cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Holding tank issues

Tyandkate
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2007 Jayco 25z ultralite there are two lines under that camper one from the black tank and one front the grey they run side by side until just before the hose fitting the grey line 45s in to the black line. It appears that part of the grey line didnโ€™t get glued properly and when I start dumping my black tank the water is actually backing up in to the grey line and leaking from the fitting on the 45 degree elbow. Is there a way to seal that with out replacing the whole fitting?
10 REPLIES 10

Tyandkate
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the replies i sanded the pipe last night and coated it with abs glue it appears the fittings just didn't get enough glue at the factory and I'm very happy to say it is no longer leaking. Thanks so much y'all what a wonderful group of knowledge willing to share I'm very thankful for it!

Drew_A_
Explorer
Explorer
Tyandkate wrote:
Thanks for all the replies yโ€™all Iโ€™m trying the ABS glue tonight and will add another coat to
It in the morning. Will update once I leak test

Standard ABS glue will likely work, however, if there is a crack it could open again.

Plasti-mend is fantastic stuff. I used it this past spring to repair the outlet pipe from my black tank. Can't recommend it enough.

Plasti-mend
2018 Ram 3500 CTD, 4X4, Laramie, SRW, SB
2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Tyandkate
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the replies yโ€™all Iโ€™m trying the ABS glue tonight and will add another coat to
It in the morning. Will update once I leak test

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
Ditto on applying more ABS glue to the joint after excavating it some. After that if you feel it is needed you can also cut a matching size ABS coupling in half long ways and glue it around the pipe and butt it up against where the leak was occurring. Make sure to clean the existing area to be glued with some alcohol or acetone before applying the glue.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
My advice after doing a number of these repairs; don't replace it and please don't use the wrong adhesive. Lightly sand the area and apply several coats of ABS cement, which will work much better and last forever.

X2
Being a 2007, the plastic is already set inside the joint so repair-in-place may not work. You could try pushing some ABS cement into the joint and see if it seals. You're going to need the glue, in any event.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
My advice after doing a number of these repairs; don't replace it and please don't use the wrong adhesive. Lightly sand the area and apply several coats of ABS cement, which will work much better and last forever.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I like goop myself and wonder about that black sticky stretchy miracle tape that they advertise on TV.
bumpy

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
Amazing Goop is great stuff and would do the trick.
Currently RV-less but not done yet.

Fireballsocal
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with gbopp. I would try JB Weld or another 2 part epoxy. My only other suggestion is get into the joint or crack as best as you can with a small file or even sand paper, and clean up the plastic as well as you can. That will give the epoxy something clean to adhere to.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Replacing is probably the best option.

However, can you slide the 45 back and apply glue? If it's partly glued in place you can probably apply JB Weld around the fitting to stop the leak.

Another option would be caulk and wrap the leaking area with Eternabond or a strong tape. There isn't much pressure in the line so that may be sufficient to stop the leak.