cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How far would you drive for new TT?

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
I'm amazed at the price variation by area of the country for RVs. I asked my local dealer who had a unit I was interested in why I could buy the same unit he had @ 33K for 25K if I was willing to drive a long ways. He said a big part was the shipping they pay to get the unit to them (Oregon from Indiana). But then I know they make a lot of RVs in Oregon so I'm not sure what to believe.

In looking on RV Trader at new units the exact same model is often times 5-10K cheaper if I'm willing to drive. The specific one I'm looking at currently can be had for 24K in North Dakota (1200 miles away) or for 27K in Washington (200 miles away). Locally, I can't find it for under about 32K.

I know there is a lot of value in having a good dealer for service but not $8,000 worth. And I know getting warranty work can be difficult at a dealer you didn't purchase from.

Has anyone driven a long ways to save a chunk of money? Would you do it again?
43 REPLIES 43

Bobbyg2013
Explorer
Explorer
I am driving from Arizona to Michigan and will save $4,700. I was going there to see my daughter anyway so it is not out of the way. Yes, shipping charges of $3K+ is much of the difference.

1Longbow
Explorer
Explorer
We never had a problem with any warranty work. We just called the manufactuer and they set everything up ,no money out of my pocket. Did the guy that did the warranty work jack up the price ? Don't know .

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
In 2007 I drove 1100 miles round trip to buy a new travel trailer solely based on the fact I could get it at 100 under invoice (wholesale).
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

travelnutz
Explorer II
Explorer II
BTW, the shipping costs can also be part of your savings and easily pay for one leg or more of your expenses incurred by going to get the item yourself and making it a cheap vacation or venture while still saving all the other money too!
A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

travelnutz
Explorer II
Explorer II
What people are forgetting about the cost to go a distance to buy an RV or aything else they can save an amount of money on is calculating the true cost of the trip. A lot more to it than what's been posted.

For instance: Only part of the trip cost can be real as you'd still be driving etc to a much closer dealer anyway or around town etc and that's not free either and then will still pay more for the item too. Hate to break it to some but you will still be eating even at home and was that food free or the utility cost to prepare it? How about any money spent while not going for entertainment or other activities? Sure hope you aren't going out to eat at home as that's as much or more than getting some food and yup, driving again, when not going to save real money and the additional interest on the higher costs if the item is financed. That's big bucks every year until paid off! You need to deduct the cost of your normal living/eating/true interest/etc from traveling even a long distance to save real money to be accurate.

As for any warranty repairs, the manufacturer pays the place they OK'd to do what's needed to be done, the dealer doesn't or have any fish in that pond but many like to mark up the manufacturer's reimbersments, so beware! If you want something done to an item or an RV not covered under the warranty, you make all the decisions and will pay the costs anyway so that's a no brainer and a mute subject.

Can you be enjoying a mini or long trip or vacation and seeing the countryside RV'ing etc while just sitting/staying at home by not going?

Why is the cost of living and the same items cost 10% to 25% higher on either the east or west coast or much of the south? Because other than just the actual shipping costs, people living in these places/areas are in general willing to pay the more money for the same items and are a "captive audience" so why should sellers/dealers ever lower their prices??? In most of these areas mentioned, the taxes and cost of living is much higher than some other areas and the people living in the higher cost areas just accept it as being normal and keep shelling out the extra $$$ over and over. If you want your local stores/dealers to be more competitive, you simply avoid them until they do so or they will close the doors and a more competitive operation will come into the area then as they are well aware of why others have closed. Competition moderated by demand is what drive selling prices! Why pay more????
A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

Doug33
Explorer
Explorer
I'm amazed that some people are saving several thousands of dollars by driving significantly further. I compared prices over several dealers within a couple hours of home, and the prices were all within a couple hundred bucks, so I went with the dealer I felt most comfortable with.

I don't do any real long camping trips (usually less than 300 miles), so I would never consider driving thousands of miles to pick up a TT. But to each his own.
2014 Keystone Bullet 281BHS
2002 Chevy Avalanche 5.3L 4x4
Equalizer hitch
Nights spent camping in 2015: 25
Next trip: mid-April 2016?

DakotaDad
Explorer
Explorer
wincrasher65 wrote:
People wonder why there are so many crappy dealers out there who won't give good service or retain decent employees. It's because of people like this who shop solely on price and will travel great distances to save a few bucks.

Paying a bit more upfront may end up being a wiser financial choice over the long haul.

I can understand this argument, I even agree with it.. to a point.

But how MUCH more would you pay to buy locally, versus travel? Where is the line between "a wiser financial choice" and "throwing money away"?

Personally, I set the line at about 10% plus travel costs. Slightly more for the good local dealers, somewhat less for the not-so-good. Had I been able to hit that price locally, I'd have bought locally. But I wasnt. So I'll be driving.

