cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to see behind me?

jpochard
Explorer
Explorer
New TT owner. I've had it out 3 times and learn something new each time for sure.

My biggest concern at the moment is actually seeing what is behind me while on the road. I'm good at using side mirrors, but the typical truck mirrors don't get behind the trailer. Do I need to get the mirror extensions? They seem so far "out there" width wise that they look like they would have their own zipcode. Is there a camera I can put, say in the back trailer window, that would allow me to view in the truck cab while I'm driving? I'm honestly not too concerned with seeing while backing up. I'm trying to be a considerate road neighbor and if there are cars behind me - pariticularly on state roads etc., I will pull off and let them go past. Thanks for any help!
32 REPLIES 32

fcooper
Explorer
Explorer
jpochard wrote:
All good points. I really like to know what's going on around me as I drive. I would much rather avoid a situation than figure out a way to deal with it and I don't really care who is right or wrong in the scenario. I will be traveling solo and as a 56 year old woman, anything that be extra eyes or ears for me will add to my security.

So, if I go with a camera, any recommendation? My TV is a Ford F-150 extended cab. I'm towing a Coleman 19 ft. TT. back window in the trailer.

Will you be installing yourself, or having someone else install it? If you're having someone else install, try to find a local shop that will sell you the camera/monitor with installation.

If doing it yourself, you can save a lot by shopping on ebay. I have no experience with wireless systems, but with only a 19 ft trailer, a wireless system might work well. I've only installed wired systems. Since I've never used a wireless system, I can't say which is better. The wireless would be easier to install, but you'll still need 12 volts to power the camera (connect to clearance light and run with the lights turned on is the easy method).

If you do the wired system, be sure the camera to monitor connection between the trailer and the tow vehicle is weatherproof. Some of the kits are not weatherproof.

I think you'll get better results with the camera mounted high on the back of the trailer on the outside instead of through the window.

Fred
Fred & Vicki
St. Augustine, Florida

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Terryallan wrote:
LAJMINNIEPLUS wrote:
"Cops really hate to have to swerve out of their lane to be seen. It would be nice to be able to see emergency vehicles behind you, and even drunks too."
Very true. I cannot believe how many are saying that they don't care what is behind them. You are required to pull over and give way for emergency vehicles. And most states have requirements for rear view visibility behind towed trailers.

Emergency vehicles have really really loud noise makers. You will know if one of them is behind you, and you will know a long time before they catch up, and get right behind you. so that is a nonissue. As for drunks. Why would I care, and what could I do about it? Nothing of course. Can't really tell if they are drunk or not from the mirrors.

As for rear view. You are required to have mirrors that let you see down the side of the trailer. You are NOT required to be able to see the rear of the trailer, or what is close / directly behind you. Do you really think truck drivers can see a car tailgating them? No they cannot. and they don't care. Not going to bother them. It is the following vehicles job to NOT run into the back of a 12' high wall in front of them.

So no. I don't care what is behind me. But I do care what is coming up beside me, and I can see them.

X2
I see the rear cameras more as a distraction. I do not need to see what is immediately behind the trailer. I have a rear camera and seldom/never use it simply because I don't need it.
If you let a emergency vehicle with lights and sirens going get directly behind you without you noticing. You are simply and unaware driver and you need more than a camera to save you.
If cameras were truly useful they would be mandatory on all 18 wheelers.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
RSD559 wrote:
If you wait until you can hear an emergency vehicle's siren over your Bobby Sherman's Greatest Hits CD, you've already slowed them down. And, if you can't see them, you may not know which way to go to get out of their way. Sometimes pulling off to the right clogs their path. Just saying, more information is better.

Guess you need tp pay better attention to your driving, and maybe turn down your tunes. I can hear a EM long before I can see it. Even if it is coming at me.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

RSD559
Explorer
Explorer
If you wait until you can hear an emergency vehicle's siren over your Bobby Sherman's Greatest Hits CD, you've already slowed them down. And, if you can't see them, you may not know which way to go to get out of their way. Sometimes pulling off to the right clogs their path. Just saying, more information is better.
2020 Torque T314 Toy Hauler Travel Trailer- 38' tip to tip.
2015 F-350 6.7L Diesel, SRW.
2021 Can Am Defender 6 seater. Barely fits in the toy hauler!

jpochard
Explorer
Explorer
All good points. I really like to know what's going on around me as I drive. I would much rather avoid a situation than figure out a way to deal with it and I don't really care who is right or wrong in the scenario. I will be traveling solo and as a 56 year old woman, anything that be extra eyes or ears for me will add to my security.

So, if I go with a camera, any recommendation? My TV is a Ford F-150 extended cab. I'm towing a Coleman 19 ft. TT. back window in the trailer.

RideSlow
Explorer
Explorer
jpochard wrote:
I'm trying to be a considerate road neighbor and if there are cars behind me - pariticularly on state roads etc., I will pull off and let them go past. Thanks for any help!

Excellent attitude, courtesy goes a long way. Plus minimizes unsafe passes from drivers in a hurry.
2007 Dodge Ram QC 4x4 6.7 CTD 3500 SRW
2014 Stealth AK2612 TH
2004 HD Ultra Classic

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
LAJMINNIEPLUS wrote:
"Cops really hate to have to swerve out of their lane to be seen. It would be nice to be able to see emergency vehicles behind you, and even drunks too."
Very true. I cannot believe how many are saying that they don't care what is behind them. You are required to pull over and give way for emergency vehicles. And most states have requirements for rear view visibility behind towed trailers.

Emergency vehicles have really really loud noise makers. You will know if one of them is behind you, and you will know a long time before they catch up, and get right behind you. so that is a nonissue. As for drunks. Why would I care, and what could I do about it? Nothing of course. Can't really tell if they are drunk or not from the mirrors.

As for rear view. You are required to have mirrors that let you see down the side of the trailer. You are NOT required to be able to see the rear of the trailer, or what is close / directly behind you. Do you really think truck drivers can see a car tailgating them? No they cannot. and they don't care. Not going to bother them. It is the following vehicles job to NOT run into the back of a 12' high wall in front of them.

So no. I don't care what is behind me. But I do care what is coming up beside me, and I can see them.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

RSD559
Explorer
Explorer
Some places, there are no or very few turns in the road, like most of Nevada.
2020 Torque T314 Toy Hauler Travel Trailer- 38' tip to tip.
2015 F-350 6.7L Diesel, SRW.
2021 Can Am Defender 6 seater. Barely fits in the toy hauler!

boosTT
Explorer
Explorer
Like everyone else said- you will get the feel for it. Use the turns in the roads, etc.

Steve_B_
Explorer
Explorer
You mention that your trailer has a rear window. Not sure if you have a front one, or how long your trailer is. I can see through my trailer while towing so I can see what is behind me. I clip the curtains open so they do not close with the movement of the trailer. My little trailer is also narrower than most so I don't need mirror extensions for the sides. I know this won't work for most trailers but I thought I'd chime in just in case it helps.
2000 Twister by Fifties Trailers,
2017 Honda Ridgeline
2003 Miniature Schnauzer, Meyer

j_p_f_
Explorer
Explorer
curves in the road are the best way to see what's behind you, that's what they make them for.

Tvov
Explorer II
Explorer II
lol, with experience driving fire engines, I can tell you all the mirrors in the world are worthless if people don't get off their cell phones (hands free does not matter) and look in the mirrors!

LAJMINNIEPLUS
Explorer
Explorer

Bols2DawaLL
Explorer
Explorer
jpochard wrote:
Bols2DawaLL wrote:
or bungee the wife down on the rear bumper with a walkie talkie .
Play by play ๐Ÿ™‚

I AM the wife lol!

oopsy ๐Ÿ™‚