cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help please! I'm locked out

wrigley615
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone. I'm leaving in a few days for a 9 day trip and all of a sudden I can't get my key to open my travel trailer. I have probably what most of you all have, it's a FIC door latch with a deadbolt lock and the normal lock. The deadbolt works just fine but the other lock doesn't let the key go all the way in. I was able to break in through the storage area in the bunkhouse and I can't get it to unlock from the inside either. There is nothing stuck in the keyhole from what I can tell and I used the liquid graphite also to lube the keyhole. I've also spoke to a service guy from camping world and another service guy from a local trailer supply place and they had nothing. I've put in a call to FIC but it only goes to voicemail. Next I'll call Forest River but after that I'm stuck with calling a locksmith and that will cost a couple hundred I'll bet. Oh yeah, I also called Geico roadside assistance and they told me if it's the key it's covered but not if it's the mechanism it goes into. Plus being that my RV is at it's storage facility then it's not an emergency so no luck there. Any ideas are appreciated cause I'm out of ideas.
22 REPLIES 22

chr_
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys, my lock wasn't on the list but affected. Sent my info in today. Not being able to open the deadlock from inside is not cool.
-CHR$
1996 Safari Sahara Edition 35' Diesel Pusher. Just getting the Solar stuff started.

ADK_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
amxpress wrote:
The recall is for both key cylinders. I just replaced both of mine today with new ones sent by Fastec.
Fastec RV door lock cylinder recall

amexpress, how long did it take for you to receive your replacement lock? I have been waiting since February. I call about every six weeks and have been told each time that they are behind and that I should expect the replacement "in about 3 weeks." But they have been telling me this since April!

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
Moral of story:- Call the expert (locksmith) when it is clear that you can't do the job yourself. Time is money and it could work out cheaper in the end.

OP - glad to hear that this issue was resolved in time for your trip. Good decision to replace the lock.
Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_

fairfaxjim
Explorer
Explorer
amxpress wrote:
The recall is for both key cylinders. I just replaced both of mine today with new ones sent by Fastec.

Wow, just found out my FIC lock is involved in the recall! Thanks for the info guys. Filling out the on-line form now.
Jim & JoAnne
2016 Toyota Tundra SR5 TRD Double Cab
2004 Starcraft 11RT (Replaced by)
2011 Eclipse Milan 18CK Travel Trailer

nomad297
Explorer
Explorer
hddecker wrote:
It is less than 30sec each to replace the lock cylinders.

Not if a key will not go,into the cylinder.

Bruce
2010 Skyline Nomad 297 Bunk House, 33-1/4 feet long
2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4x4, 6.0 liter long bed with 4.10 rear, 3885# payload
Reese Straight-Line 1200# WD with built-in sway control
DirecTV -- SWM Slimline dish on tripod, DVR and two H25 receivers

amxpress
Explorer
Explorer
2021 Toyota Tundra TRD Off Road double cab
2022 Airstream International 27FB
Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch
M.I.L is self quatanting in Jacksonville Zoo

hddecker
Explorer
Explorer
It is less than 30sec each to replace the lock cylinders. If you call FIC, you can order replacement lock cylinders under five dollars each.

You can also replace the common key for the slam latch to only work with the deadbolt key.

Sillybugs2
Explorer
Explorer
Glad you got it taken care of. Makes me glad we have the side half door if needed.
2016 Hideout 28BHSWE
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT 6.7L diesel 6 speed auto SRW longbed

gdreese
Explorer
Explorer
The recall is for the deadbolt lock only

wilssm
Explorer
Explorer
wrigley615 wrote:
Thanks everyone! I just got done with a locksmith who was excellent. The locks have a little tab that is supposed to close whenever you aren't using it. In my case the keyhole that was broke doesn't close, it kinda sits cockeyed and I have noticed this many times before. Well after enough time like that a bunch of dirt and junk accumulates in there. The locksmith was sure something was stuck in the keyhole and sure enough ended up being just a bunch of dirt and dust. He had to take it apart from the inside and was able to blow out whatever******got stuck in there and now it's back to working. Needless to say I'll be replacing the unit as this will likely happen again in time.

I was also able to research a bit on this recall from FIC. I think it pertains to some locks made prior to 2007 but I'll investigate further and see if mine is part of it. Thanks again for eveyone's help and make sure you check your keyholes 🙂

Same thing happened to mine had to replace the whole lock set
Wilssm

wrigley615
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone! I just got done with a locksmith who was excellent. The locks have a little tab that is supposed to close whenever you aren't using it. In my case the keyhole that was broke doesn't close, it kinda sits cockeyed and I have noticed this many times before. Well after enough time like that a bunch of dirt and junk accumulates in there. The locksmith was sure something was stuck in the keyhole and sure enough ended up being just a bunch of dirt and dust. He had to take it apart from the inside and was able to blow out whatever******got stuck in there and now it's back to working. Needless to say I'll be replacing the unit as this will likely happen again in time.

I was also able to research a bit on this recall from FIC. I think it pertains to some locks made prior to 2007 but I'll investigate further and see if mine is part of it. Thanks again for eveyone's help and make sure you check your keyholes 🙂

mhardin
Explorer
Explorer
I've been thinking of replacing my lock with one of THESE. Does anyone have any experience with them? Is it a straight swap from a FICO, or is other work involved?
2013 Ford F-350, 4x4, Crew Cab, Long Box.
2001 Jayco Eagle 266 FBS.
2014 Heartland Elkridge 37 Ultimate.

budwich
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
There is a recall on certain FIC locksets. The lockset can be removed from the interior.

X2 on both counts.... recall for exactly this problem.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
You might check to see if the trailer is not level. I had this happen to me once and it was leaning to much. Played with the stablizer jacks and got it more level and then the door unlocked just fine...???

After I got it to unlock then I lubed it good and havent much trbl with it since then...

My trailer is a fifth wheel and there is a way to crawl inside going thru the storage bay and up thru the dirty clothes drop hole. Might get a small kid to climb in there and unlock the door from the inside...

If push comes to shove a well placed large screw driver should pry back on the aluminum frame enough to open the door like the thieves do...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS