cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Heavier Tires on Travel Trailer

rlyons
Explorer
Explorer
I have been riding on the original China made Westlake tires on my 2015 Flagstaff 26FKWS travel trailer. The original tires were load range C on 14 inch rims. I have since ordered new Goodyear Endurance tires in the same tire size but with a heavier load range D rating. The old tires listed a maximum pressure rating of 50 lbs, the new ones maximum are 80 lbs. I'm wondering what pressure I should run the new tires at because they already have a greater load range carrying capacity but am concerned if I run them at 80 lbs will it be too stiff a ride on the trailer. I have the torsion type axels on this trailer.Should I go with 60 lbs or run at the full 80 psi?

NOTE: Did you see the "Announcement : ★★READ BEFORE POSTING HERE★★" located at the top of this forum?
    "Forum Posting Help and Support is reserved for questions on how to post in the forums, signature and photo testing, reporting website or member account issues. Please avoid using Forum Posting Help and Support for RV related questions, as doing so can delay responses to your thread. Instead, create future threads in the RV FORUM which corresponds to the subject of your topic. Thank-you!"
rthomaslyons
28 REPLIES 28

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
As others have stated load range D is usually 65#. Another benefit is the higher pressure will have less rolling resistance which means less heat and slightly better mileage.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
dodge guy wrote:
I have never seen an ST tire in a LR โ€œEโ€. Even a D would be hard to come by.

Read the specs here and you can see that there are LR D and E ST tires.

https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/endurance/sizes-specs?cta=TireDetailsViewSizesSpecs
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
CALandLIN wrote:
LRD tires are 65 PSI tires, not 80. LRE is 80 PSI.

Make sure your wheels and valve stems are rated for 65 PSI and then air all tires to 65 PSI.

Ditto.

Both 14" Endurance tires show 65 psi here: https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/endurance/sizes-specs?cta=TireDetailsViewSizesSpecs
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
tewitt1949 wrote:
I had to replace my tires on out TT and it came with 12 ply tires. I wanted something heaver. I ended up going to a 14 ply tire that is used on trailers that are used to haul bull dozers etc. (construction equipment) They were only $20 more per tire than the 12 ply.

Seems you might be confused since AFAIK no TT has ever been supplied with 12-ply (that's F load range 95psi inflation) tires. 14-ply is a G load range with 110psi inflation and that would be silly to be putting that heavy of a tire on a TT with a GVWR in the 10 to 12K range.

There might be a couple of HUGE 5ers like the 40'+ Mobile Suites tri-axle that have this load range tires, but those are a very, very small number percentage wise of RV trailers.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

tewitt1949
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had to replace my tires on out TT and it came with 12 ply tires. I wanted something heaver. I ended up going to a 14 ply tire that is used on trailers that are used to haul bull dozers etc. (construction equipment) They were only $20 more per tire than the 12 ply.
Terry Witt

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
theoldwizard1 wrote:
Trailer tires are ALWAYS run at maximum pressure as listed on the sidewall !

Nope, try again. Yes, if the tires are not waaay over rated for the trailer weight, but what would be the point in putting almost double the required psi in a tire? Just to see it ride like a rock?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
JIMNLIN wrote:
Atlee wrote:
Go look at the new Goodyear Endurance then. All of their tires start at LRD, even the 14".

dodge guy wrote:
I have never seen an ST tire in a LR โ€œEโ€. Even a D would be hard to come by.

JMO but I took it dodge guy was referring to the 14" size tires in question.

Thanks! Yes I was referring to the 14โ€ tires. With 14โ€™s your limited in weight ratings. 15โ€™s opens that up to almost everything.

I run Carlisle HDโ€™s in a ST225/75/15 LR โ€œEโ€. Best tire I have used!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Camper_G
Explorer
Explorer
My 15" power king power str radials are LRD and i bought them that way on purpose for extra margin. I run them at 65psi with no issues and they are 4yrs old now. China bombs but pretty decent
2017 Dodge Ram 2500 HD, 4x4, CCSB, 6.4L HEMI, Snow Chief, tow package.,1989 Skyline Layton model 75-2251.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
fdwt994 wrote:
How can I check the pressure my rims are rated for?

They are stamped on the backside of the rim. Because of the design of my spokes and my large brake drums, I wasn't able to read mine. I had the tire installer check it for me when they had the rims off.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Skidus1
Explorer
Explorer
Mine were stamped on the inside of the wheel. My GY Endurance are right at the max psi and load of the wheel.

fdwt994
Explorer
Explorer
spoon059 wrote:
Back on topic...

OP, when you get your tires changed, have them check the max PSI your rim is rated to handle. I bet your Load Range D tires are actually rated to 65, as 80 PSI is usually in LRE tires.

I'd think your 14" rim is rated to 65 PSI, and I would air them up that high. The stiffer your tires, the better your overall experience will be. They will flex less when traveling, making them stay cooler and last longer. You will also experience less sway with less flex in your tire.

How can I check the pressure my rims are rated for?
2018 F250 6.2 Crew Cab
2018 Salem Hemisphere GLX 312QBUD
A family who loves to camp!

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Back on topic...

OP, when you get your tires changed, have them check the max PSI your rim is rated to handle. I bet your Load Range D tires are actually rated to 65, as 80 PSI is usually in LRE tires.

I'd think your 14" rim is rated to 65 PSI, and I would air them up that high. The stiffer your tires, the better your overall experience will be. They will flex less when traveling, making them stay cooler and last longer. You will also experience less sway with less flex in your tire.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Atlee wrote:
Go look at the new Goodyear Endurance then. All of their tires start at LRD, even the 14".

dodge guy wrote:

JMO but I took it dodge guy was referring to the 14" size tires in question.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Atlee
Explorer II
Explorer II

dodge guy wrote:
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch