cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

how important is being level

Chaz59
Explorer
Explorer
I will be pulling out Wednesday, i would like to be hooked up the nite before , but i may not be level, is this important since i will be leaving in 12 hrs. I will be running my ac and frig.overnite .
Charles
22 REPLIES 22

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
ktmrfs wrote:
my question is does it make a difference if the off level is side to side or for and aft???? knowing somewhat how the fridges work, I'd think that being off level side to side e.g. horizontal when facing the fridge would be much more of an issue than being off level front to back e.g. vertical.

But then I'm not an excpert on these fridges.

Good question. I just always assumed that off level in any direction is bad.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
my question is does it make a difference if the off level is side to side or for and aft???? knowing somewhat how the fridges work, I'd think that being off level side to side e.g. horizontal when facing the fridge would be much more of an issue than being off level front to back e.g. vertical.

But then I'm not an excpert on these fridges.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
The more level the better for the fridge. You may not kill it instantly but, you are killing it slowly. My TT and fridge are 23 years old and the fridge still works. (knock on wood) But, I always try to keep it level unless towing.

Chaz59
Explorer
Explorer
thanks, for the help, i think i have my answer.
Charles

mikakuja
Explorer
Explorer
eichacsj wrote:
Chaz59 wrote:
I will be pulling out Wednesday, i would like to be hooked up the nite before , but i may not be level, is this important since i will be leaving in 12 hrs. I will be running my ac and frig.overnite .

Not an issue, close is close enough. I never level when traveling, just park where it is close enough for use to sleep, never unhook when staying over night, sometime I pull into the site, plug it in and set the slides out, eat and sleep. Unlike others, I have never worried about the Refer, run on propane while driving, unlevel (as much as I can tolerate) last TT of 13 years, and now my current 3 years now, never had a problem nor has it warmed up.

Enjoy your travels, don't over think it.

X2

eichacsj
Explorer
Explorer
Chaz59 wrote:

Not an issue, close is close enough. I never level when traveling, just park where it is close enough for use to sleep, never unhook when staying over night, sometime I pull into the site, plug it in and set the slides out, eat and sleep. Unlike others, I have never worried about the Refer, run on propane while driving, unlevel (as much as I can tolerate) last TT of 13 years, and now my current 3 years now, never had a problem nor has it warmed up.

Enjoy your travels, don't over think it.
2014 Arctic Fox 30U
2001 Silverado 2500 HD, 4WD
8.1 Vortec / 4.10 gears / ATS Stage 2 Allison Transmission with Co-Pilot
Tekonsha Prodigy P2 Brake Controller
Reece Class 5 Hitch with 1700lb bars

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
It depends on how long you want your refrigerator to last.
They are one of the most expensive things to replace on an RV, and the most particular in how well they run. Level your rig or shut down the unit.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:
hohenwald48 wrote:
One more topic that folks like to over think.

Comfortably level is good enough. If for just a little while, like a rest stop, it's not very important at all.

agree. If it was that finicky. you couldn't use it on the road

well moving is quite a bit different than stopped with a absorption fridge. When moving at least dometic and norcold say off axis is not an issue since there is enough trailer movement to make sure that everything flows through the system as intended. not the case when stopped.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

GrandpaKip
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree with DutchmenSport. It only takes a few minutes to level the camper. We had a lot of one night stands on our last trip. Most of the time we stayed hitched up, leveled, and stabilized. Not really a big deal. And the reefer stays cold.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
hohenwald48 wrote:

Comfortably level is good enough. If for just a little while, like a rest stop, it's not very important at all.

agree. If it was that finicky. you couldn't use it on the road
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer

When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

Chaz59
Explorer
Explorer
Big1 wrote:
I bought a 16 denali and the dealer told me that they came a long way and that it would be a big issue if you don't get it prefect or near prefect.

i am running the ac at nite because it is hot here in tx, i can ice down my frig food in cooler
Charles

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
It's not THAT hard to get a camper somewhat level, unless you are parked on the side of a cliff and falling over! Find your spot you want to stay for the night, position the tires, see how much off level you are. Then move the rig forward or backward about 5 feet and place leveling boards, or Lynx blocks or, whatever you may have, and pull the trailer back on the boards, or block, or whatever. A "perfect" level is not necessary,but there's no reason why you can get it close. You may not have to unhitch if you are somewhat level front to back. But if it is way off, especially if the nose is low, simply unhitch and raise the tongue. You don't even need to move the the tow vehicle. In the morning when you get ready to leave, re-hitching takes only a minute.

If nose needs to go down, just move to tow vehicle forward a foot after unhitching.

Still, there's really no reason why you can't get relatively level, even hitched, for an over night. Yes, it IS worth the little extra effort to get the boards or blocks out and take that 5 minutes to level. It makes the inside of the camper so much more enjoyable.

Once level, slides work as they are suppose to, no danger of damage. Refrigerator works like it suppose to to max efficiency. Air Conditioner works correct with no threat of stressing it. Even the microwave oven turn table will work better if level! Take the time and throw something under the tires of the trailer, and then you'll never have any issues with anything.

While you are at it, drop the jacks on the back of the camper so it helps eliminate some of the wobbly shake too.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Why run the a/c prior to hauling it on a 12 volt system with no a/c ?

If the fridge is off, it does not need to be level.

As you are looking at the fridge , It's more important for the gas to flow evenly if the fridge is level from east to west due to the design of the tubes.

If the fridge is located on the roadside or curbside of the TT, then you use the trailers tongue jack to make it level. If the fridge should be on a rear wall or front wall, then you would level it by using the wheels and suspension on blocks.

To level it the first time. Use a bubble level inside the freezer compartment to get it level... then while its level, install levels on the outside of the trailer for easier quicker leveling.
I use a large level that i can see in my side-view mirror while pulling into a site. I just park it where its level. That eliminates using wood under the wheels most of the time.

Sometimes i find it easier to turn the fridge OFF when parking off level at a rest stop or parking lots while shopping for relatively short periods of time. It will act as a cooler for hours. Don't forget to fire it back on before you depart again.