cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

ham radio mount on '11 and up Ford Super Duty?

johndeerefarmer
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you have a '11 or up Super Duty where did you mount your 2M antenna and what mount did you use?
2020 Ford 350 6.7 PSD & 2017 F150 3.5 EB max tow
GD Reflection 29rs
10 REPLIES 10

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
I have this mount and you my be able to get it from HRO. I have a FT-857 with a screw driver antenna. There are other suitable mounts on E-Bay. As far as UHF/VHF I punched a hole in the roof and mounted a duel band antenna there. Although I cant attest to the later years noise problems my 2000 PSD only has a noise problem on 40 meters and it is injector noise. I never bothered trying to element it

73's
2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

johndeerefarmer
Explorer III
Explorer III
here

I used this mount and it worked fine. Ford designed the sheet metal with a larger piece along the lip just the right size to mount this bracket.
GD Reflection 29rs

johndeerefarmer
Explorer III
Explorer III
TXiceman wrote:
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamantm/0935.html

PRM-T is the mount I used. Works fine. I used a 1/2" braid to make sure it grounded to the chassis.

ken

Thanks, that item shows discontinued. I will have to see if their is a replacement. I may end up making one. I have a plasma cutter, Mig and Tig and can fabricate about anything- I just get tired of having to modify or build everything that I need.
GD Reflection 29rs

TXiceman
Explorer II
Explorer II
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamantm/0935.html

PRM-T is the mount I used. Works fine. I used a 1/2" braid to make sure it grounded to the chassis.

ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
johndeerefarmer wrote:
Gdetrailer wrote:
I fabricated a mount for my Dual band (2/440hz) antenna using the truck bed stake pocket. Made the mount low enough to allow me replace the plastic cover if I need to remove the antenna for any reason.

I also added a spring to the mount since the antenna is about 48" long and it hits our garage doors goin in and out.. The spring allows the antenna to move without breaking off..

I had a fabricated mount on my old truck on the inside of the bed rail up by the cab. I want a tonneau cover for this one so can't go that route.

Thanks

Sounds to me like your gonna have to go with a mag mount on roof or some sort of front or rear bumper mount.

If it is a soft cover with velcro or snaps you could easily still use the stake pocket by simply passing a metal bracket out the side between the cover and bed rail or even in the front of the bed.

A hard cover, you could drill through the cover and use a NMO mount..

Plenty of ways, just need to be a bit creative to get where you need to go.

johndeerefarmer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Gdetrailer wrote:
I fabricated a mount for my Dual band (2/440hz) antenna using the truck bed stake pocket. Made the mount low enough to allow me replace the plastic cover if I need to remove the antenna for any reason.

I also added a spring to the mount since the antenna is about 48" long and it hits our garage doors goin in and out.. The spring allows the antenna to move without breaking off..

I had a fabricated mount on my old truck on the inside of the bed rail up by the cab. I want a tonneau cover for this one so can't go that route.

Thanks
GD Reflection 29rs

johndeerefarmer
Explorer III
Explorer III
TXiceman wrote:
I have a NMO mounted Larsen dual band antenna mounted on the right side lip of the hood.

If you are planning to go HF, plan to put up with a lot of RFI. I have tried all sorts of chokes and have everything bonded and I still get the injector noise. Ford is of zero help on the issue. A friend has his FT857D (same radio I use) on his 2012 3500 Duramax and no noise problems. He is using a larger Tarheel antenna than I have.

SO my advice to a HF radio operator, is to not buy a FOrd until they get their injectors properly shielded.

Ken

No HF, just 2M and 440. What kind of mount did you use? It doesn't look like the 90 degree Larsen would work? Do you have a pix?

Thanks
GD Reflection 29rs

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III

TXiceman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a NMO mounted Larsen dual band antenna mounted on the right side lip of the hood.

If you are planning to go HF, plan to put up with a lot of RFI. I have tried all sorts of chokes and have everything bonded and I still get the injector noise. Ford is of zero help on the issue. A friend has his FT857D (same radio I use) on his 2012 3500 Duramax and no noise problems. He is using a larger Tarheel antenna than I have.

SO my advice to a HF radio operator, is to not buy a FOrd until they get their injectors properly shielded.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Buy a NGP 2 meter ant and mount just about any place.