cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Help Keystone Hideout 28BHS or Jayco Flight 28BHBE

MommieMara
Explorer
Explorer
After 2 RV shows and a ton of dealerships I think we are down to the final 2 contenders. Now I need input based on knowledge and experience of real RVers please. I'll start by saying we are a family of 5, husband, wife and 3 kids and have a 2008 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 5.7 4x4 with tow package. We are making the jump up from a popup camper. Features wise the two campers we are looking at are about on par with each other. I'm hoping for info on quality and anything I'm not thinking of because the dealers are making my head spin. The campers are the

Keystone Hideout 28BHS
dealer is dropping to $17,665 which based on my searches is a great price for this camper fully loaded. Main cons I'm not sure about the quality of Keystone products and the warranty is 1 year.
Dry Weight 6760
Max Weight 9660
Hitch Weight 895

Jayco Flight 28BHBE
$19,995 is as low as I can get them unless I drop the elite package which loses some features I like and some I don't care about. Then they will come down to $18,995. This one has a 2 year warranty and I hear good things about the Jayco as a brand and quality. Is that extra year on the warranty and the reputation for quality enough to make it worth $2350 more?
Dry Weight 6135
Max Weight 8600
Hitch Weight 695

I'd love any input anyone can provide me with on differences between these two campers. I'm so excited to buy our new camper but the research is making my head hurt.
15 REPLIES 15

mrp116
Explorer
Explorer
I answered your question on the TT forum about these two, and I can say that the bunk ratings on our Jayco White Hawk 28 DSBH are 600 lbs according to the manufacturers sticker.

CampingN_C_
Explorer
Explorer
Jayco's not perfect either. My first one was purchased new and showed water damage within six months (leaking on the lot). I didn't want to go through the headache of the repair process so I sold it and lost my rear end. I swore I'd never buy new again. Fast forward eleven years and I love our new Jay Flight.
I do believe they build a better unit than some others but as with all, they're not excluded from sending out a bad one occasionally.
2018 Ram 3500 DRW CCLB Aisin 4.10 4x4

2018 Jayco Talon 413T
B&W Companion

centracom
Explorer
Explorer
I have owned two Jayco travel trailers. Both have been good products. Besides the normal minor problems at delivery I have not had any problems with either tt. I am a true believer in the quality they produce even at the JayFlights price point. Go for the Jayco. You will have a reliable product that will last a long time and if you decide to sell Jaycos hold their value a little better than most other brands.
2012 Ford F150 5.0 "BUILT FORD TOUGH"
2011 Jayco JayFeather 242

""fast cars N' mason jars""

AlbertaNewbie
Explorer
Explorer
Go with the one with bigger tanks.
2014 Dutchmen 261bhs - 7200#'s loaded
2012 Ram 1500 SXT Crew Cab w/5.7L HEMI, 4x4 3.55 Gears
250w Conergy 250P 24v solar with tristar 45amp mppt charge controller

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have been researching new trailers for the past 18 months. I have been to multiple RV shows and looked at every trailer that has the features that meet my needs. Time and again I come back to the Jayco.

The JayFlight has better features than other manufacturers. Even stupid things like LED lighting. I'm afraid of my 2 year old daughter leaving a halogen light on in her bunk and burning herself in the middle of the night. Jayco's come standard with LEDs. I'm afraid of my daughter jumping on her bunk and possibly damaging the bunk. Jayco's bunks are rated at 300 lbs each. There is no way she creates enough force by jumping to damage the Jayco bunks.

The fit and finish on Jayco felt much better too. All the Keystone and Forest River products felt less stable to me. The steps flex when I step on them. The floor doesn't feel as solid. The bed feels less stable. The finish details are sloppy. The AC ducts are poorly placed. The shower walls are cheaper. Cabinets are stapled together.

The Jayco just felt like a better overall product to me.

