cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help find this floorplan

Kalabin
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I are doing some pre-purchase homework for next year. We have found a floor plan we like however finding other manufacturers with a similar floor plan is proving to be difficult.

OutdoorsRV 23DBS

The other floor plan we "love" is the Jayco 28BHBE however there are no dealers near Alaska that want to deal on pricing. This unit alone they want 35k+ shipping, Indiana has it for 22k.

The big reasons we like it is the double wide bunks for our son, large holding tanks, 60x80 queen bed (I am 6'2") and the entertainment center in the middle. Only reason for the entertainment center is for rainy days and we are hoping to do some 2-3 week vacations in the future with it.

We are not opposed to the typical 26BHS models with the couch as well, however up here in Alaska the smaller the TT the easier it is to get into campgrounds.

Money is always a factor, the Creekside campers go for 30k+ by the time they get to Alaska. I looked at the Keystone Passports but their smaller holding tanks are a no-go. Ran into the same issue with our last Keystone Outback with 50/40/40.
2009 Ford F350 V10 4.10 FX4 Crew Cab SRW, Timbrens, Leer Topper
18 REPLIES 18

ArcticRam
Explorer
Explorer
I can't offer any input about the new trailer you're looking for, but understand completely about your situation here in AK. We bought our new truck and used trailer in Oregon simply because of the price. Ridiculous up here. Good luck with your search.
2018 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 6.0L
2018 Nash 26N

gazingm42
Explorer
Explorer
We have the dutchman 261BHS which has the same layout. My son is tall for the reason we found this model with the double bunks to be very nice.

Kalabin
Explorer
Explorer
TUCQUALA wrote:
"How does your V10 Excursion handle your current trailer? Did you do any modifications to it"?

Thursday will be our 3rd trip with the new trailer, 1st was a short "shake down" of aboot 75 miles, last was Mem Day weekend to visit friends near the OR coast. The trip down the Columbia Gorge was a bit edgy, the DualCam wasn't dialed in totally, and we had a 30+ mph headwind. Did pretty good though, about 8 mpg west and about 8.7 back east. Not a very difficult pull, mostly freeway along the river without any major hills or passes.

This coming trip is into the mountains up to about 5700 ft elevation on 2 lane roads and uphill almost from start!!! Hitch is tuned, and looking forward to seeing how things do.

The EX seems to pull good, you can tell that we are pulling 2500 lbs more, but keeping the rpm up keeps the speed close to where we usually drive. The climb up to the Nat Forest sites will tell how it can keep up with the extra weight.

Vehicle is basically stock, only engine mod is the Y-Pipe modification. No tuner, no other exhaust changes. Has 3.73's like yours, but I am heavily considering 4.30's or even 4.56 to help everything along. I have installed the RAS rear suspension kit, and 2 in extended front shackles.

Let me know if you purchase something "down here", love to haul one up to you!!!

Gerry

Good to know!

I have talked to Apache, SumnerRV and TacomaRV. Trying to figure out shipping options, the one I like is having them send it to Haines and me driving the 700 miles to pick it up. Down side is that would mean I need to apply for my Passport yesterday.

I have been wanting to step up to 285/75/16's. The quote I got to have Yukon Gears installed for 4.56's was around 2800 for both axles. Effective ratio should be right around 4.30, wanted to see how it pulls a 7k trailer first though.

I had pulled a Keystone Outback 21RS with a half-ton with the 5.4, otherwise all my trailer pulling was with a Diesel.

We would also need to buy a Weight Distribution Hitch, used a Equalizer last time and not sure what to go with this time. Everything "specialized" up here runs double.

Talked to a local dealer on the camper we are looking into and they want... 43,000... and are firm.. for the same camper we are getting quotes of 26-28 on.

overdrive75
Explorer
Explorer
North Trail 24BHS is the same as your first one. We one one. Build quality is awesome. 2 inch walls are nice when camping in the cold to.

beermanjoe
Explorer
Explorer
I just got a new Keystone Passport 2810BH East Coast. It`s very light and roomy. Floor plan is very similar to what your looking for. Only 5200lbs.
2018 Ram 2500 4x4 CC 4.10 gears 2020 Shadow Cruiser 329QBS

TUCQUALA
Explorer
Explorer
"How does your V10 Excursion handle your current trailer? Did you do any modifications to it"?

Thursday will be our 3rd trip with the new trailer, 1st was a short "shake down" of aboot 75 miles, last was Mem Day weekend to visit friends near the OR coast. The trip down the Columbia Gorge was a bit edgy, the DualCam wasn't dialed in totally, and we had a 30+ mph headwind. Did pretty good though, about 8 mpg west and about 8.7 back east. Not a very difficult pull, mostly freeway along the river without any major hills or passes.

This coming trip is into the mountains up to about 5700 ft elevation on 2 lane roads and uphill almost from start!!! Hitch is tuned, and looking forward to seeing how things do.

The EX seems to pull good, you can tell that we are pulling 2500 lbs more, but keeping the rpm up keeps the speed close to where we usually drive. The climb up to the Nat Forest sites will tell how it can keep up with the extra weight.

Vehicle is basically stock, only engine mod is the Y-Pipe modification. No tuner, no other exhaust changes. Has 3.73's like yours, but I am heavily considering 4.30's or even 4.56 to help everything along. I have installed the RAS rear suspension kit, and 2 in extended front shackles.

Let me know if you purchase something "down here", love to haul one up to you!!!

