cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How far would you drive for new TT?

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
I'm amazed at the price variation by area of the country for RVs. I asked my local dealer who had a unit I was interested in why I could buy the same unit he had @ 33K for 25K if I was willing to drive a long ways. He said a big part was the shipping they pay to get the unit to them (Oregon from Indiana). But then I know they make a lot of RVs in Oregon so I'm not sure what to believe.

In looking on RV Trader at new units the exact same model is often times 5-10K cheaper if I'm willing to drive. The specific one I'm looking at currently can be had for 24K in North Dakota (1200 miles away) or for 27K in Washington (200 miles away). Locally, I can't find it for under about 32K.

I know there is a lot of value in having a good dealer for service but not $8,000 worth. And I know getting warranty work can be difficult at a dealer you didn't purchase from.

Has anyone driven a long ways to save a chunk of money? Would you do it again?
43 REPLIES 43

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
[COLOR=]Here is a link to what I didto bring my present TT home.
Long distance TT purchase
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

steve-n-vicki
Explorer
Explorer
I drove 1300 miles round trip to save almost $6000

pira114
Explorer II
Explorer II
I can't remember the actual miles, but we drove for about 25 hours over 3 days looking at very specific trailers in three states. Got a great deal.

I just looked at it as a trip in itself, added in some touristy things to do, and had fun.

At that point, I didn't care about the miles.

kmbernstein
Explorer
Explorer
We drove 700 miles each way Saved thousands, got a good dealer, fun camping trips, and the trailer we wanted with the additional goodies we liked. And yes, we would do it again.
Me, 1 Great hubby (Tim), Cole the Standard Poodle,
Magic the tiny Bengal Cat
2012 Skyline Koala 21CS
2007 Ford Explorer

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
Oregon made? Northwood Mfg in LaGrande, Forest River has a plant here in Dallas.
What specifically are you looking for?

The main two I've been looking at are a Jayco and a Cougar. Forest River has some appealing plans as well but the one I want is a bit more than I want to spend right now. It's also a newer floor plan and hard to find. Northwood makes some very nice stuff but they don't have a floor plan that I'm interested in. I need a bunch of bunks and have a wife with some specific "must haves."

I have a TT I'm somewhat content with so I may not do anything this year. This spring seems to be especially brisk around my area for RV purchases. Dealers are not willing to negotiate much on price and are selling things super quick. I've tried to see if can get some money off by using the prices at the far away lots. The salesman basically told me to have a nice drive 🙂

Thanks for all the replies... keep them coming.

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
I drove 1250 miles, one way, to save $7,000.00 over the nearest Arctic Fox TT dealer, which was 300 miles from me. I figured that I have to drive somewhere for vacation, so MN it was. I then bought another TT from the same dealer, again he was $3,000.00 less than the closest dealer. Make a vacation out of it.

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
yep, I drove 630 miles each way to get my camper to save $3800. Spent a few hundred on fuel and one motel night on the way over to get it. And yes, I'd do it again.

EDIT: but too, I love a road trip. So it was fun for me.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
I found that depending on the brand that some brands are harder to find here in Oregon. For instance there's only one Cedar Creek dealer in Oregon. So they will bend you over when dealing. I can go to Ohio and get the same 5th for $42-44,000. Here its $57,000. Yes there's about $3,000 tacked on for shipping and I'm fine with that. But that still leaves a difference of $8-10,000. As far as having a dealer close by that you would by from and having warranty issues. Well I drove 300 miles for my current 5th and it's been out of warranty for 1 year. Wouldn't of made any difference where I bought it form as I'm on my own anyway.
Unless you buy a trailer made locally then you'll have to pay the $3,000 for shipping and possibly have a hard time dealing if the dealer is the one trick pony type.

wkswenson
Explorer
Explorer
We drove 335 miles one way, for a total of 2010 miles as we had to make the round trip 3 separate times to complete the purchase and pick up the unit. But got a deal that would not have happened around our house.
Walter & Donna Swenson
2013 Cedar Creek 38FL - Front Living, Trail Air
2011 Dodge RAM 3500 6.7 CTD DRW CC LB
Our Website - "A Work in Progress"

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
I'd drive where ever I needed to if the price made the trip financially worth it. And make the return trip a campin' trip. Perfect

Houston_Remodel
Explorer
Explorer
We considered driving 1100 miles to save $4000 but our local dealer knuckled under and price matched.
2015 Starcraft Launch 24RLS
2014 Ram 2500 diesel 4x4
Guarded by 2 Jack Russells

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't hesitate to drive 800 miles from OK to Indiana, personally. Especially for that kind of money. 😉

You have to decide how much time you have, and what your time is worth. 200 miles to save $6K in WA seems like a slam dunk to me. Adding another 1000 miles to save an additional $3K... only you can decide.

It can't be all transportation expense. The one in WA was transported as far or farther than the one in OR, right?

But before you commit to the drive, make sure the distant dealer is including a comprehensive PDI and all the details are hammered out and agreed upon.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
I drove three hours to north Georgia to save $6000. My local dealer would not even come close to there price. I gave them several opportunities to negotiate but couldn't agree on a number. My local dealer was bought out by CW last month, so I guess I will always be buying from a distance.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Oregon made? Northwood Mfg in LaGrande, Forest River has a plant here in Dallas.
What specifically are you looking for?