cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! What truck should I buy?

Catgodfrey
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking for a truck to pull our 3000lb travel trailer. I know it's lightweight but I would like to have wiggle room to upgrade someday. I am torn between two trucks

1) 2012 Tundra double cab 4.6L V8 with tow package. 12,000 miles

2) 2013 GMC Sierra SLE extended cab 5.3L V8 also with tow package. 22,000 miles

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!
15 REPLIES 15

Whiskeyjack44
Explorer
Explorer
A lot of people will strap on their whizzonators and give you a bunch of second and third hand info on the 4.6 Tundra. Here's some first hand experiences--2012 4.6 w/tow. Two years of towing a 3700 lb.(wet) TT over all of the passes, and foothills of Western Washington easily always maintaining the speed limit. Twelve to fourteen mpg towing and disappointed the few times not getting 18 to 22 mpg not towing.

Replaced the 18'TT a few months ago with a 21', 4800 lb. (wet-WSDOT scales) Kodiak TT. The Kodiak weighs more and pushes more wind, so my towing mileage has trailed off to 11 to 13 mpg (hand figured). Still at the speed limit and always keeping up with the big boys. I do lock out 6th, as a small engine like this doesn't have the torque to tow in 6th w/out searching.

Yup, the 4.6 is the engine that no one wants, and that's great, as you can usually bargain a great deal, which negates any trade in worries. Would I try to tow a 25', 6000 lb.+ TT? Nope, that's what the 5.7 and 3/4 tons are for. I've had six TT's and all have been 22' and under. This is a great tow rig for trailers in this range.

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
1oldtruck wrote:
I would go with the Tundra. The rear doors will make access to the back seat much easier. If resale is a factor you will probably be better off with the Tundra.

That is true if he goes with the Crew Max (kinda like a Dodge Mega Cab), but this model only gets you a 5.5 ft bed. They also make a standard 4 door called the Double Cab which comes with a 6.5 ft bed. The OP should drive both a see what he prefers, they're both good trucks.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

1oldtruck
Explorer
Explorer
I would go with the Tundra. The rear doors will make access to the back seat much easier. If resale is a factor you will probably be better off with the Tundra.

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Kalabin wrote:
Since you mentioned you want something to future proof in-case you go larger. I would go with the GMC Sierra with the 5.3. What are the gear ratio difference in the two? They might have a large difference just on the engine / gear ratio's alone for the towing abilities long term.

The 5.7 Tundra comes with a 4.30 and 6 sp trans.
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
donn0128 wrote:
Toyota is far superior on comfort and handling over the GM twins. But choosing the small motor is going to be a big mistake the 5.7 is a wondeful smooth motor but a gas hog. DD has one and loves how smooth and quiet it is.

..and there's only a slight difference in MPG between the two, and probably none when towing. 5.7's the only way to go IMO if you go Tundra.
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

Iraqvet05
Explorer
Explorer
deleted
2017 Ford F-250 6.2 gas
2018 Jayco 28BHBE

US Army veteran

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
What do you use the truck for other than towing?
- If it's a daily driver with significant miles and only a modest number towing, I would probably go with the better fuel economy.
- How long before you think you might upgrade? If you get something in the 7000+ range in 5 yrs, you probably want to upgrade to at least a 3/4 ton, so don't worry about potential future use.
- Also how much flat land vs mountain driving do you expect? If there isn't much climbing, the lower power motor will be less of an issue towing (though still plenty for 3000lb trailer)
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

blt2ski
How many people in your family? while those trucks WILL pull just fine a 3-4K lb trailer, if you are like me, a family of 6, tween the people and HW of a smallish trailer, those trucks could be out of payload! When my kids were teens, we weighed some 1300 lbs tween the 6 of us, putting MANY of the lighter duty light duty trucks at gvw before loading anything else. Make sure the payload weights will work along with the motor part. Nothing is worst than a enough power, but too small a chassis payload rig! Having been there done that. I would rather be a bit underpowered, but correct on the chassis/payload part of the equation.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
between the two I would go with the Tundra....

However, newer 2014's are starting to pop up used.... That is a NICE truck. Handles great and pulls like a train with the 5.3....heck...even the 2014 4.3 drives great!

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

rfryer
Explorer
Explorer
My 16’ TT is 3000# and I used to pull it with a Bronco 302. I do a lot of mountain driving and it ran high rpm’s then, but overall I was satisfied with it. I now have a F150 5.4 and it pulls it better. Regardless of which TV you get, I’d go with the bigger V8, especially if you think you’ll be going bigger on the TT in the future.

Targa
Explorer
Explorer
I just wanted to add to my original post that the 4.6 is a good motor and puts out similiar power to the 5.3, I am just thinking from a resale point of view. Most people want that 5.7 tire burner. Similiar to getting one of the GM twins with a 4.8 vs. the 5.3, the 4.8 would most likely be tougher to sell.

ib516
Explorer II
Explorer II
Both will do the job, I'd check into what rear axle ratio the GMC has. Pick the one you like best.
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Toyota is far superior on comfort and handling over the GM twins. But choosing the small motor is going to be a big mistake the 5.7 is a wondeful smooth motor but a gas hog. DD has one and loves how smooth and quiet it is.

Kalabin
Explorer
Explorer
Since you mentioned you want something to future proof in-case you go larger. I would go with the GMC Sierra with the 5.3. What are the gear ratio difference in the two? They might have a large difference just on the engine / gear ratio's alone for the towing abilities long term.
2009 Ford F350 V10 4.10 FX4 Crew Cab SRW, Timbrens, Leer Topper