Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hello Everyone. Rookie here!

abuck280
Explorer
Explorer
Hi guys,
I am new to the travel trailer world! I am 47 years old and have a wife and a 16 year old daughter. I live in Southern California.
I really fell into this trailer, so let me lay out the story here:
We have wanted a trailer for years, and times have been challenging the last several years due to the economy. We have managed to make it, and this year has been a bit better.

Ok, lol so now that we got that straight let me get to the meat and potatoes.
My dad has a friend thats almost 80 years old and has this trailer in storage. SO I ask how long it is. HE says he thinks 23 feet. So I finally get around to measuring a week later. My driveway is 24.5 feet long. So he verifies it will fit in my driveway!
He goes the following weekend and picks it up out of storage and brings it home.
My dad calls and says it's there and come take a look, but dont feel obligated.
So I get there and it's a double axle Komfort 23 footer. Looks a little dirty from being in storage but very cool looking.
I remember when I was a kid at the beach one year seeing a trailer with a window in the front facing the ocean with a big table in there and bench seats. I remember saying to myself, that trailer is THE TRAILER to have!
This is that trailer!!!! With the fold out awning in front to uncover the huge front windows that open up!
Then I noticed like new Goodyear tires all the way around. And a brand new Goodyear spare on the back. Up front is a electric jack;) with twin 7 gallon propane tanks and twin 2 year old Costco batteries.
The door drags on the corner when closing, so I figure I can fix that myself.
Inside, the Coleman AC unit works great!!!:B Everything is very clean, it even has a propane/electric frigerator.
So, Ronny tells me, I will tell you what. You pay my last months storage(100) and the tags that I purchased for this year, and you can have it. 179.99 total. So I thought I better jump on it. I gave him a extra 50.00 to take his wife out to dinner and towed it home.
I have trailer brakes in my Ford F-250 Diesel. But this will be my first time towing anything with this truck.
SO I am the proud owner of a 1982 23' Comfort that sleeps 6! HA!!!
Here's a few pictures for you guys.

35 REPLIES 35

abuck280
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you ReneeG. Yes, I am very excited and the dogs are ready to roll! I have been working on it alot! I want to take out each window, repaint the frames and reseal them back in place. New screens too. Doing most of the work myself. Im kind of a "jack of all trades, master of none" type of guy.
I have built motors, old cars etc. This will be alot of fun. That roof about killed me though. 100 degrees when we did it.

jbealecass,
Sorry, yes I get a little too excited I guess. Even at 47. HA! It's probably alittle annoying so I will tone it down.

MArk5w,
Yes, I think it's going to be alot of fun for sure. Thank you.

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
Shavano wrote:
Thread has been edited to remove political content. Any more and thread will be closed.

Thanks but where did my post go? It had 2 paragraphs, the second of which was (a) on topic, and (b) exactly the same wording as the post by sandsprite above.

I would like this fixed please.
Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_

mark5w
Explorer
Explorer
Anything that brings back childhood memories is great. Clean er up, test er out and your red to go. Forum is great place for all kinds of help, and opinions.(and you'll get a lot of both) Good luck and enjoy your rving trips.
'13 2018 JAYCO EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS- '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension

jbealecass
Explorer
Explorer
I love all of your exclaimation points! Can tell that you are excited!!

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the additional pictures. I'm impressed. You should look up the story of Komfort some time. Very impressive too. Nice features on that new rig of yours and your TV - super nice too. You've done a lot of work already so I bet you're excited to take that first trip. Those two dogs of yours are cuties! I too had an Augie - but she was a Rottweiller! Had a min doxy, but his name was Buck. Now have three fur kids that travel with us. You'll have to take a pic to the bunk when it's folded down. What an exciting thing for a kid to sleep in!
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Shavano
Explorer
Explorer
Thread has been edited to remove political content. Any more and thread will be closed.

'15 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD
'18 Forest River Avenger :C "Dolci"
Kipor KGE3500Ti

CHECK OUT THE RV.NET BLOGS!!

abuck280
Explorer
Explorer
Original clock works great and keeps time too! We can fold this down and it double as a bunk bed! Very nice! I like how we can have two full tables and benches in the trailer.

I cleaned up the bulb and the handle light works fine!

sandsprite
Explorer
Explorer
As for the RV you have fallen into -- looks like a good find and the price certainly cannot be beat. You will likely have to do some work on it but from what you said it does not appear to be a lost cause by any stretch of imagination. Lots of people have restored old TTs and the results can be quite rewarding. I wish you the best of luck in that regard.

X2

abuck280
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a few pics of the inside! The firs tis the cutting edge control center! HA!

Next is a shot with Dash and Augie! Both are ready to go camping in a heartbeat! Great little Mini's!

Here's a shot of the front! The table is in perfect shape and I put the leaf in. It can disappear and be made into a full size bed! The top fold down too for a overhead bunk bed! If my daugher falls out, she can land on us........................NOT GOOD!!! Need to put a rail up there so that does not happen!

abuck280
Explorer
Explorer
Here's what I will be towing the trailer with! 1996 Ford F-250 Turbo Diesel! 301,000 miles on it. Original motor and turbo! Does not burn any oil at all! Runs like a champ and ac blows Ice Cold!

abuck280
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you again everyone! I need to learn and go through the motions of running all the systems. The frig and freezer work great! The toilet is new, and the little shower AND bathtub are great! I am going to post some more pics! I got the original clock working too!

abuck280
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you ReneeG for the great info! I will check out all you described before we take here out.
The Seams on the roof where peeling. We cleaned them all off and put Proflex on them. I am on my third coat and then will be done.
While I was in there, I replaced both vents. Front and rear. Both had plastic rote from the sun. I have a 30x20 three layer tarp on the way to cover it up and protect the roof. Just glad I did it now before winter arrives.
Im in the roof now for 200.00, but it will be good to go! Camping world told me for a long long time, just keep the roof covered. I will probably buy a cover here for it before too long. But the 39.99 tarp will hold me over for a while.
nohurry,
Thank you for the warm welcome! I hope if I ever sell mine i can get more then I got into it! Thank you!
wmoses,
Just introduced myself, so wanted to let everyone know that I still think my country IS SPECIAL. US AMERICANS ARE SPECIAL!
Thank you for the warm wishes!
gbopp,
Thank you very much! I am happy to be here and it looks like a trailer full of nice people too. I am really excited!
Larry,
Thank you very much! I love my country. Yes, I plan on doing the wheel bearings and checking out the brakes too.
I will keep everyone posted with my progress and post more pics. I got all the ugly purple tinting scrapped off the windows yesterday.
Wishbone51,
Thanks! I still have to pinch myself that i got it! HA!!!

readytow
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the fun world of RV'ing. If you run into any problems, this is a great site to get advice, and help. Great deal on the trailer, hope you and your family enjoy many trips together, my wife and our daughter certainly do!

jf504mp
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the forum. You are going to meet some great people on here and you can find out almost anything you can think of concerning your camper. Have a great time with it.....pretty cool...John

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
No politics on this site.

What a very good deal you got there. Have any pictures of the interior? Check all the systems out for sure after you get it. Camping in your drive way he first time is a good shake down. Then stay close to home the a couple of times after that. Ask any questions you have here this site is a great resource. Have Fun!