cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HEY GENERATOR............SHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

23hitman
Explorer
Explorer
We bought a portable Briggs & Straton 5000 watt generator. Affordable and highly ranked for durability. Downside? Everyone on the park can hear it.

Anyone run into this?
Anyone know of an added muffler mod/add on/Harbor Freight device?

Thanks
27 REPLIES 27

Mr_Beebo
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:

I see their 2000 w one is 53 dba at 23 ft, and the 3100 is 58 dbs.
my yamaha brochure shows the 2000 at 51.5-61 dbs and 3000 one at 53-60. so they should be acceptable, assuming those numbers are correct. but what is that silencing tent? just fabric?
bumpy

I have a pair of the Champion 2000s and a Honda 3000EU. The champions are very subdued and not even noticable to me after the initial startup. The Honda on eco mode may even be a bit quieter. The Champions were $1050 for the pair with the parallel kit; the Honda lists about 2k new.
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS
2009 Silverado 2500 6.0

wrenchbender
Explorer
Explorer
Before you at least a million have tried to quiet those down, including yours truly. Go get a Honda, best advice I can offer. My friends at JPL spent many hours and cases of beer and hardly made a dent in the noise envelope.

path1
Explorer
Explorer
23hitman wrote:
Thanks for the google word search (much more useful than other's reply's)(so much for all RV'ers being helpful, right 2Oldman?):o

Here is a link to one of the tents
Super Gen Tent Enclosure

Thanks to everyone else!

Please don't take this a an attack or rant. IMO Isn't it better to more info than less? I'd rather have info overload than not enough. Maybe just me. Sometimes I do a search and can't find what I'm looking for maybe the search words I'm using. I enjoy others input on threads or searches or whatever they post. I look at it as more input to me the better my results are going to be. Always thankful for more info from anybody. Doesn't mean that I agree with the info posted, just more info that I have to help with my problem. Again Not attacking you. But sometimes older threads have better info than current threads and are more useful or might have different point of view. IMO
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

23hitman
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a link to one of the tents
Super Gen Tent Enclosure

Thanks to everyone else!

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
interesting stuff if you google Azdel SuperLite®
thanks
bumpy

Vapor_Trails
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:

If you must take it with you, I've been told that a raw potato shoved into the exhaust pipe will quiet it down substantially.
Eddie Murphy told me a banana in the tailpipe works even better...
2018 Ram 2500 CCSB, 4x4, 6.7, 3.42
2019 Grand Designs Momentum 25G
2020 RZR Pro XP Ultimate
A day without fusion is like a day without sunshine.

23hitman
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone have a link or picture of a silencing tent?

Rolling_Condo
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
Rolling Condo wrote:
Check out the Supergen website. They feature Champion generators and they have custom sound enclosures for them.

my yamaha brochure shows the 2000 at 51.5-61 dbs and 3000 one at 53-60. so they should be acceptable, assuming those numbers are correct. but what is that silencing tent? just fabric?
bumpy

Supergen Tent description.
'90 GMC R2500 7.4L w/ Gear Vendor OD
'90 Avion 34V
Cummins Onan P4300ie
Pro Pride 3P
Prodigy

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Rolling Condo wrote:
Check out the Supergen website. They feature Champion generators and they have custom sound enclosures for them.

bumpy

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Get an extremely long extension cord and then leave the generator at home and run the cord to the campsite. :B

If you must take it with you, I've been told that a raw potato shoved into the exhaust pipe will quiet it down substantially.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

the_happiestcam
Explorer
Explorer
Last trip I was on someone had a very noisy genny they would crank up every afternoon for a couple of hours. They were more than 500 yards away, and they tried to create some kind of baffle with plywood boards. It was louder in my site than when the guy 75 feet away ran his Honda. I made sure they could hear my applause and cheer when they cut it off everyday.
Me ('62), DW ('61), DS ('97), DS ('99), DD ('03)
2003 Yukon XL 2500 8.1L 4.10 axle
2010 Dutchmen 28G-GS

CG's we've been to

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
We started out with a Coleman Powermate 2500, basically a B&S motor on top of alternator and boy was it loud. I wondered why we picked up almost new for $50 until I started it up.
Sold that off and got a Champion 3500/4000, new they run $300 or so and fine while boondocking by ourselves. Used it one season for charging and some AC. While it is quieter than the Powermate, it isn't quiet by any means.

This year I started using the solar I put a few hundred into and when you say quiet, it is silent. The Champ is still there for a bit of AC, Microwave and as a back up to the solar but is rarely run if at all.

I have used those interlocking rubber floor mats to surround the generators and while it didn't make them "quiet", it did make a small noticeable difference.

If I were to replace the Champ with a quieter unit, it will be the Champion 3100i inverter model. The same size and noise level as the Honda Handi but half the price. They have had great reviews here and if I see one of those on the refurb list I may just have to pull the trigger.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Rolling Condo wrote:

Nice site Champion has come a long way. They maybe a legit mainstream product now. However I'm not too thrilled about all the refurbished units.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

Tvov
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do you really need a generator? When we first bought our TT (10 years ago now! Wow, time flies) I was looking into a generator until a camping friend suggested that I wait until after I had gone camping a few times. Turns out that I have never "needed" a generator, and only rarely have I actually wanted one.

Most of our camping when we started was in full service campgrounds with electric hookups. Now that our kids are grown up, I look mostly for state parks and other dry camping - we really don't need electric hookup most of the time, and much less expensive per night.