tall enough that I leave the sleeping bags on the bed year round. No hassle. No fuss.

In my opinion, the Jayco is a vastly superior camper.

However, I believe that condition is the over riding factor. A nice FWC would be better than a moldy, beat up Jayco.

Good luck. You are welcome to drop me a PM if you have any specific issues or questions.

Whizbang
2002 Winnebago Minnie
http://www.raincityhome.com/RAWH/index.htm

Wyo350
Explorer
Explorer
Before you buy anything measure first. My old FWC would not fit in a newer truck bed.

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
I believe the Jayco and Hallmark both had wood frames and might have rot, the four wheeler should be aluminum framed.

7lazy77
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 1-ton chassis cab flatbed dually. It is the truck that I use for all my towing...regardless if it is a stock trailer, flatbed full of hay or my 39' Raptor toy hauler.

Thanks for your input camperfamily & Earl E...there is one of the campers that is in very good condition. You would never guess that it was a 30 year old camper.

Earl_E
Explorer
Explorer
When looking at older RV's I don't think the brand means much. The upkeep is far more important. At 30 years of age, if one is in better shape, less dings and dents, no obvious water leaks, no great signs of wear and tear, that is the one I would buy. If it is in good shape I wouldn't worry about the age of a TC.
2007 Northwoods Arctic Fox 32 5S Fifth Wheel used for fulltiming for several years--SOLD
2014 Sunnybrook 26rl to poke around the smaller parks in the great Southwest
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Diesel
Prodigy brake control

camperfamily
Explorer
Explorer
Given the age I'd think a carful inspection would be most meaningful to me. Check carefully for leaks (rot) and make sure everything works (at least that you want to work).
2011 Cougar 322QBS
2007 Pilgrim 278BHSS (Sold)
2023 F359 CCLB 7.3
2013 F350 CC LB 6.7 (Retired)
2002 F350 CC LB PS (Retired)
B&W Companion Hitch

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
What truck are you planning to use for these campers?

7lazy77
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
1987? An almost 30 year old RV is chancy at best.

For what I am wanting to use it for, that is all that I need. I don't need a $5k, $10k or $20k+ outfit to take out a couple times a year.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
1987? An almost 30 year old RV is chancy at best.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad