cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to remove a "pull-over" couch from '96 Lance 990?

Sheanhoxie
Explorer
Explorer
I've been struggling with removing the couch from my camper for re-upholstery, and I'm hoping someone here knows how.

It's from my '96 Lance 990. In the owners manual, the bed is described as a "pull-over". The top of the couch was easy enough to remove, but the bottom is a mystery. I've gone around it, outside & under the camper, and tried to pry it every which way, but it remains. There are no obvious bolts, screws, etc. It's like an escape room, but a couch.

Thanks in advance,

9 REPLIES 9

notsobigjoe
Nomad III
Nomad III
As some one who has removed his generator from the housing I would tell you this, If you really, really need to have that bolt intact go ahead and do it. If you don't really need that bolt or you can drill out another one I would leave the generator alone and cut the bolt. It is one heck of a job taking that Generator out and reinstalling it.

Sheanhoxie
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, I've managed to find the 2 bolts holding the side nearest the cabover, they were to my astonishment, easily accessible and right in front of my eyes on the underbelly of the camper :S

Thanks opnspaces, I removed the fire extinguisher I found a single bolt protruding from the dark! Now a single bolt remains above the generator housing, but below the couch bed frame.

I was trying to leave the upholstery in as good a condition as possible (unsure if that helps upholsterer or not), but ended up cutting through a portion of it to see if I could unbolt from the top of the frame, however the bolt is welded in and looks like I'll either need to remove the generator housing to get to it, or cut the bolt off at the frame and figure out another way to reattach it once finished.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
On a 26 year old camper? The service managers at most dealers aren't 26 years old these days.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Twice I've used my area (3) dealers service mgr for 'how to remove questions'. I'm sure a large dealer near you has to deal with those type removals time to time.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II
Try removing the fire extinguisher and then the bracket that it's mounted to. Look inside with a flashlight and maybe you'll see something.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Maybe it just pulls forward? Jack up the front to see underneath, etc.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Sheanhoxie
Explorer
Explorer
The access door goes outside, and no obvious exposed bolts on the underside 😞 Looks like I may be cutting it out and then figuring out a separate way to bolt it back on, after re-upholstery.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Not helpful to getting your couch out, but the pull-over refers to the fact that the back pulls over the bottom to convert it into a bed.

If that access door goes to the outside, then the couch was installed before the outer filon or whatever. The screws are buried.

UNLESS you flip that bracket up, and there are screws underneath.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

mleekamp
Explorer
Explorer
I'd venture to say that access door, probably for storage under the bench, will give you access to screws of some kind. Try that.