cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hitch Extenders

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
I know this has been discussed more than once but search wasn't turning up results.

We have a Ram 3500 with a 2-1/2 inch receiver. Our TC extends approximately 36" past the trucks receiver box. We will be flat towing a Jeep Wrangler that should weight 4500 pounds or so.

I know many folks use a Torklift Supertruss. I was hoping to use the factory receiver with something like this and cut to length.

https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Adapters/Reese/RP45018.html

I would add diagonal chain back to the truck frame similar to what the super truss has. Suggestions?

I am also looking for advice on the towing apparatus. So far Blue Ox seems to be common and well liked. I am also considering their patriot brake. Open to suggestions. Thanks!

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Ox-BRK2016-Brake-System/dp/B01LYA4FEV/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1541281724&...
2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.
94 REPLIES 94

SoonDockin
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bedlam wrote:

I'm surprised your trailer is that light when filled. Does it use an aluminum frame? My 20' trailer was 3500 lbs before I even start loading it and typically travels between 6000-8000 lbs based on what we bring along.

It's 3400 unloaded. I use it to haul my 1700lb RZR and a few bicycles. With the weight distribution hitch (required by my extension) it's pretty much 5500lbs. I wanted an aluminum one but would have had to order. I wanted it sooner so just went with a local offering.
2022 Ram Laramie 5500 60" CA New pic soon
2018 Arctic Fox 1140 Dry Bath
Sold 2019 Ford F450 King Ranch (was a very nice truck)

Bedlam
SoonDockin wrote:
Torklift Cannon 42" towing 5500lbs of 20ft cargo trailer. Super stable.

I'm surprised your trailer is that light when filled. Does it use an aluminum frame? My 20' trailer was 3500 lbs before I even start loading it and typically travels between 6000-8000 lbs based on what we bring along.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

SoonDockin
Explorer II
Explorer II
Torklift Cannon 42" towing 5500lbs of 20ft cargo trailer. Super stable.
2022 Ram Laramie 5500 60" CA New pic soon
2018 Arctic Fox 1140 Dry Bath
Sold 2019 Ford F450 King Ranch (was a very nice truck)

Bedlam
Kayteg1 wrote:
Bedlam wrote:

Some of the disadvantages with a long overhang:
- Rear may swing into another lane when making sharp turns
- Overhang may drag on uneven surfaces
- Trailer has more leverage on the tow vehicle
- More likely to unload front axle weight without weight distribution systems

You forgot
-rear wheels spinning in the air when crossing a ditch.

That is what happens in any vehicle where the driver does not know his departure angle.

specta
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:

You forgot

jimh425 wrote:

And ... of course, because that doesn’t actually occur.

What are the odds of that ever happening?

One in a trillion??
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Kayteg1 wrote:
You forgot

I think he missed that one because he has 4 wheel drive like 99% of the rest of us.

And ... of course, because that doesn’t actually occur.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
loveTheBeach wrote:
This product seems extremely dangerous to me. I have towed travel trailers for over 30 years and have learned that keeping the ball as close to the tow vehicle is very important for stability. The physics of all this is: the further you put the load behind the rear axle, the more unstable the tow vehicle becomes. 41 or 48" seems awful far to me. The trailer has all that leverage on the tow vehicle. Moving the center of gravity back too far in the tow vehicle is how you lose control and roll them over.

You’re not factoring in the physics of having 4-5000 lbs of TC weight in the bed of the truck. That’s what keeps what’s being towed with the extended hitch from pushing the truck around too much. Without the TC, you’re correct, the setup would be unstable.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 ‘Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam types………..Let’s Go Brandon!!!

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bedlam wrote:

You forgot

KKELLER14K
Explorer II
Explorer II

This is mine..I have 2....a 48 and a 41. Different tongue lengths on different trailers....

Bedlam
A properly set up extension is not any different than having a vehicle with a long rear overhang and towing with it. Is it better to tow with the trailer closer or on top of axle? Yes, but it is not always practical for your chosen application.

Some advantages of towing with a long overhang:
- Tighter turning radius due to shorter tow vehicle wheelbase
- Tighter turning radius due to shorter trailer ball to axle length
- Better tracking through through corners with more rear end swing
- Less steering input required when backing

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
loveTheBeach wrote:
This product seems extremely dangerous to me. I have towed travel trailers for over 30 years and have learned that keeping the ball as close to the tow vehicle is very important for stability.

Holy thread resurrection, Batman. 😄 Kind of late to the party on this thread. In any case, you don’t say what product you think it dangerous. All hitch extenders, just one, what?

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
specta wrote:

I tow maybe 1400 lbs behind my camper and I don't even know its there.

I observe very often light toads behind DP.
When driver might not feel small toad behind, the poor things very often are in constant fishtailing.
So the driver might only notice something wrong at premature tires change.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
loveTheBeach wrote:
This product seems extremely dangerous to me. I have towed travel trailers for over 30 years and have learned that keeping the ball as close to the tow vehicle is very important for stability. The physics of all this is: the further you put the load behind the rear axle, the more unstable the tow vehicle becomes. 41 or 48" seems awful far to me. The trailer has all that leverage on the tow vehicle. Moving the center of gravity back too far in the tow vehicle is how you lose control and roll them over.

Yes, we all know and understand the physics, but we are not towing travel trailers here in general. The extension is a necessary evil for towing behind a long slide-in truck camper, which can overhang the rear of the truck by as much as 48".

This is a commercial product and apparently it is not as inherently dangerous as you claim because if it were, Reese would not offer it, as surely someone would have brought a significant claim against them over it. One million dollar settlement, and the product would be gone because they don't sell very many of them.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

specta
Explorer
Explorer
loveTheBeach wrote:

This my extension.

I think there are a lot of things to take into consideration.
Lots of people with the proper setup have been towing trailers like this for years without ever experiencing a problem.

Not being able to tow a trailer behind your camper defeats some of the reasons for choosing a truck camper over a travel trailer.

I tow maybe 1400 lbs behind my camper and I don't even know its there.
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.