cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How and were to get the best price on a Truck?

Chuck___
Explorer
Explorer
I have narrowed my choices down to a one ton 3500 dually, 4x4, four door, Ford Lariat or King Ranch diesel or Dodge Laramie/Longhorn diesel. Last week I send out my specifications to several parties trying to get bids for both trucks, for example: to Dave Smith in northern ID, the other Dodge dealer in Caldwell, Id, AAA Oregon AutoSource, and AutoLand an auto Broker. So far, I only got a price from AAA Oregon AutoSource and a local dealer on a Ford. The prices didn’t seem all that great compared to the local dealer.

I am trying make a smart purchase and not to get taken by a dealership. I used to get prices same day from AAA and the auto broker. When shopping back in 1999 for my 2500 Dodge and in 2008 for my son’s truck the prices were far below any dealer period using these services. Maybe I am just get a little impatient for more bids to come in.

It seems that I can find how to get prices for a Dodge, but not so much for a Ford.

I’m not a Ford employee or a friend to be able to get any special prices or plans.

Maybe I missed some postings on this subject also.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Chuck
43 REPLIES 43

gmcsmoke
Explorer
Explorer
Ron3rd wrote:
gmcsmoke wrote:
so dillon has 446 RAM trucks on their lot and not one limited? really?

?? I was able to find Limiteds on the site, but I was looking at CTD's.

I didn't see any under their trims. plenty of longhorns though

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for Dennis Dillon. Great prices for comparison or to buy from. Ford does seem to be a bit more difficult. I don't know of a bottom line dealer so willing to post prices.

I've used the Costco program and was happy. Some argue they can sit in the cubicle and shave a few more dollars off and maybe they can. It's like everything else with Costco - the worst you'll do is a decent deal. You'll never get a bad deal and could get a great deal.

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
gmcsmoke wrote:

?? I was able to find Limiteds on the site, but I was looking at CTD's.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

gmcsmoke
Explorer
Explorer

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
minnow wrote:
Dave Smith was bought out and got a new management and pricing philosophy. The deals are gone. Dillion was the best price by thousands over the 8 dealers I priced shopped.

x2 ... All correct.

Check with Dennis Dillon Ram, click here

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's not hard to find out the "dealer invoice" price on any vehicle (then factor in hold-backs, incentives, etc) so I'm always amazed when people make the negotiation process mysterious or difficult.
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Haven't tried the Dillon/Dave smith type dealers, but what I've found in very limited experience is that yes, end of month/year quotas are real and can net you a deal from a "normal" dealer that shoots for sticker price on every vehicle. But sometimes even that is a bait n switch.
Also dealers don't want to give away a penny unless they "think" they've got you hooked. Even then it's luck of the draw and depends on the market.

I like haggling on price. Been doing it way before gas monkey garage made it the vogue thing to do, lol. But car dealers just make my skin crawl. They drive me nuts. The constant calls just because you gave them your number thinking they'll call you when they're ready to deal. The slimy sales pitch and lack of any useful information. Etc.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ignorance is bliss!
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
gmcsmoke wrote:
2012Coleman wrote:
Do yourself a favor, and research this web site: http://fightingchance.com/

Pay attention to the info on invoice price.

1996 called they want their website back.

if you can't tell by the poorly designed website that guy's a hack this seals the deal...

For a sneak peek at what you'll get for $44.95, scroll down to "What's In The Fighting Chance Package?"

X2!!
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

gmcsmoke
Explorer
Explorer
2012Coleman wrote:

1996 called they want their website back.

if you can't tell by the poorly designed website that guy's a hack this seals the deal...

For a sneak peek at what you'll get for $44.95, scroll down to "What's In The Fighting Chance Package?"

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

minnow
Explorer
Explorer
Dave Smith was bought out and got a new management and pricing philosophy. The deals are gone. Dillion was the best price by thousands over the 8 dealers I priced shopped.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Ron3rd wrote:
Both are great trucks but I think you'll find you can get the Dodge for about $10,000 less than the Ford, at least that was my experience in So Cal.

It was more like 5K for a Ford then a Ram when I purchased my 2014 Ram Laramie, that was comparing with the Lariat . Didn't want a Ford bad enough to pay 5K more.

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Both are great trucks but I think you'll find you can get the Dodge for about $10,000 less than the Ford, at least that was my experience in So Cal.
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

Threebigfords
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have any info for you on the Ram's but have had good luck dealing with Bowen Scarff Ford and Bickford Ford in Washington, which isn't too far away from you.

Don't be afraid to travel a little to get the best deal. It can save you several thousands.

Last truck I bought I flew from Seattle to Mobile Alabama to pick up. The $550 in air fare and fuel to drive home saved me $9000 in the cost of the truck.
15' Ford F450 4x4 Platinum Bronze Fire Metallic
17' Ford Explorer Platinum 3.5 Ecoboost Ruby Red Metallic
78' F250 SC LB 4x4 - highly modified

2003 Weekend Warrior FS2600 toyhauler and the toys to fill it
1997 10' Northland Grizzly 990 Ext Cab