Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hello Everyone. Rookie here!

abuck280
Explorer
Explorer
Hi guys,
I am new to the travel trailer world! I am 47 years old and have a wife and a 16 year old daughter. I live in Southern California.
I really fell into this trailer, so let me lay out the story here:
We have wanted a trailer for years, and times have been challenging the last several years due to the economy. We have managed to make it, and this year has been a bit better.

Ok, lol so now that we got that straight let me get to the meat and potatoes.
My dad has a friend thats almost 80 years old and has this trailer in storage. SO I ask how long it is. HE says he thinks 23 feet. So I finally get around to measuring a week later. My driveway is 24.5 feet long. So he verifies it will fit in my driveway!
He goes the following weekend and picks it up out of storage and brings it home.
My dad calls and says it's there and come take a look, but dont feel obligated.
So I get there and it's a double axle Komfort 23 footer. Looks a little dirty from being in storage but very cool looking.
I remember when I was a kid at the beach one year seeing a trailer with a window in the front facing the ocean with a big table in there and bench seats. I remember saying to myself, that trailer is THE TRAILER to have!
This is that trailer!!!! With the fold out awning in front to uncover the huge front windows that open up!
Then I noticed like new Goodyear tires all the way around. And a brand new Goodyear spare on the back. Up front is a electric jack;) with twin 7 gallon propane tanks and twin 2 year old Costco batteries.
The door drags on the corner when closing, so I figure I can fix that myself.
Inside, the Coleman AC unit works great!!!:B Everything is very clean, it even has a propane/electric frigerator.
So, Ronny tells me, I will tell you what. You pay my last months storage(100) and the tags that I purchased for this year, and you can have it. 179.99 total. So I thought I better jump on it. I gave him a extra 50.00 to take his wife out to dinner and towed it home.
I have trailer brakes in my Ford F-250 Diesel. But this will be my first time towing anything with this truck.
SO I am the proud owner of a 1982 23' Comfort that sleeps 6! HA!!!
Here's a few pictures for you guys.

35 REPLIES 35

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
For falling into this TT, you sure landed on 4 feet! Have a good time fixing it up, making it yours, and camping in it! You need to get a trip in before winter, otherwise, you will be chomping on the bit all winter long! Cool weather camping is fun too!
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

abuck280
Explorer
Explorer
CavemanCharlie,
Thanks for the propane tank tips! Will do for sure! Yea, I dont think my dog would like that much either. My girls dress him up and he hates it. HA!

Thanks Gypsy, those I can get on ebay for 120.00. Thats a deal! A 20x10 would be perfect.
Flyfisherman128,
Yes, I was fortunate to get it for that price for sure. We are going to use the******out of it. If we love it, which I know we will, I will more then likely get another one later on down the road.....
Twins89,
Those are some great ideas. I will certainly do as you suggested and start looking. I guess the actual awning would be easier to set up then a freestanding unit.
IF ANYONE HAS A USED ONE IN THE SO. CAL. AREA I MAY BE INTERESTED.
Thanks!

twins89
Explorer
Explorer
Check with some of the local RV dealers for an awning. A lot of folks are converting to the automatic, so they may be able to hook you up if someone bought an entire unit. (Some of us just replaced the arms). There are also lots of salvage yards with new and used. I have also seen them on craigslist when people either go seasonal and put a permanent type awning (fiberglass) off their RV or if someone is parting out a wreck or ruined RV. Patience and you will find one.
Western New Yorkers with a Westie
2000 F350 DRW 7.3 PSD crew cab
2010 Jayco Designer 37rlqs

Flyfisherman128
Explorer
Explorer
Not a trailer person....but that deal is SWEEEET!!!!

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
What a great deal. Clean that baby up and put some wax on it and go camping. For the little you have in it spring for a new awning or use an EZ-Up until you can.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've never found a accurate gage for the propane tanks. I have a magnetic stick on one that you pour hot water over and it changes color at the level of the propane. You do 2 propane tanks so open one at a time. When the first one goes empty you just open the second and then you get the first one refilled.

I like how the dogs ears flip over backward. I had a dog like that once and it was funny. You could use a clothes line clip and clip the dogs ears together on the top of his head and laugh. (Of course the dog didn't like it and would set there and give you a dirty look until you took it back off. )

abuck280
Explorer
Explorer
Hey guys,
I am looking for a used awning to put on my trailer...........lol. Boy these things are expensive! It does not have to be anything fancy. Preferably a white top.
Also, does anyone make a gauge to put on propane tanks that accurate? That would be really nice and handy.
Thank you

abuck280
Explorer
Explorer
Good Morning Wishbone,
I need to clean that thing up! It looks dirty. SimpleGreen to the rescue...

Wishbone51
Explorer
Explorer
abuck280 wrote:

I wish mine had a control panel.. On mine I have the slideout control on one wall, the battery/tanks indicator and water pump over the stove, the hot water heater (gas) switch just above the under-sink cabinet at child level, and the water heater switch (electric) behind a panel outside. I wish it was all in one place.
2017 Jayco Jay Feather 25BH
2004 Nissan Titan

abuck280
Explorer
Explorer
wmoses,
Yessir. The 7.3 is a strong motor. And I still get 16 mpg with it. I am looking to have the drivers seat bottom redone, and hopefully it will run another 300,000 miles.
I just replaced all the tierods and put new bilstein shocks on the front end. Had her aligned and found out the camber adjusters where shot. Most people do not even know these trucks have them.
It rides so much better and quieter now with the wheels sitting square on the road!
So what could I upgrade on the trailer to make life much easier on the beach? I know the girls want a flat panel TV it here. I would like to convert the running lights to led ones. Possible the indoor lights as well.
Oh, and I do not have a awning. Need to find one and get it installed.
Thank you

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
abuck280 wrote:
wmoses,
Yea, what happened to your post???? Was that the post about reading the story on the Komfort trailer? Where can I find that? I would love to read it.
Thank you and sorry that happened.

Thanks to Shavano it is back on page 1. No it was not the story on the Komfort. Thanks for putting up the photos - old trailer but it looks like a very nice project to work on. As someone else suggested, you might even want to do some upgrades and freshening up.

But the truck - if it is as you said that is a great machine .... Wore its miles very well, it looks like ... Nice combo.
Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_

Shavano
Explorer
Explorer
wmoses wrote:

Thanks but where did my post go? It had 2 paragraphs, the second of which was (a) on topic, and (b) exactly the same wording as the post by sandsprite above.

I would like this fixed please.

Fixed.

'15 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD
'18 Forest River Avenger :C "Dolci"
Kipor KGE3500Ti

CHECK OUT THE RV.NET BLOGS!!

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
abuck280 wrote:
wmoses,
Yea, what happened to your post???? Was that the post about reading the story on the Komfort trailer? Where can I find that? I would love to read it.

Maybe his was a link to the article in Trailer Life years back about the Komfort story. I've got that issue somewhere in my "archived" cupboard!
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

abuck280
Explorer
Explorer
wmoses,