cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Looking to sell - any advice?

Glowrdr
Explorer
Explorer
The wife and I purchased a new 2019 RV last year, and are having second thoughts on our future plans. We bought a used 2010 Kodiak, loved it so much we wanted something a little "nicer". Well, now she wants something more along the lines of a cabin.

Being a 2019 - what kind of loss can we expect? Are we better off trying to sell it 3rd party (has an extended warranty), or should we look at just selling it back to the dealer and paying off whatever losses we'd have out of pocket?

Is this a "hang onto it for 3-5 years" and we might not be quite so upside down? Or is there an odd "its still new" time that we can sell it and only lose a couple grand? FYI, we've got 32k invested into it after warranty, TTL, out the door pricing.
19 REPLIES 19

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Glowrdr wrote:
Sounds to me like I will just have to let her know we will be keeping the camper. Sometimes you just have to put your foot down and quit being so wishy washy, or looking at the grass on the other side of the fence.

I was thinking if we could "get out" for a few grand, it might be worth it. But I'm not taking a 10k hit on something we will have paid off in a few years anyways. I do like traveling, and feel that we would regret getting rid of it if we did. Thanks for the up front advice everyone. Camp on!

Friends of mine bought a TT 5yrs ago, they have done quite a few trips, two yrs ago they bought some land out in a very rural area that they were interested in setting up a "camp" to eventually build on. No deed restrictions on the property so they could park AND USE their TT on the property whenever they wanted. Property came with septic and electric already there.

Now they have the best of both worlds, they can still travel if they like or sit back and relax on their own camp property..

YES, there STILL ARE PLACES you can still do this and not break any laws! You just have to get away from big cities and even the more restrictive states.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
zcookiemonstar wrote:
Well there is always the option of renting it out and get some money out of it.

Horrible idea.

Standard insurance would be null and void if you end up needing to put a claim in and the reason was due to being a rental unit.

One would have to find an insurance Co which is willing to write a policy which WILL cover the unit as a rental.. That will result in a huge insurance bill taking a considerable bite out your "gains".

Then you have to take into consideration that you WILL have to spend a considerable amount of time for each renter to go over all of the features/functions along with do's and don'ts.

Then there is the matter of WD and WD setup for each different potential Tow Vehicle..

Then there is the potential issue of inexperienced first time to towing renters.. Your unit may come back OK, smashed or even never come back and potentially killed the renter and or other motorists due to lack of towing experience..

Then there is the cleaning and fixing each time the unit comes back and hoping they at least dumped and washed out the black tank before they brought it back..

One or two "rentals" and your new unit will look like it is 20 yrs old..

No renter will ever treat your stuff as well as you do and that is a fact.

All of those glorious hassles plus more, for what, to cover $200-$400 a month payment to the bank?

If you are wanting to do rentals, buy old derelict RVs, don't do that with a new RV..

OP would be better off taking the huge loss upfront by selling it and be done with it before ever considering renting it out. Otherwise it will be like a very painful bandage being ripped off every time you have to clean and fix it after each rental.

jseyfert3
Explorer
Explorer
First off, don't try and sell it now. If you want to sell, sell it in the spring when everybody wants to buy a camper. Right now the only people looking to buy campers are people not in a hurry and looking to get a good deal because someone needs to sell a camper now.

Secondly, always private sale for max dollar, no matter what you're selling (car/camper/boat). It's more work though.

Third, you'll likely take a big hit. We bought our 2015 in June of 2018. I'm not certain if they bought it $24k or the MSRP was $24k, but we paid $13k for it. If they paid $24k for it, then it lost half its value in 3 years. And they had stored it inside, used it only a handful of weekends, and everything was in perfect condition. RVs just do not hold value.
Formerly a 2015 Rockwood Mini Lite 2306, burned in a barn fire. Looking at replacements.

goreds2
Explorer
Explorer
Do not buy anything on wheels expecting to get anywhere close to what you paid for it unless it is a classic car etc. Best wishes to the original poster.
See Picture In My Profile
I have a 1989 Dodge XPLORER RV Class B - Purchased 10/15/10 IN CASH
Fiance' purchased a Class C 2002 Dynamax Carri-go on 5/1/15 IN CASH
We've got the best of both worlds

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know but the depreciation will be brutal on a recently purchased RV of any sort. I don't think you can avoid it but a dealer will try to make it look less by offering an inflated trade-in on a unit that he would discount a lot if you didn't have a trade. I think you will always get more by selling privately even by selling it for less than you think it's worth. IF you have the patience.
Jayco-noslide

Glowrdr
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds to me like I will just have to let her know we will be keeping the camper. Sometimes you just have to put your foot down and quit being so wishy washy, or looking at the grass on the other side of the fence.

I was thinking if we could "get out" for a few grand, it might be worth it. But I'm not taking a 10k hit on something we will have paid off in a few years anyways. I do like traveling, and feel that we would regret getting rid of it if we did. Thanks for the up front advice everyone. Camp on!

MKirkland
Explorer
Explorer
We lived in a large house and also later bought a cabin. When we became empty nesters we decided to move permanently to the cabin and sold the large house. In the meantime we never forgot camping. It doesn't have to be either or. The minute you buy a cabin, guaranteed you will miss camping.

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Take lots of pictures and put it on Craigslist for slightly above what you owe on it or what your research indicates it's worth - get your payoff from your creditor, and wait. Don't be in a hurry to sell it. If someone offers you less, simply state that you have multiple people lined up to look at it, and will let them know - but if you give me X amount, I'll sell to you now.

My friend recently sold his 2019 unit this way. Good luck.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

delwhjr
Explorer
Explorer
There is also the option of a consignment sale. Just read the terms closely
2022 Rockwood 2109S
2006 Durango HEMI

zcookiemonstar
Explorer
Explorer
Well there is always the option of renting it out and get some money out of it.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
azdryheat wrote:
Dealer will give you half of what you think it's worth.

Ditto. And I'd be really surprised if a dealer would even "buy it from you" without you buying something from them and using the pre-owned unit as a trade.

Try RVtrader and Cragislist.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
x3. You are going to take a beating with new units going for as much as 30% off MSRP. If you financed it is going to take a chunk of cash to get out of it.
Interestingly, i can't use an rv as a residence for more than two weeks. I can live in it temporarily as long as I have a building permit for a permanent structure which has to be completed within a limited period of time, the rv then has to be moved off.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ready for the same view everyday? Ready to be unable to move south in winter? North in the summer? Ready to do yard work around the cabin?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

BC4277
Explorer
Explorer
To expand on "Jebby14"s idea, buy the land and keep the TT on site while you build the cabin.
2017 Freedom Express 192RBS
Fastway E2 Trunion Hitch
2003 Tundra 4.7

Where ever I am,
is where I'm supposed to be