cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP! May have bed bugs

campgrandma
Explorer
Explorer
We were in an area where there were lots if little black bugs flying around outside and biting, so this might be the problem!! But both of us woke up the other morning with several bites..mine on my upper arm, hubby's were on his shoulder. Mine itch like crazy, his don't. Our son had an infestation several years ago and told us what to look for...We have seen no actual signs of any and have had no more bites in the last couple of days...just that one day. Anybody had a problem with them and what did you do? We put all our blankets in a hot dryer and are washing all our sheets and clothes right now and are going to dry them on hot. Hopefully, we don't have the problem and can't imagine where we could have picked some up, IF, in fact, we have. Thanks!!
Retired Full-Time Army National Guard

2002 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 diesel
2008 30 ft Keystone Cougar
Prodigy Brake Control
Reese Dual Cam Sway Bars
"Loving every minute of Full-timing"
God is good, all the time......all the time, God is good!

15 REPLIES 15

Alfred622
Explorer
Explorer
We still tell the story of how we had a fresh hatching of tiny baby mosquitoes invade out pop up camper (the buggers crawled right through the screen fabric) and boy they were hungry. That night, a bit after dusk, I stood in the middle of the camper and said "Abandon Camper". We drove 30 miles to a motel and spent the night. The next morning I set off an insect fogger. After sweeping up all the dead mosquitoes and flies, we had no more trouble!

Kids still talk about that story!
Alfred
2005 Sightseer with Workhorse, ReadyBrute Elite towing 2003 Honda CRV
Map below shows states where we actually camped.....

dtappy3353
Explorer
Explorer
Sterifab is a great product. As a pre-emptive strike, should you have BB's.....get 90% alcohol, put it in a spray bottle and spray all bedding including pillows, bedframes, mattresses (especially folded corners), clothing etc including shoes. Wash all clothes in normal water however, the trick is to dry everything on HOT cycle of the dryer. It's the extreme heat which will finish BB's off.

I once managed public housing which had an integrated pest management program that included the above steps every thirty (30) days till no more bites. The alcohol kills the live bugs and any immature bugs.

These little devils are very resilient and can live dormant for years before they reappear.

Best of luck!

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
fla-gypsy wrote:
Sounds like No-see-ums to me or gnats they are called in this part of the world. They are some blood thirsty rascals but bugs in the deep south are just part of our existence along with poisonous snakes and large man eating reptiles. All part of the fun.

Isn't that why all the tourists come down in winter? :W
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like No-see-ums to me or gnats they are called in this part of the world. They are some blood thirsty rascals but bugs in the deep south are just part of our existence along with poisonous snakes and large man eating reptiles. All part of the fun.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

carrnutt
Explorer
Explorer
VegasBT wrote:
Check out this site for some great tips on how to identify if you have a bed bug infestation: http://deafvillage.com/identify-inspecting-for-bed-bugs/

Very good and accurate information on this site.
2014 Cougar 31SQB
1993 Dodge D350 Cummins

campgrandma
Explorer
Explorer
We were called in Chillicothe, Illinois... Near Peoria. It is right near the Illinois River

Prodigy Brake Control
Reese Dual Cam Sway Bars

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Where did you camp? They are probably noseeum. Often in coastal areas, mangroves. I wouldn't always say swampy areas as I have been to different swampy inland areas of Florida with no problems.

campgrandma
Explorer
Explorer
Don't think the black ones that were flying outside are bed bugs...And probably they got inside the house, or under our clothes and that's what bit us!! I hope so!!!

Prodigy Brake Control
Reese Dual Cam Sway Bars

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Gnats
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
Bed bugs do not have wings and can not fly. Most likely gnats.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
Use Sterifab on the mattress etc> It kills most pests. Air out thoroughly.
http://www.sterifab.com/
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

VegasBT
Explorer
Explorer
Check out this site for some great tips on how to identify if you have a bed bug infestation:http://deafvillage.com/identify-inspecting-for-bed-bugs/

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
Bed bugs normally do not bite (feed) on humans one night only. That is virtually unheard of.

They will feed every night.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

My bet is gnats... chiggers.. no-see-ums... all the same just called different names depending where you are.. pesky little buggers.. I would verify they are NOT bedbugs by checking all the bedding... I would assume you will just have to wait till the itching goes away...
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet