cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hensley or....

eipo
Explorer
Explorer
With the purchase of our 35' (OAL) trailer, I am curious if a non top of the line hitch will prove satisfactory? It isn't abnormally tongue heavy for the truck, but will certainly benefit from sway elimination.

What are the top contenders below Hensley or ProPride?
71 REPLIES 71

chracatoa
Explorer
Explorer
I always had great customer service from Sean.
2011 Toyota Sequoia Platinum 4WD 5.7L V8 (next one will be a 3/4, someday)
2012 Jayco Flight Swift 267BHS (5963lbs dry, 6850 wet)
Propride hitch (I had a Reese dual cam round bar WDH for 4 months)

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
RinconVTR wrote:
The only thing the Propride has going for it is the adjustable stinger.

I won't get into Sean's character I have never dealt with him.
However on the stinger. I prefer the HA non adjustable stinger. Simply because it's not as heavy. Maybe if you needed to adjust the stinger regularly, I could see it as an advantage.
However once the stinger is set you never have to mess with it again.
The smaller non adjustable fixed HA stinger was heavy/cumbersome enough. I would not want anything larger/heavier.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

RinconVTR
Explorer
Explorer
Both Propride and Hensley have their pros and cons, but the Propride yoke requires a lot more time and customization to install around LP tank bases, and you need a massive torque wrench. I also do not prefer the WDH bar links on the jacks, nor the side nut on the jacks compared to Henleys top mount nut adjustment. The only thing the Propride has going for it is the adjustable stinger.

Both companies offer really good support, I do not feel there is a difference there.

I was almost swayed to Propride after owning a Hensley with manufacturing issues. The change in preference is back to Hensley after finding out what Sean at Propride is all about. His quirky attitude, slippery tactics, and wise cracking doesn't mix with me. I can give and take a lot, but this guy is just no good.

Look, don't take my word for it. Search other forums and read Propride Sean's posts yourself. You'll get a better feel who you're really spending big dollars with, and it wont be a good feeling. Spend your money elsewhere. Hensley.

eipo
Explorer
Explorer
93Cobra2771 wrote:
I love the screw jacks vs chains/snap ups. Infinite weight adjustments and so darn easy. Of course, there are some setups the screw jacks don't work on.

If I was towing at or near the limits of my truck I can see where being able to infinitely adjust how much weight is being transferred would be a benefit.

My trucks handles hitch weight very well so just being able to transfer some weight will be fine. I am more interested in sway control.

93Cobra2771
Explorer
Explorer
I love the screw jacks vs chains/snap ups. Infinite weight adjustments and so darn easy. Of course, there are some setups the screw jacks don't work on.
Richard White
2011 F150 Ecoboost SCREW 145" 4x4
Firestone Ride-Rite Air Springs/Air Lift Wireless Controller
2006 Sportsmen by KZ 2604P (30')
Hensley Arrow

eipo
Explorer
Explorer
I ended up taking advantage of the $200 price break on the Hensley and opted for the chain hook ups over the jacks. I like the idea that everything basically stays connected and attached to the trailer tongue.

Terry at Hensley was able to get (hopefully) everything figured on weight bars and the drop stinger based on information he had in his system. He figured a 6" drop would work the best and based on the load carrying characteristics of the truck and the tongue weight of the trailer that the 1000 pound bars should suit me well. But did then offer if the stinger or bars do not work out they will exchange them at no cost to me, including shipping both ways.

He even threw in 2 of the screw tire chocks, cover for the hitch, chain and electrical extensions and 2 repair kits. Everything except the actual hitch is brand new and the hitch itself is the one that Terry has used for display purposes in things like their youtube videos. Never seen actual use.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
I have a Blue Ox Swaypro with 1500 lbs bars and have been very happy with it. It's simple, quiet, clean, and performs as it should. Could the Hensley do a better job? I don't know. The Swaypro works so well I'm not sure what the Hensley could do better in my setup. It's no doubt a better design, but not worth the extra money to me. I paid a quarter of the cost of a Hensley.

TexasATM
Explorer
Explorer
I originally was running a Reese Dual Cam on my 35' Jayco and didn't have any problems with it, other than a bent snap up bracket. Reese sent me two heavy duty brackets free of charge and they worked much better.

A few years ago, I found a killer deal on a ProPrice on Craigslist and put it on my trailer. I can say that I have noticed zero difference in how the trailer pulls behind my truck, other than the fact that the PP is much quieter; like a previous poster said, it doesn't creak and pop like the dual cam did. I'm still glad I have the PP because it is a superior hitch, but I'm also glad that I didn't spend $2,000 on it because I would have been greatly disappointed.