Gerry
'16 Outdoors Timber Ridge 280RKS
Reese 1700# Trunnion w/ DualCam HP
'03 EXCURSION XLT V10 4.30 Axles

DocnAK
Explorer
Explorer
Kalabin wrote:
My wife and I are doing some pre-purchase homework for next year. We have found a floor plan we like however finding other manufacturers with a similar floor plan is proving to be difficult.

OutdoorsRV 23DBS

The other floor plan we "love" is the Jayco 28BHBE however there are no dealers near Alaska that want to deal on pricing. This unit alone they want 35k+ shipping, Indiana has it for 22k.

The big reasons we like it is the double wide bunks for our son, large holding tanks, 60x80 queen bed (I am 6'2") and the entertainment center in the middle. Only reason for the entertainment center is for rainy days and we are hoping to do some 2-3 week vacations in the future with it.

We are not opposed to the typical 26BHS models with the couch as well, however up here in Alaska the smaller the TT the easier it is to get into campgrounds.

Money is always a factor, the Creekside campers go for 30k+ by the time they get to Alaska. I looked at the Keystone Passports but their smaller holding tanks are a no-go. Ran into the same issue with our last Keystone Outback with 50/40/40.

Late last fall we bought a 2015 Creekside 23BHS from Sumner RV near Seattle. There price was rock bottom compared to the dealer here in Alaska. I was even able to get them down additional $2000 from their listed price on the internet which was the lowest I had found to date. Trust me I like to buy locally whenever possible but we saved well over $11,000 and that includes the shipping price up from WA. We work hard for our money and $11,000 is huge and hard to pass up. I was very nervous about the whole process but so far things have worked out quite well minus one small hiccup with the hitch. Hope this helps in your quest to find the TT you want. I'd be happy to provide more details if want just PM me.

APT
Explorer
Explorer
I'd get a quote on Jayco from RVDirect. Might be worth it for Alaska. I don't think any RVs are made in Alaska, so transportation costs will need to be considered either directly or indirectly. You won't get midwest prices in Alaska - ever. Somethin built on the west coats like Outdoors RV or Northwoods MFG may be better for you. Would the Snow River 28BBHS work?

Our TT has a similar floorplan to the Jayco 28BHBE,, but not the larger tanks.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

Kalabin
Explorer
Explorer
TUCQUALA wrote:
Being a new Outdoors RV owner (see signature), I would highly recommend the Creekside. O RV's are VERY well built now-days. The Creekside is not a Black Rock, but has a lot of the construction features of the higher end units.

We had a Jayco 24FBS, and never had any complaints with the product. Also, like you commented, size will come into play. We went from 27 ft to 34 ft and are feeling the difference in the forest sites that we frequent. But, do not regret it a bunch due to the floor plan we picked.

You might check out this dealer:

http://www.broadmoorrv.com/new-motorhomes-for-sale-pasco-spokane-washington-dealer--xNewInventory#page=xNewInventory&make=outdoors%20rv&model=creek%20side%2023dbs&d=on&t=new

We got a pretty good price on our Timber Ridge from them, quite a bit below the listed price.

I went and shot them an e-mail, how does your V10 Excursion handle your current trailer? Did you do any modifications to it?

Kalabin
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the responses,

I'll send the list to my wife but it looks like almost all of those manufacturers I am in the same boat of ordering out of the west coast and having one shipped up here. We really only have two dealers up here and they change their stock of trailer manufacturers on a yearly basis. That and since they are the "only game in town" they really do not move on prices.

Again we liked the Keystone Bullets but their small holding tanks have us turning away from looking into them.

So far I have been chatting with TacomaRV, Apache and i'll add BroadmoorRV to the list. Not in a rush to purchase so just doing the homework at this time.

TUCQUALA
Explorer
Explorer
Being a new Outdoors RV owner (see signature), I would highly recommend the Creekside. O RV's are VERY well built now-days. The Creekside is not a Black Rock, but has a lot of the construction features of the higher end units.

We had a Jayco 24FBS, and never had any complaints with the product. Also, like you commented, size will come into play. We went from 27 ft to 34 ft and are feeling the difference in the forest sites that we frequent. But, do not regret it a bunch due to the floor plan we picked.

You might check out this dealer:

http://www.broadmoorrv.com/new-motorhomes-for-sale-pasco-spokane-washington-dealer--xNewInventory#page=xNewInventory&make=outdoors%20rv&model=creek%20side%2023dbs&d=on&t=new

We got a pretty good price on our Timber Ridge from them, quite a bit below the listed price.
'16 Outdoors Timber Ridge 280RKS
Reese 1700# Trunnion w/ DualCam HP
'03 EXCURSION XLT V10 4.30 Axles

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
FR Vibe

We looked at this one in person, and it showed well. It wasn't the typical Forest River build that I was use to seeing in their other product lines, but it actually looked better built than most of the others that we looked at, including several other mfgs that I was expecting to see good things from. I know quality is a subjective term, but whenever we can get our current trailer sold, we will be looking hard at this one.

They build these trailers in Oregon as well. Might be something to think about.

Watch this video on Jayco before you fall in love with them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXMJrRQ3SVk
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe this will help?

Keystone Bullet 274BHSWE

and

Keystone Bullet 272BSHSWE

Dutchmen Kodiak 240BHSL:

Coleman 262BHSWE

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
From what I have heard, you would be hard pressed to beat the quality of an Outdoor RV (PS - I don't own one and never have; and I have no financial interest or other ties of any kind to the company). The thing is, quality costs more. Do your comparison shopping carefully before you put your money down. You can buy a cheaper one.