cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How much truck for a shortbed TC with a slide?

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
This past weekend, I was looking at TCs with a family member (what she likes is a big factor in decisions), I've narrowed down possible candidates to the Lance 855S or the Arctic Fox 811.

The 855S dry is 2650 pounds. The AF 811 is 2873 pounds. Realistically, with full tanks, batteries, supplies, and other stuff, I'm going to add 1000-1500 pounds to that total, possibly 2000 pounds, assuming a lot of gear.

A Ford F-350's payload (assuming a gasser, extended cab, shortbed, 4x4, SRW) varies between 3400-4170 pounds. I am looking at a 4.3 gear ratio, which will allow the vehicle to be in the higher end of the spectrum.

With this in mind, assuming I'm towing a smallish trailer sometimes, will a SRW do the trick, or is this well into DRW territory? I'm "lucky" because both the truck and the TC are being selected at the same time, so I can match both fairly accurately. My fear is buying the truck and suspension mods (airbags), buying the TC and its accessories, then finding that even though the paper numbers are OK, in reality, the rig is overweight by the numbers. Yes, airbags, additional leafs, and such help, but the manufacturer ratings are not going to change.

Thanks again... I look around, but nothing beats opinions of people who know what they are doing.
64 REPLIES 64

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
in earlier years Ford and Dodge 3/4 ton trucks had a higher capacity than the GM trucks.

I haven't followed truck GVWRs since 2010, other than knowing that in 2011, GM increased their GVWRs.

I'm not sure how the GVWRs across manufacturers compare on newer model 3/4 ton trucks.

Bedlam wrote:

You also saw mine on a 3/4t truck pulling 7000 lbs on return from a longer trip...

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/27698433.cfm

Bob

RZAR66
Explorer
Explorer
Powelligator wrote:
I think that there's fewer shortbed models available because with the constraints of the physical size of what carries it, there are only so many tricks the designers can come up with. I might be wrong, but I don't think anyone offers a shortbed side-entry camper for example.

Joe

True but if you look at all of Lances short bed floor plans they all have the same rear bath front kitchen layout. They all have u shape dinettes except for the 855S. Lance used to make a 830 short bed camper with side entry, it was a pretty slick camper.
2018 Ford F-350 DRW
2024 Northern Lite 10-2

Powelligator
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
Host has a triple slide short bed model with side entry:

http://www.hostcampers.com/subs/campers/camper_Aspen%20SB.html

I kind of knew that as soon as I hit the "Post" button someone, somewhere, would correct me and point out an innovative side-entry short bed design. I stand corrected. ๐Ÿ™‚

That said, that's one interesting floorplan. The tub slides with the rest of the left side wall? Maybe not my cup of tea (I'm an 8' bed never has to be made kind of guy) but for purposes of pure curiosity sure would like to see that in person.

Joe
2014 F-350 carrying a 1995 Lance 4000
1994 F-250HD carrying nothing, enjoying its retirement. ๐Ÿ™‚

wintersun
Explorer II
Explorer II
The load limiting factor on a pickup is the tires. Easier to increase the payload capacity of a factory stock truck by getting the DRW option and for a greater than 4,000 lb. payload it is the simplest approach.

An alternative is 19.5 rims and tires which provide 8800 lbs. of support at the rear axle. Even with E rated tires there are ones from Toyo and Nitto that provide 7500 lbs. of support with the factory rims.

The 855 and 855s are as light a camper as you will find in that size and easily managed with a SRW truck. Regardless of the truck you are probably going to upgrade the shocks and add a heavy duty rear anti-sway bar (Ford especially).

You are correct in going with a 4.10 rear end gear set. It will provide for faster acceleration with the camper load and a gas engine. The difference in MPG will be negligible with today's 6-speed transmissions that have 2 overdrive gears.

Bedlam
Host has a triple slide short bed model with side entry:

http://www.hostcampers.com/subs/campers/camper_Aspen%20SB.html

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Host makes a triple slide side entry 9 1/2 for a SB. They made a 8 1/2 side entry called the McKinley as well with an optional tent out the back and driver side slide. There may be other brands as well.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Powelligator
Explorer
Explorer
I think that there's fewer shortbed models available because with the constraints of the physical size of what carries it, there are only so many tricks the designers can come up with. I might be wrong, but I don't think anyone offers a shortbed side-entry camper for example.

