cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to handle a tricky driveway

NewportNewsTT
Explorer
Explorer
We have a U-shaped driveway with the part by the house about 8' below street level. When we bring our 35' travel trailer down the hill (load leveling arms detached), the hitch and the trailer attachments for the Reese hitch want to drag the driveway as we pass over an abrupt change in grade from about 6 degrees down to level. I am looking for suggestions how to solve this problem that don't involve putting planks under the rear tires of the tow vehicle. Note that the planks are not too bad a solution for getting down the driveway, but the only way to get out of the driveway is to back up, in which case planks will be a pain.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
8 REPLIES 8

tchil
Explorer
Explorer
Not cheap but add airbags with a compressor to the truck. Some of them have several presets. Just hit the button and increase the pressure. You could probably get around 2-4 inches of extra clearance. Then when your done hit the other preset and it will go back to normal.
Ty
2018 Ram Cummins Mega
2007 Ragen Blackhawk 36-05

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Guys, the shank and trailer tongue are low because:

NewportNewsTT wrote:
(load leveling arms detached)

Keep the WD bars should raise those by at least 2".
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

CaptPicky
Explorer
Explorer
I wonder if you could put some strong wheels attached to your tongue jack that you could set at the right lever to support the trailer as it goes over the grade change. You would have to be careful that you didn't bend the tongue jack because it would be supporting a lot of weight. Maybe add one on each side of your A-frame would be better.
Retired Firefighter, Inspector, Investigator
2006 Cedar Creek Silverback 5th wheel
2002 F-350 Crew Cab DRW 7.3 Powerstroke
3 kids
2 dogs
1 wife

avoidcrowds
Explorer
Explorer
"go with a simple draw bar"

x2

Seems like you could even raise the bar above the receiver, if the tail of the trailer wouldn't drag. Get a drawbar with a drop, and turn it over. This should clear 6" or so of what the WDH hangs down to.
2017.5 Lance 1995
2017 F150 EcoBoost, Max Tow
Most camping off-road

GaryWT
Explorer
Explorer
We had a low trailer that we had to put boards out to get the trailer from street to drive and driveway to street. We had outlines painted so we knew were to put the boards. Had to hit the 2X10 straight on to get in and out. A real pain, especially on a hot Sunday afternoon. Looked into a new driveway, $5,000 without a guarantee that it would work. Tried with, without wd, tried a straight ball to switch in the street. Nothing worked. After 2 years, traded it in for a higher trailer that now gets in and out with not issues. Without a good fix you will start to hate it.

So the trailer is fine but the hitch will drag. With your bars on the hitch should be higher. Maybe air shocks that will raise the TV enough to get in. Good luck.
ME '63, DW 64, (DS 89 tents on his own, DD 92 not so much), DS 95
2013 Premier Bullet 31 BHPR 2014 F350 Crew Cab 6.2L 3.73

TNRIVERSIDE
Explorer
Explorer
It may be too much work but could you remove all the WDH and go with a simple draw bar? Just to get in and out of the driveway.
2014 Coleman CTS192RD. 2009 F150 4X4, 5.4, 3.31
Jeff

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
We have a severe angle point in our driveway and my DW will put down the constructed plank type forms each time I drive either in or out. No other way around the issue for us. Just part of the routine.

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Why remove the WDH bars?
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)