FYI, I'm towing with an F250. My trailer weighs around 9,300lbs loaded and had a tongue weight of 1,280lb BEFORE I installed the PP. I haven't weighed it since, but I'm guessing that it's every bit of the 1,400lbs that the hitch is rated for. I've been rocking it for 2 years now with no issues other than it being a real PITA to hitch up in off camber situations. I have a chain setup for the WD bars because I have a toolbox on my tongue. This means that the hitch head can move a lot more freely when disconnected (when trying to hitch up) which can be troublesome when you aren't on level ground.
2011 Jayco 32BHDS

93Cobra2771
Explorer
Explorer
I went through various stages:
Standard friction sway bar
Dual Cam
HA

The dual cam was head and shoulders better than the standard friction sway bar.
The HA was that much better again. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't experienced it myself. Where the DC didn't allow sway, when semi trucks passed you could still feel the tail move from the pressure wave of the passing truck (actually, flat faced trucks/buses were the worst).

The HA ties the TV/TT together so tightly that the pressure wave pushes against them as a unit. In other words, if it's a strong enough pressure wave, the whole vehicle is going to rock. It's a totally different feeling. Plus, there is zero noise. None of the popping and cracking from the DCs as they jump in and out of the saddles and such.

With all that being said, I'd still be in a DC if I hadn't come across a killer deal on a HA on craigslist. If you watch CL, you will eventually find a HA or PP at a good price. Anything below 800 is a good price, IMO. I've actually bought two, one for 450, and one for 200 (not a typo).

The DC is a very good unit. The disadvantage for the DC is if you change how you load, the DC sometimes has to be adjusted. The HA/PP doesn't. Of course, the HA/PP can be a big more challenging to hook up in certain situations. I have yet to run into one where I couldn't hook up, though.
Richard White
2011 F150 Ecoboost SCREW 145" 4x4
Firestone Ride-Rite Air Springs/Air Lift Wireless Controller
2006 Sportsmen by KZ 2604P (30')
Hensley Arrow

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Im running a Reese Dual Cam on my 35ft TT. been using it since 05. it performs great and I haven't ever had a single issue. I would say the DC is above the EQ because of how it resists sway compared to the EQ. I have never thought for a minute that I needed anything more.

Go with the DC!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

eipo
Explorer
Explorer
We havent taken delivery of the trailer yet. We opted to swap out the jacknife sofa for an actual sofa that pulls out into a bed. Its name escapes me right now. That may take a couple weeks.

The dry tongue weight of the trailer is 680 or so pounds. UVW is just over 7000 and GVW is right around 8600. So I know I'm not taxing the truck with weight, its the sway I want to control. I'm pretty good at weight distribution and I have a "weigh safe" insert I can use to measure tongue weight based on various loading configurations.

Im still leaning towards the Hensley mainly because I can pick it up local. I'm only about 1 hour from their office. I did call them today to inquire on price and availability and was offered $200 off a display they have been using in their office. They do now also have a model that uses chains rather than the jacks to adjust spring bar tension. Terry told me its because of the "V" nose trailers that are starting to hit the market.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2hfkn75RAU&index=1&list=UUaey1HrTtfzxxXFoM-b

icanon
Explorer
Explorer
See my signature. Prior buying my PP I contacted Sean of PP and asked for advise for my setup and advised me to go for the 1400lb. Never regretted my purchase and customer service is #1.
Loving wife and 2 beautiful daughters.
Chocolate Lab, Lily
2014 Dodge Ram Laramie Hemi 5.7 with 3.92
2014 Dutchmen Kodiak 290BHSL
ProPride 3P Hitch
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30C
Love my Weber Q1200
Me a Happy man on retirement!!!

CampingN_C_
Explorer
Explorer
I'm pulling 35ft with a CCLB Ram and a Reese Dual Cam. Truly pulls great. I fought some handling issues with my last truck that was a short bed but looking back I don't think it was hitch related as much as it was a tire issue.
Have you pulled it and are having problems or just assuming you will after the purchase?
2018 Ram 3500 DRW CCLB Aisin 4.10 4x4

2018 Jayco Talon 413T
B&W Companion

Need-A-Vacation
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats on the new rig!!!

If not the HA or PP, I would suggest the Reese Dual Cam or Reese SC as mentioned. 1500lb or 1700 bars available. The 1700lb bars may be for the DC only, can't recall for sure.

The biggest obstacle with the HA or PP is the max 1400lb tw. So depending on your new trailers dry tw, the floor plan, and how you load, you may be fine, or may be limited by the max tw rating of the hitches. The Equal-I-Zer is also limited to 1400lbs tw. Also a good choice pending the tw if the HA or PP are eliminated.

Good luck deciding!!!
Bubba J- '13 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT CCSB 4x4 6.0

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS Mods Reese DC HP

WDH Set Up. How a WDH Works. CAT Scale How To.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
While the friction base hitches maybe satisfactory. They simply do not compare to the performance of the HA or PP.
The premium hitches are in another league.
Satisfactory or adequate are terms used to describe the friction based hitches vs. superior and ultimate for the premium hitches.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637