Joe

RZAR66
Explorer
Explorer
Powelligator wrote:
RZAR66 wrote:
Lance offers 8 long bed models vs. 4 made for short beds

Apologies, I don't think I made my point clear:

I was told by the Lance rep at the last show I was at that in sheer numbers they build (and presumably sell) far more shortbed campers than longbed ones. Even though they have more longbed *models* available, they only had one at that particular show and three shortbed versions, simply because they sold more total *units* of shortbed campers.

In his defense he handed me a brochure showing all the different longbed models, but it's not the same as seeing one in person. Like the other poster mentioned, seeing truck campers at any RV show is somewhat rare! We are, after all, the red-headed stepchild of the RV culture...

Hopefully that makes better sense.

Joe

No apologie needed. I misread your original post. You would think if Lance sold more SB campers they would offer more.
2018 Ford F-350 DRW
2024 Northern Lite 10-2

Powelligator
Explorer
Explorer
RZAR66 wrote:
Lance offers 8 long bed models vs. 4 made for short beds

Apologies, I don't think I made my point clear:

I was told by the Lance rep at the last show I was at that in sheer numbers they build (and presumably sell) far more shortbed campers than longbed ones. Even though they have more longbed *models* available, they only had one at that particular show and three shortbed versions, simply because they sold more total *units* of shortbed campers.

In his defense he handed me a brochure showing all the different longbed models, but it's not the same as seeing one in person. Like the other poster mentioned, seeing truck campers at any RV show is somewhat rare! We are, after all, the red-headed stepchild of the RV culture...

Hopefully that makes better sense.

Joe

Bedlam
deltabravo wrote:
+100 on a dually for an AF 811.

Heck, I'm overloaded per the GVWR with my AF811 on my Silverado 09 3500HD dually, and this is BEFORE I but any gear in it.

I see SB AF811s on a 2500HD GM truck, but I would never do it.

You also saw mine on a 3/4t truck pulling 7000 lbs on return from a longer trip...

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/27698433.cfm

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
jimh425 wrote:
Arctic Fox

SB - 1
LB - 7 with the 811 used to be available in long as well.

811 - It's still available in a long bed, though not many are built.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
+100 on a dually for an AF 811.

Heck, I'm overloaded per the GVWR with my AF811 on my Silverado 09 3500HD dually, and this is BEFORE I but any gear in it.

I see SB AF811s on a 2500HD GM truck, but I would never do it.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Butch50
Explorer
Explorer
Powelligator wrote:

More than one dealer told me that a slide-in designed for an 8 foot bed will fit in a short bed "with just the tailgate down".

-Joe

More than one dealer told you this and what is that dealer there for to sell campers or to tell the truth? If you start putting a LB camper on a SB truck in most cases the COG is now behind the rear axle anywhere from 12 to 18". Not the ideal location. Look at any truck and they well show the COG should be no more than about 4" behind the center of the rear axle.

This IMO
Butch

I try to always leave doubt to my ignorance rather than prove it

2021 Winnebago View

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Powelligator wrote:
At the last two or three RV shows I've been at, whenever truck campers are on display it's been rare to see campers meant for long bed trucks.

First, it's rare to see TCs at RV shows. ๐Ÿ™‚ In this area, I rarely see a camper for a short bed on the road. Sure, there are some. The fact remains that there are multiple lengths and many more floor plans for each manufacturer for long beds. Many models made for shortbeds also have a corresponding longbed model floor plan with the usual difference being a generator or not.

Just perusing the websites of the following manufacturers ... for model variations. Non-scientific, take the numbers for what they are worth to you, but clearly there are more choices if you have a long bed.

Arctic Fox

SB - 1
LB - 7 with the 811 used to be available in long as well.

Host

SB - 2
LB - 5

Chalet

LB - 3

Northern Lite (pretty complicated, but here's my guess)

SB - 4
LB - 6

Eagle Cap

SB - 1
LB - 4

Adventurer (all but one of their models are available for LB as well)

SB - 5
LB - 8

Lance

SB - 4
LB - 8

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Bedlam
I like my extended cab short bed, but my next truck will have a long bed so I have greater TC choices and a larger fuel tank. The truck will be a Class 4 or 5 and used strictly for recreation. Size will be less of an issue, but I still want the shortest chassis with an extended or crew cab in front of that long bed.

When we went from towing a toy hauler to hauling a TC, I was not ready to replace my truck. 2015 or 2016 models will be of interest to me if the manufacturers can keep reliability and ownership cost controlled. The short bed variation of my Arctic Fox 811 will fit on a 8' flat bed even with the storage in the rear skirts, but I may need to clearance the genset exhaust or reroute it.