cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Has anyone got rear ended while on the highway?

kennyd63
Explorer
Explorer
while on the 295 standing to merge on to the 95 in Florida. Here comes Mr. speedy and Bam!! rear ends my T.T. what a way to start your vacation, with only 2 more hours to arrive to my destination. Has anyone ever experience an incident like this while traveling?:M
2019 Braxton Creek 24RLS
2010 Forest River Salem 403FB-Destination Trailer
2014 F150 4X4 Crew Cab
40 REPLIES 40

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
I also want to know. were you sitting still on the ramp? If so. Why? I have seen traffic so bad you couldn't merge, but run along the medium till I find a hole. I always try to hit the bottom of the ramp at the speed limit of the interstate. Gives you more options.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
I was in my car and got rearended by a motorhome while stopped at a toll booth. He hit me so hard it knocked me into the car ahead and that car into the one in front of him. Only minor injuries to everyone. Two cars totaled and the front one badly damaged. The MH driver asked why everyone was stopped.
The State Police ticketed him for failure to control vehicle and NO insurance.
The MH driver argued that the rest of us involved should be ticketed for stopping on an interstate highway. He lost that argument.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sorry about the rear ending.........

Accidents are never fun regardless of when they happen

Please clarify

WHY you were 'standing to merge' :H
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Mark_and_Linda
Explorer
Explorer
Some drivers today have no respect for others. I just got back last week pulling my little two wheel trailer with my tools on it through Atlanta. I thought I was going to get slammed with it.
Mark

icanon
Explorer
Explorer
South Carolina idiot stopped between exit and hi-way as I was exiting he decides to put out in front of me, no flashers, not excelerating just crawling onto the exit, I slammed on the brakes locking up the TT wheels I was along side of him trying to avoid hitting him and going in the ditch. When I passed him I was looking out my driver's side window looking at the car that pulled out in front of me the driver was on his cell!!! That for me was a close call and a scary one, could have killed me and my daughter! I was soooo mad, dam cell phones while driving. I'm still angry each time I think of it.
Loving wife and 2 beautiful daughters.
Chocolate Lab, Lily
2014 Dodge Ram Laramie Hemi 5.7 with 3.92
2014 Dutchmen Kodiak 290BHSL
ProPride 3P Hitch
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30C
Love my Weber Q1200
Me a Happy man on retirement!!!

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
It's never happened to me, but it did happen to my parents when I was a kid. I think we were in Texas somewhere, at a stop light. I was about 10 or 11 years old. The tow vehicle was a 1963 Pontiac Station Wagon and the trailer was an 18 foot "Phoenix" travel trailer (see my profile page for a photo of it).

All of a sudden, and I remember, .... BANG ... and the car lunged forward.

Now back in the "day" .... they made trailers and cars solid. The guy behind dad has a completely bent up bumper where he slammed into the sewer hose bumper on the trailer. The trailer sewer bumper had only scratch marks, and absolutely no affect on the car.

I remember my dad dickering with the guy and decided (my dad) didn't need to do anything since his vehicles were perfectly fine. But the other guy was on his own, since he had the damage. I'm not sure how it all finally came out, but we went on our happy, merry way, and I never knew anything else.

I "think" back in the day .... no one had any kind of insurance then. That's probably why they settled the way they did. You can't get away with that these day!

Houston_Remodel
Explorer
Explorer
Birmingham AL during morning rush hour a few years ago -

We were crawling along at maybe 5 mph. I was in a 'must exit' lane and didn't want to exit the highway so I was stopped waiting for the semi next to me to finish inching forward so I could change lanes and get behind him. I kept an eye on the side view mirror to see if any cars were coming northward toward town. Sure enough some guy in his fully restored mid 60's muscle car came flying over the crest of the hill.

To avoid hitting us, he elected to veer into the center divider. As soon as he did this I pulled forward as to get the cab of the truck next to the rear wheels of the semi. The car bounced off the center divider and sent parts flying under the truck as the car banged into the semi's rear wheels from the other side.

Miraculously the driver walked away. The semi and my truck had minor damage mostly from flying car parts.
2015 Starcraft Launch 24RLS
2014 Ram 2500 diesel 4x4
Guarded by 2 Jack Russells

amandasgramma
Explorer
Explorer
Question....was that one of the on ramps that has a stop light???? If not, why were you sitting? We've had some pretty darn close incidents at merge lanes, both while in the lane and while on the freeways. People just aren't paying attention and some have never been taught the right way to merge. (rear ending someone is NOT the right way!!!!) Hope everyone is okay!
My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds

Dee and Bob
plus 2 spoiled cats
On the road FULL-TIME.......see ya there, my friend

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
kennyd63 wrote:
while on the 295 standing to merge on to the 95 in Florida. Here comes Mr. speedy and Bam!! rear ends my T.T. what a way to start your vacation, with only 2 more hours to arrive to my destination. Has anyone ever experience an incident like this while traveling?:M

Pretty close but never made contact.

My coworker just about got killed on the Borman Expressway from a kid hitting his car, going about 80 mph. Pushed him across all 5 lanes and bounced back, luckily not getting hit again in the processes. Out of work for a couple of months in the hospital and rehab.
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.

GrandpaKip
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hope everyone is OK.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
I guess it could happen anytime, sorry that it happened to you.

My buddy had his RV catch fire while climbing a hill in Pennsylvania, and had to drive his small toad home. He was left without credit cards or anything from the RV!

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com