I think we'd all like to buy locally. But like everything else in life, there's a cost. Where's the cutoff?
Jason, Angie, and our boys, Sean (13) and Liam (8)
Now with Radar and Daisy, both Boston Terriers. Missing Artemus the Labrador, gone on ahead.
2016 Ram 3500 CC Big Horn - 6.7 Cummins - B&W RVK3600 hitch
2015 Palomino Sabre 33RETS Platinum fifth wheel

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
I think it is just an excuse for a dealer not to give warranty service. They win too in this proposition. If you buy long distance you're not likely to come back for anything. I get a lower price, the dealer has one less customer to worry about.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

wincrasher65
Explorer
Explorer
People wonder why there are so many crappy dealers out there who won't give good service or retain decent employees. It's because of people like this who shop solely on price and will travel great distances to save a few bucks.

A good dealership takes profits to remain a good dealership. If you want good treatment, you need to be seen as a good and valuable customer, folks.

Now I doubt that any dealer would actually refuse to service you because you bought elsewhere, but most likely you will fall to the bottom of the list to get a service appointment - behind all his "good" customers. They have a right to do that, and as I've found in the past, is allowed by the manufacturers.

Calling the manufacturer to complain many enable you to bully your way into his shop, but I doubt would result in stellar service. I'm not sure I'd want my RV worked on by people I had to "force" to take me.

I'm not saying to pay an ungodly amount to buy local, but give due consideration to what you are choosing to do - consider your time, expense, and expected service after the sale in your decision making. Paying a bit more upfront may end up being a wiser financial choice over the long haul.
2016 Winnebago Travato 59K, 2017 Allegro 32SA
Follow my blog: www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Our Facebook group is: Class B Camper Vans

DakotaDad
Explorer
Explorer
We're about to drive 600 miles to pick up a new TT. The line isn't available locally, but an equivalent would cost $5-6k more at our local dealers. We're an isolated and captive market, so the local dealers don't see the need to match. I'm sure they figure most people won't cross-shop that far away.

Drove 1000+ miles back in 2008 (to Ohio) , for the same reason. Lost that TT to hail.

I've got some concerns how warranty work will go with the new one, if we run into it. But $5-6k will pay for a few trips back and forth if necessary. As long as we don't pick up a lemon, we're ahead on $$, at the expense of a few days of driving. I'll take that gamble.
Jason, Angie, and our boys, Sean (13) and Liam (8)
Now with Radar and Daisy, both Boston Terriers. Missing Artemus the Labrador, gone on ahead.
2016 Ram 3500 CC Big Horn - 6.7 Cummins - B&W RVK3600 hitch
2015 Palomino Sabre 33RETS Platinum fifth wheel

randallb
Explorer
Explorer
If your local dealer refuses to do warranty repairs the fix is very simple. You call the manufacturer and explain the situation. They will contact the dealer and get the dealer's side of the story. If they can not get your issue rectified there is a very good chance that you will be instructed to take it to a facility of your choice. After an initial trip to Coburn, OR for warranty repairs, primarily trim issues, all of the warranty repairs on our 08 Vacationer were performed by an independent facility. All of the mechanicals are covered by the suppliers not the RV builder and any good independent will be happy to do the warranty repairs on your heater, water heater, etc.
Randy

texasclarks
Explorer
Explorer
mtofell1 wrote:
How have you folks buying far away done getting warranty service and repairs? Are local dealers/shops willing to work on your trailers? My local dealer told me I'd be at the bottom of their list and they may have to charge me more if things take longer than the factory allowance for a given repair.

Of course, I can pay for a lot of repairs and still come out way ahead. I'm just trying to get the whole picture before I decide if/what to do. Thanks!

I saved a bunch and since I move every year or so what good is a local dealer. When I bought my TT new the 'local' guy was 15% more and wouldn't budge...even when I told him I was moving in less than 3-months.

And when you called the factory for repairs...they told me where to go and that dealership was waiting for me. They were happy for my business.
Posts are for entertainment purposes only and should not be construed as endorsement or recommendations. YMMV!

Steven & Stacie, plus 2 ('02 & '07)
'04 Suburban 2500, Quad Seats, 8.1L, 3.73
'09 Rockwood 8313SS

Texas not just a State, but a State of mind!

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
SprinklerMan wrote:
I guess I was lucky , I drove 100 feet . I bought my neighbors trailer . Great deal , I would have driven a few feet more if I had to .

I'm glad you didn't have to put yourself out.:B
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

SprinklerMan
Explorer
Explorer
I guess I was lucky , I drove 100 feet . I bought my neighbors trailer . Great deal , I would have driven a few feet more if I had to .