cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone else panicked after they bought a trailer?

mhill260
Explorer
Explorer
I think I'm nuts. We just bought a new trailer and we traded in my old tacoma for a larger truck that could pull it. We looked for months, went to RV shows, looked at dozens of sizes, floorplans, and styles. We finally settled on one, and found a really nice rockwood mini. We stayed in our budget, and the truck is used.

My wife is thrilled, and I'm panicked. I've towed it without any problem, but I feel like I won't be able to manage it, and I'm feeling guilty for spending the money. We've been talking about this for years, and now that we've finally done it, I'm not getting the enjoyment I should be because I don't seem to be able to give myself permission to. We're taking our first trip in a week, and I'm looking forward to it.

I was just wondering if anyone else had this happen. I know this isn't a support group, but I'd appreciate any advice or experiences anyone could share.

Thanks
Rockwood Mini Lite 2507S
2018 Ford F150 XLT 5.0 V8
48 REPLIES 48

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
This is about money, isn't it?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
I’ve had truck campers (and a few class A motorhomes) for three decades.
I’ve always considered RVs a terrible investment. I’ve always had older stuff that I bought super cheap and fixed up a bit.
My last camper finally developed more rot than was worth fixing and the hunt for the next one began.
I’d always wanted a fiberglass Bigfoot or Northern Lite, and looked for one cheap.
Turns out that doesn’t exist. The budget got inched upward the more I looked.

I’m now the proud owner of a $40,000+ truck camper.
And I immediately felt EXACTLY like you do!!!

Then things escalated. I wanted to keep it at home but the HOA nazis won’t let me. After various incidents, I’m selling the house and buying a nice country place with 5 acres, where I can put up a huge shop and keep whatever I want, indoors out of the weather.

That got out of hand.... but I think I’m happier.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

catkins
Explorer
Explorer
Buyers remorse. I have had it four time now............... Once you get out a few times and get more comfortable with the new routine, all will be well. Normal reaction to the unknown and when you keep second guessing your decision. Let it go, plan a trip and go enjoy. You will do fine. Have a problem? - ask a nearby trailer user for assistance. we have all been there one way or another. Happy Trails

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would not buy a new RV for any reason because of the depreciation. I buy used RVs and have had several of them, but never experienced buyer's remorse. I have sold all of them for very close to what I paid for them. I like hundred dollar bills. I bought my Ford truck new in 2002, probably my last new truck. It is going up in value and the best vehicle I have ever owned.

I got a little quesy buying a 1965 Corvette once for $5,400 because that was a lot money at the time. I have seller's remorse because that car today is worth around $60,000.

mhill260
Explorer
Explorer
LanceRKeys wrote:
Let’s think positive for a minute I think that will help. Why don’t you tell us what you like about the trailer, what kind of truck you got. Where your first trip will be what modifications you plan to make. Take the time to brag a little.

We got a rockwood 2507 that was marked down at a dealer near us. It's a couples trailer. My wife has been after me to do this for several years and I kept putting it off. We put down a pretty good down payment and we stayed under our top budget by a little. We did finance part of it, but the payment is manageable for us. We also got a used 2018 f150 that only had 17000 miles on it at 20K less than the original owner paid for it. It had a full tow package, and I traded in our 2017 Tacoma on it. We didn't pay a lot for that truck and we had 5000 in it to put on the used truck. I was going to tow the camper with the Tacoma, but I got a lot of advice that it was probably not a great idea. So to be safer and more confident towing, we traded it. In the end, the new payment on the used truck is almost $100 less than the previous truck. I think I've just been a little overwhelmed making so many big purchases at once. And going Toyota to Ford left me wondering if I was making a mistake. I'm a confident decision maker usually at work, etc. But when I make these types of decisions for myself, I tend to second guess, etc. I really appreciate all of the thoughts and feedback, very helpful. I want this to be a good thing for my wife, she deserves it.
Rockwood Mini Lite 2507S
2018 Ford F150 XLT 5.0 V8

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I enjoy towing my TT more than just driving my TV alone. The extra alertness, being able to stop just about anywhere for lunch, the slower speed. You’ll enjoy it too!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

LanceRKeys
Explorer
Explorer
Let’s think positive for a minute I think that will help. Why don’t you tell us what you like about the trailer, what kind of truck you got. Where your first trip will be what modifications you plan to make. Take the time to brag a little.

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
You are not nuts, this happens a lot after major purchases, or life changes. I've been there too, and it will stress you out, so just try to relax, and enjoy the new truck and camper.
You can get a lot of good advise on this forum, so don't hesitate to ask questions, and post some pics of your new rig.

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Same thing happens when you are shopping for a new truck for example. Get all excited and worked up with anticipation, then when you actually sign the purchase agreement paperwork AND the loan paperwork does it hit you that "What did I/we just get ourselves into?". IMO, doesn't make any difference if it's a vehicle, RV, pool or "X", it's a lotta money. KInda feel guilty a little, but as time passes the "guilt" eases. Was always told you can't take it with you, so might just as well enjoy it while you can. So yes, we feel rotten on the $$$ we've spent on things, BUT we also look at it this way. If iy brings us smiles, creates memories and had fun, then it's worth it! No different than those that go to Vegas or on a big vaykay. It's called disposable income and if you can afford to drop $$$ @ Vegas or long vaykay, buying a truck, RV or "X" shouldn't bother you. I'll close by adding this from a high school teacher who said once while on a particular subject about health insurance. It's nothing more than a simple bet your going to die, yet we pay the premiums anyways.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
It's just Buyer's Remorse.
Go use your new RV, you'll get over it quickly.

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think apprehension might be a good word for this. We've all been thru it. Saddle up and ride. If all of us can do it, you certainly can.
You're already good enough to realize that you are a noob, that's half the battle.
Puma 30RKSS

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
I pay cash for toys which I think keeps us from spending too much. Because you stayed within your budget my guess is you'll get over it.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
When we bought our Voltage toy hauler we had some serious doubts as the trailer was turning out to be a piece of junk. Fortunately we kept our cool, fixed the things that needed fixing (not relying on a dealer to do the work, I did it all), and the Voltage has been a reliable trailer for the past five years.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

NoVa_RT
Explorer
Explorer
I’m not a trailer guy, but buyers remorse is common. Most of us only make a few big dollar purchases - house, car, and for some a RV - so it’s natural to worry about messing up something that important. I was more than a little nervous about driving a larger vehicle and spending a pretty good chunk of money, even though I was pretty sure I’d gotten a good deal on a Class B. That uneasy feeling usually passes when you realize that the reasons you made the purchase are still valid, and outweigh the subsequently manufacturered doubts. It appears you did your due diligence, looked around, stuck to your budget, and are ready to go. Doing relatively easy trips at first might also have a calming effect. Enjoy.
2013 RT 190-Popular