cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

hitch or spray liner first?

xaugievike
Explorer
Explorer
in a perfect world, is it better to have a 5'er hitch installed before or after a spray-in liner?

If it matters - it would be for a BW companion hitch.
2015 Chevy Silverado 3500hd DRW.
Pulling Keystone Cougar 325SRX

A buddy and I started a blog - you can read it here:
http://twoguyscamping.blogspot.com
17 REPLIES 17

vic46
Explorer
Explorer
Just make sure you are having FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[COLOR=]Never argue with an idiot. You will be dragged down to their level and then beaten with experience.

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
vic46 wrote:
TucsonJim wrote:
Just a word of caution. I had my liner put in, then installed the hitch myself. Since it was hot in the garage, I made the mistake of working in shorts and sandals. When I drilled one of the holes for the hitch, the flaming hot metal and liner material decided to spin off the drill and land between the bottom of my foot and the top of my sandal. Holy $&!T!!! I stood up real fast and hit my head on the rail for the garage door opener. Holy $&!T!!!

I think the combination of metal, liner material and friction got that little piece of debris up to about 3 jillion degrees. So I jumped out of the truck and put my foot in a five gallon bucket of cold water. Ahhhh, that's better. Just then the DW walked into the garage to see me with my foot in a bucket of water and my scalp bleeding. She just shook her head and walked back inside.

All in all, it was a great learning experience installing my own hitch.

Real sorry, couldn't help myself. LMAO at the virtual video of your spouse shaking her head and walking away. I have encountered those ahHa moments that at the time are not real funny by hindsight makes them hilarious. I trust your melon has healed. Thanks for the laugh.
Vic

Yep, all healed up! Then I went on to my next adventure of installing a 50 gallon replacement fuel tank. It resulted in this:

But it finally healed up too.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

vic46
Explorer
Explorer
TucsonJim wrote:
Just a word of caution. I had my liner put in, then installed the hitch myself. Since it was hot in the garage, I made the mistake of working in shorts and sandals. When I drilled one of the holes for the hitch, the flaming hot metal and liner material decided to spin off the drill and land between the bottom of my foot and the top of my sandal. Holy $&!T!!! I stood up real fast and hit my head on the rail for the garage door opener. Holy $&!T!!!

I think the combination of metal, liner material and friction got that little piece of debris up to about 3 jillion degrees. So I jumped out of the truck and put my foot in a five gallon bucket of cold water. Ahhhh, that's better. Just then the DW walked into the garage to see me with my foot in a bucket of water and my scalp bleeding. She just shook her head and walked back inside.

Real sorry, couldn't help myself. LMAO at the virtual video of your spouse shaking her head and walking away. I have encountered those ahHa moments that at the time are not real funny by hindsight makes them hilarious. I trust your melon has healed. Thanks for the laugh.
Vic
[COLOR=]Never argue with an idiot. You will be dragged down to their level and then beaten with experience.

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
TucsonJim wrote:

I still have a scar on my arm from the hot metal dripping off my step bit when I installed my rails. I was underneath the truck....ouch.
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

Nik
Explorer
Explorer
TucsonJim wrote:

Jim, are you sure you were not found as a baby with the other half of this amulet?

I relived many garage-jobs-gone-bad with your story. Still laughing!
Current RV: 2003 Fleetwood Terra 26Y
Previous RV: 2015 Wildwood X-Lite FS T192BH
Previous RV: 1985 Itasca Sundancer (24')
Previous RV: 1984 Starcraft Starmaster 21

Greene728
Explorer
Explorer
TucsonJim wrote:

Lol!!! That made my day! Glad it's not just me. Thanks for posting!!!
2011 Crossroads Cruiser 29BHS ( Traded )
2017 Grand Design 303RLS ( Sold )
Currently camperless ( Just taking a break )
2016 Chevy Silverado 2500 4x4 6.0 and 4:10โ€™s
Me and the wife and our two daughters. Life's good!

Fire91
Explorer
Explorer
Getting ready to install a B&W Hitch in my truck. Have to have liner resprayed due to a minor issue after installed. Also B&W's website says you can have liner sprayed after install and it will seal around the hitch.
2013 Chevy 2500HD CCSB W/Duramax
2015 Jayco 321RSTS 5th Wheel
B&W Companion Slider

wandering1
Explorer
Explorer
Before.
HR

Orcadrvr
Explorer
Explorer
TucsonJim wrote:

I'm glad you are okay, but that's a pretty funny story!
I am sure we have all had a few "home improvement" stories like that one!

catfishmontana
Explorer
Explorer
TucsonJim wrote:

Oh man! LOL. This sounds like how my projects go!
2016 F350 Platinum Dually, CC
2014 Cyclone 3800 toyhauler
B&W Companion 20K

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
There is a gap with the turnover ball hole so get the hitch done and they can fill in the gap with the liner!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

YnotTurbo
Explorer
Explorer
I had the liner sprayed in first. No issues with the rails.
Navy Chief (Ret.) Still working. 2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 4:10 Geared and 935 lbs. of Grunt..., 2011 Mobile Suites Lexington

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer

2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
Install the hitch, then remove it do the bed liner. Then reinstall. That way the holes get sealed too

If the hitch installer knows what he is doing he can lay out and drill the holes then install liner and never put the hitch in the bed.. Install hitch for the first time after the liner is cured.
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired