cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How will new shocks and struts affect my TV while towing?

far733
Explorer
Explorer
I had to replace the front shocks and struts on my TV. This caused the front end of my TV to rise about 1 1/2 inches higher than what it was before. (This rise is w/o my TT connected to my TV.) Before the shocks and struts were replaced, I was only getting a half inch rise in the front end of my TV with the TT connected to my TV with a WDH.

Will the new shocks and struts affect my WDH set up at all? Or do you think that, with the newer shocks and struts, the front end of my truck will not rise as much as it did with the older shocks and struts because the newer shocks and struts will be stiffer/tighter causing them to not rise as much as the older ones did?
9 REPLIES 9

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
far733 wrote:
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
When you say struts, did you replace the whole strut assembly?

IOW's did you replace the spring at the same time? Or did you just replace the strut cartridge and use the old spring?

As stated above, the shock part of the strut holds no weight. That is the springs job.

Yes, it was the whole assembly....springs and all.

Well that leaves the question of did they give you the wrong strut assembly? Is there different types for different truck combo's?

I can tell you this. 1.5" can cause a big difference in geometry changes depending. I would try to get to the bottom of this.

Good luck and let us know what you found out.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

far733
Explorer
Explorer
Turtle n Peeps wrote:

IOW's did you replace the spring at the same time? Or did you just replace the strut cartridge and use the old spring?

As stated above, the shock part of the strut holds no weight. That is the springs job.

Yes, it was the whole assembly....springs and all.

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Shocks and struts dampen, but do not support any static weight. So WDH should not be affected.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer

~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

Sport45
Explorer
Explorer
I still don't understand how a strut can change ride height. Can you provide some more info? Ram 1500, Year model, 4x2 or 4x4, engine, trim, etc. I looked up a '05 model 4x2 and only saw front shocks, no strut.

The gas charge in a new shock might lift the front a little, but I'd be surprised if it was more than half an inch. And I wouldn't worry about it changing settings on your WD setup.
โ€™19 F350 SRW CCLB PSD Fx4
'00 F250, CC SWB 4x2, V-10 3.73LS. (sold)
'83 F100 SWB 4x2, 302 AOD 3.55. (parked)
'05 GMC Envoy 4x2 4.2 3.73L.
'12 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
'15 Cherokee Trailhawk

far733
Explorer
Explorer
My TV is a Dodge Ram 1500. They are not overloads. They are Monroe's quick strut assembly. My old struts were offset causing them to rub against the upper mount. That is why they needed to be replaced. I'm assuming the front end sits higher now because the struts are no longer offset in the assembly.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
far733 wrote:
I had to replace the front shocks and struts on my TV. This caused the front end of my TV to rise about 1 1/2 inches higher than what it was before. (This rise is w/o my TT connected to my TV.) Before the shocks and struts were replaced, I was only getting a half inch rise in the front end of my TV with the TT connected to my TV with a WDH.

Will the new shocks and struts affect my WDH set up at all? Or do you think that, with the newer shocks and struts, the front end of my truck will not rise as much as it did with the older shocks and struts because the newer shocks and struts will be stiffer/tighter causing them to not rise as much as the older ones did?

Well number 1 I would never just replace a pair of shocks, it is all four or nothing. I would be really worried doing the front and not the rears on a TV. Shocks should not change the ride height unless overloads.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
I dont think a auto has shock and struts. Its either one or the other.

And no way new shocks or struts will raise the vehicle 1 1/2 from what I know...

Somethings wrong or your not giving correct information.

Before the shocks and struts were replaced, I was only getting a half inch rise in the front end of my TV with the TT connected to my TV with a WDH. wrote:

Also then your WD system may not be set correctly...

What the make and model of TV?
Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms
2018 coachmen Catalina sbx 261bh

Sport45
Explorer
Explorer
What is your tow vehicle? I've never installed a shock or strut cartridge that changed the ride height. Do your shocks have some kind of overload springs wrapped around them?
โ€™19 F350 SRW CCLB PSD Fx4
'00 F250, CC SWB 4x2, V-10 3.73LS. (sold)
'83 F100 SWB 4x2, 302 AOD 3.55. (parked)
'05 GMC Envoy 4x2 4.2 3.73L.
'12 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
'15 Cherokee Trailhawk