cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Help with stabilizing trailer

RooDude09
Explorer
Explorer
I am having a terrible problem with the stabilization of my trailer. The problem is my wife can't stand it!!! She is constantly nagging be about how much it rocks around with the slightest movement. Just walking makes it move. We have a 2015 Rockwood Ultralite 2607. It has a large slide on one side and a short slide on the other and is equipped with Dexter torque flex axles and Lipper electric stabilizers. I go out and tighten them up every day with no luck. Has anyone been able to add anything to these to make them more stable. I can see a lot of the problem is they are mounted to a C channel off the frame so it's not solid to the frame. Will jacks under the slide help? Thanks for any help.
12 REPLIES 12

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like you're having a good time in the trailer. :B
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

uscgcolletti
Explorer
Explorer
I'm having the same issue because we will be full time for a few months during trasnfer season. I bought 4 cinder blocks and placed them under the scissor jacks. Now that the scissor jacks aren't fully extended like they once were the trailer is alot more stable. I am still getting the X- chocks for my B-day.

RooDude09
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds good I will look into some of these suggestions. I was looking at how the rear Jack is mounted and it is mounted to about a foot and a half of C channel that's welded to the lower outside flang of the I beam frame rail. It looks like they have bent in already. Wish they were bolted to the frame directly

westend
Explorer
Explorer
As others have said, get some sort of bracing under the frame close to the wheels.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

tll
Explorer
Explorer
I have the same Lippert electric stabilizer jacks on my Starcraft. What a disappointment compared to the manual scissor jacks on my old trailer. What I found is that the self leveling feature of the Lippert system allows the trailer to tilt side to side as people move around. The jacks support the trailer, but the trailer moves side to side on the jack carriage. I installed a set of Bal Lock Arms to try to brace the jacks across the rear of the trailer, but it didn't help much. I had better success adding a set of scissor jacks just forward of the trailers wheels. As they would stick out when cranked up I made them removable when towing. I just slide them into the bracket and crank them down when setting up. Very easy. I used these to accomplish this. Save a Jack
2015 Starcraft 299BHU
2011 Jayco X23J(sold)
2009 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCrew

GaryWT
Explorer
Explorer
There are various methods but you will always have some movement as it is the nature of the beast. Sometimes extra jack stands under the frame will help.
ME '63, DW 64, (DS 89 tents on his own, DD 92 not so much), DS 95
2013 Premier Bullet 31 BHPR 2014 F350 Crew Cab 6.2L 3.73

Mark_and_Linda
Explorer
Explorer
Are you using any jack pads below you stabilizer's? Just wondering....
Mark

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Chalk is what you used to write on the sidewalks with. CHOCKS are what you put by your tires to limit movement.

OP, You have your stab jacks down and X-Chocks and are still getting movement? Are you sure your X-Chocks are tight enough? Go outside and watch your wheels and have your wife try to shake the trailer. If you still see the wheels rocking back and forth, your X-Chocks aren't tight enough.

If your stabs are tight and your X-Chocks are tight, you are pretty close to being out of options. The JT Strongarms are one option. The only other thing I can think is to add another set of stab jacks in between or directly in front of the wheels to take some of the trailer suspension out of the equation.

Jacks under the slide are not a good idea. If something should happen, like a flat tire, causing the main body of the trailer to settle and your slide isn't allowed to settle with the trailer, you will have some SERIOUS problems.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

rekoj71
Explorer
Explorer
I don't feel that the stabilizers with the single arm that comes down is as strong as the ones that are more of a scissor jack. When trailers came with the old screw jack stand style ones we used to lower the front an inch or two then set the back and then raise the front to level and then set the front ones. That took some weight off of the tires and hence a more stable platform, but with the newer built on jacks they can't handle the weight as well and will usually bend the short arm if too much weight is applied. Depending on the scissor jack it might handle more weight.
You might already be, but be sure to use your X-chalks on both sides to get the most help from them. That is about the only thing (other than the tongue jack) that gives real front to back stabilization.

RooDude09
Explorer
Explorer
Ok sorry forgot to add I'm using the X chalks. I'll look at the other thougj

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
RotoChoks are excellent and do help with this issue....trouble is they are no longer available. Ma and Pa business. Sadly both John and Pearl passed away.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
First off... Do not put any kind of jacks under the slide out. The risk of damaging the slide out are too great. Lots of previous posts on these forums about this subject.

There two possible solutions, and seems to be the best 2 answers to trailer shake: JT Strong Arm Stabilizers Click here! And X Chocks: Click here. One more similar to the X Chocks are Roto Chocks: You Tube Video, click here.

Hope this helps.