We looked long and hard at the 28BHBE, but ruled it out due to the shorter queen bed (I'm 6-04). The JayFlight has the benefit of lower tongue weight, which will be a concern with a CrewMax Tundra. If you like the build of Jayco and the floorplan of the 28BHBE you might want to consider the Whitehawk 28DSBH. Same floorplan in the "lightweight" version. http://www.jayco.com/products/travel-trailers/2015-white-hawk/28dsbh/

Like others have said, the $2300 in increased cost isn't just for a 2 year warranty, its for a product that a lot of us feel is higher quality. After walking into a LOT of different trailers, the Jayco always feels more solid and well put together.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Iraqvet05 wrote:
Passin Thru wrote:
Our friends 1 yr old Jayco has be.en in the shop every trip, about 6/yr.

In contrast, my two year old Jayco has never been in the shop.

My Keystone Hornet has been exceptional for 9+ years but anecdotal evidence is very subjective.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

Iraqvet05
Explorer
Explorer
Passin Thru wrote:

In contrast, my two year old Jayco has never been in the shop.
2017 Ford F-250 6.2 gas
2018 Jayco 28BHBE

US Army veteran

fasteddie
Explorer
Explorer
The Hideout's tounge weight will put you over your payload with your family of 5 and everything you will likely pack, you will be pushing with the jayco even. I have the same truck, it's a great truck but the payload is its Achilles heel, The tounge weight of my trailer empty is listed at 685, loaded up its 900 lbs, with my family of 4 we are right up to the max on the payload, my trailer weighs 7400 all loaded up and the Tundra handles it great, but I a know I am at the max and would not want to pull anything heavier, eventually I will upgrade to a 3/4 ton truck. You likely need a lighter trailer or a bigger truck.
2015 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi
2012 Jayco White Hawk 31dslb

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer

mowin
Explorer
Explorer
Both are nice tt's. As mentioned, the wt savings the jayco has may be beneficial. The 1 yr vs the 2 yr warranty wouldn't be a deciding factor for me. My experience has been most issues happen durring the first yr anyway
That said, I have a keystone hornet 38bhds. No issuse at all, except ours came with a lippert power awning that was pure junk. Swaped it out for a manual one.

CampingN_C_
Explorer
Explorer
You're not paying $2350 more for an extra year of warranty, you're paying that for an overall better camper.
Little things like bunk weight capacity for example. We went to the show the other day and saw some with 150# bunk capacity, and I wouldn't attempt to use the ladder.
I'm a big guy and will use not think twice about using the ladder or laying on a bunk in our Jayco.
Not saying the Keystone is like that but a lot are.
2018 Ram 3500 DRW CCLB Aisin 4.10 4x4

2018 Jayco Talon 413T
B&W Companion

Speedogomer
Explorer
Explorer
I'd say the weight savings may be nice for the Jayco, but you may have less issues with sway with the Keystone having a heavier hitch... if it dodoesn't put you over payload.

The extra year warranty I wouldn't worry about... it's nice but for $2500 you could fix an awful lot out of pocket before the warranty was worth it.

Both will serve you well. Get the one appeals most, or when it doubt, what looks better hitched to your truck lol...
2016 Ram 1500 Big Horn, "Katy"
2014 Outback Terrain 260trs "Alice"
2011 French Bulldog Shelter adopted edition, "Roscoe"
1982 DW, "Rachel"
2016 DD "Harper", the newest lil camper.

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
The Keystone will be cheaper, the Jayco will have more warranty. Other then that they are both value priced trailers produced in very similar ways.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

chevyman2
Explorer
Explorer
As most RV techs will say. Stay away from THOR when possible. I will say Keystone is one of the better Thor products, but even Airstream quality is not great anymore after Thor took over. Id buy the Jayco. I definitely can see quality differences between certain brands. Jayco generally shows better than some others
Tim-DW(Kathy)
12 Chevy Sonic DD, 03 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE, 2001 Jayco KIWI
If a "nightmare" is considered a dream-then I am living the dream