cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hot water tank propane leak

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
I noticed a propane smell in TC this morning when I went out into the camper. Did a leak check and found the brass fitting was leaking. Here are pics. Bubbling was more intense before I got camera ready. Tried to lightly tighten fitting but already as tight as will go. Is there a quick fix that I can do or do I have to take TC in for service. Emailed Adventurer also, waiting on reply.
11 REPLIES 11

You_can_t_take_
Explorer
Explorer
billyray50 wrote:
Thanks all.. Fixed the leak. Just had to tighten it with 2 wrenches.

:B
1960's: Tents.. 1970's: Soft top & Hard top P/U.. 1980's: 17' RV.. 1990's: 24' RV.. 2000's: 2002 Cougar 276EFS; 2005 Laredo 29GS; 2002 GMC 2500HD Ext Cab 4x4; 2015: 2006 Class 'B' Chateau Citation; "(Nfld/Labrador-Yukon/NWT/Alaska-Gaspe', Que./Florida!!)

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all.. Fixed the leak. Just had to tighten it with 2 wrenches.

joeshmoe
Explorer
Explorer
Do what SD said. Do not use pipe dope or any sealant or tape on flare, compression or anything fitting other than pipe threads. Give it a slight tightening. It'll probably stop. . I had two leaks 1 day after I took delivery of my "new" camper.
2014 Northwood Wolf Creek 850
2005 Ford F350 SRW SuperCab/LongBed 6.0 Powerstroke
QuickTrick's Towing Tune
Torklift Tie Downs/Fastguns/Upper/Lower Stableloads
Rancho 9000's

shellbackcva59
Explorer
Explorer
As the first poster said, take it apart and make sure the copper flare isn't cracked.

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Guys.

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
midnightsadie wrote:
X 2 I,d put a little pipe dope on the threads before retightening,if it works? recheck for leaks a couple days later.
pipe dope(thread sealer) wont work. Flare fittings work on compression of the flared copper tubing to the fitting. The nut and threads just compress the flare to fitting.
Suspect an improper or cracked flare if tightening with 2 wrenches does not work.
On 3/8- 1/2" soft copper tubing like you have, 20-30 ft lb torque is plenty to seal a flared fitting.

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
gregchambers wrote:
Any sealant (which technically shouldn't be needed but occasional is) should go between the internal tapered flare on the copper tubing and the external taper or "nose" on the brass fitting. I would avoid getting sealant on the threads as that could impede properly tightening of the flare nut. The threads don't seal on flare fittings, only where the tubing and fitting meet.
I agree.

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

gregchambers
Explorer
Explorer
Any sealant (which technically shouldn't be needed but occasional is) should go between the internal tapered flare on the copper tubing and the external taper or "nose" on the brass fitting. I would avoid getting sealant on the threads as that could impede properly tightening of the flare nut. The threads don't seal on flare fittings, only where the tubing and fitting meet.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Use two wrenches and tighten it more. It may seem tight but your having to crush the metal inside that fitting to make the seal.
If you take it in they're just going to do the same thing.
BTW, this is not the place for pipe dope. A drop of oil on the threads will help you tighten it though.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
X 2 I,d put a little pipe dope on the threads before retightening,if it works? recheck for leaks a couple days later.

You_can_t_take_
Explorer
Explorer
That is a flare fitting. I would loosen it up (using two wrenches) and check for damage on the flare where it contacts the fitting. Before you start, mark the fitting so that you can compare the 'before' and 'after' location of the nut. If there is no visible damage then re-tighten... again using two wrenches. and see if the fitting is actually tighter when you are done.. it should be. Then re-check for leaks. Oh.. you must turn off the propane first of course!!
1960's: Tents.. 1970's: Soft top & Hard top P/U.. 1980's: 17' RV.. 1990's: 24' RV.. 2000's: 2002 Cougar 276EFS; 2005 Laredo 29GS; 2002 GMC 2500HD Ext Cab 4x4; 2015: 2006 Class 'B' Chateau Citation; "(Nfld/Labrador-Yukon/NWT/Alaska-Gaspe', Que./Florida!!)