cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone looked at the Jeep Gladiator?

Redcatcher70
Explorer
Explorer
Saw one on the street yesterday and glanced at the specs online. Interesting numbers and features for towing with a 3.6L engine with a 6 speed manual or 8 speed auto., 7600 tow cap. And 1600 lb. cc. I will not buy one, but anyone who likes back country camping might want to look at one...
Dave & Pat
2008 Hi-Lo 19T
2004 F250, XLT Crew Cab, V10, finally, enough power!
"No kids, no pets, made it to retirement"
67 REPLIES 67

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
BigDinAZ wrote:
Flashman wrote:
They are starting to show up in Tucson. Dealer couldn't keep them on the lot long enough for me to check them out. Bad timing for the Ranger to come out at the same time as the Jeep.

They have them here in Sierra Vista, the problem for me is that 3.6 Penstar. If only they had put the 4.0 in.
I am a huge jeep fan, but my love goes way back. I had a 69 Willies Jeepster Commando, and a 77 CJ5 (that we put a 350 in).
I just don't like those Penstar's.

LOL... My take away is Flash had to take his big bad ram to the shop for a repair or safety recall. Anyways I'm sure he'll have plenty of opportunities to visit the Glads. :B
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
BigDinAZ wrote:
Flashman wrote:
They are starting to show up in Tucson. Dealer couldn't keep them on the lot long enough for me to check them out. Bad timing for the Ranger to come out at the same time as the Jeep.

They have them here in Sierra Vista, the problem for me is that 3.6 Penstar. If only they had put the 4.0 in.
I am a huge jeep fan, but my love goes way back. I had a 69 Willies Jeepster Commando, and a 77 CJ5 (that we put a 350 in).

The old 4.0 was great in the Wranglers and Cherokees of its day, but in a truck as heavy as the Gladiator it would be a gutless turd on the highway. The Pentastar doesn't have much low end but it's got the horsepower needed for good highway performance, which is where nearly all Gladiators will spend most of their time. The Ecodiesel should be a great motor for this truck.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

BigDinAZ
Explorer
Explorer
Flashman wrote:

2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Crew-cab Long Box DRW, 6.7L Cummins Diesel, 4:10 rear, 14,000 GVWR, 5,704 Payload, 30,300 GCWR.

2019 Coachmen Chaparral Lite 30RLS, 34', triple slide, 11,000GVWR.

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
If it wasn't for having to pull my TT id get one as soon as the prices settle. I think the diesel would be perfect in it.

I've also seen a few videos where people have dropped a Hellcat engine 700+hp in there. The jeep engineer confirmed they had tested hemis in them, and said it fits like a glove, but it took up all the crumple zone space so the would not pass safety tests.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
ShinerBock wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
I've yet to see one on the road yet.

I have seen several roaming around the Texas hill country and even a lifted one with what looked like 37's. This is mostly due to all of the rock climbing off road parks around here like Cline Ranch and Hidden Falls.

That's strange... Here in the Houston area you typically see new released (including very expensive) vehicles on the roads as soon as they hit dealer lots. I've been making trips to our deer camp and fishing trips to the coast and haven't seen any in these parts either. Having said that I see 4 door Wranglers every day.

Hopefully they ride better than the Wranglers and with a longer wheelbase they should, but I wouldn't want one with a diesel.

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
They are quite popular in my area but as a Jeep person, I see other equally equipped vehicles more affordable but speaking from experience......nothing compares to a Rubicon offroad.

RoyJ
Explorer
Explorer
mich800 wrote:
It still rides and drives like a Wrangler. So having a V8 is not a big deal for extra towing. The engine performance seems in line for the intended use. If you like the capabilities of the Wrangler but looking for more cargo space this is a good option.

Most medium size trucks are limited by cooling capacity. Jalopnik has an excellent article, where a Jeep engineer explained just how far they went to achieve the tow rating:

https://jalopnik.com/the-engineering-behind-the-jeep-gladiators-tow-rating-1833657453

Many people wonder why the diesel Colorado can't tow much, and it's not because of power / torque. With a diesel's heat rejection: intercooler, the engine itself, and EGR load, it can't tow 7000+ lbs which uphill in 100-degree ambient with AC on. OEM have very rigorous cooling requirements.

This is why DOT and Transport Canada here do not enforce "tow rating", as it's not primarily safety driven, but power-train/marketing.

parker_rowe
Explorer
Explorer
ShinerBock wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:

I have seen several roaming around the Texas hill country and even a lifted one with what looked like 37's. This is mostly due to all of the rock climbing off road parks around here like Cline Ranch and Hidden Falls.

I've seen a lot on the road here as well.

A couple already with new wheels, bigger tires, led light bars...you know, the standard mall duty Jeep package.

Of course, a lot of dealers kit brand new trucks out like that and sell them that way, since it is so popular in this area.
2015 Starcraft TravelStar 239TBS 6500 GVWR
1997 GMC Suburban K2500 7.4 Vortec/4.10
1977 Kawasaki KZ1000

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:

2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
Dodge dealership in Wenatchee Wa has one oftheir lot.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Flashman
Explorer II
Explorer II

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
I saw one in a showroom and thought it was hideous looking. Sticker price was in the 50s. But I am not a Jeep person in general.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
If I wanted a mid-size, that is what I would buy. But I would get the Eco Diesel.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
IdaD wrote:
It's the only midsize truck I would seriously consider other than a Tacoma, if I were in that smaller truck market. The blend of off-road capability and towing capacity is pretty appealing. I assume you'll give up a little bit on suspension flex and ride quality with stiffer springs compared to a Wrangler, but in return you get better towing ability plus all the cargo space in the bed.

Ride quality it very comparable. Not much difference. Maybe a little less wandering in the Gladitor. But comparing similar trims like Rubicon/Rubicon or Sahara/Overland you probably will not notice much difference.