cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Howdy from TX Hill Country

wiredgeorge
Explorer
Explorer
Nic is wiredgeorge and my real name is George. I just bought a truck camper and am really stoked! Camped one night at a MISERABLE RV camp in Rockdale and that served to answer 90 percent of my questions. Never had any sort of RV or truck camper before.

I was a little hesitant to post as folks get scolded when they don't (or can't) afford a 3/4 or 1 ton truck. My truck is standard 2013 F150. I bought a 2002 Lance 815 Lite. I know the truck isn't ideal but did about 700 miles this weekend with the camper and my little pickup pulls it fine. The camper is close to the payload weight but I put some True Lift air bags on and jacked tire pressure up to 42 PSI. I plan on getting some stouter tires in the future as funds permit. In the future, I would like to pick up an older F350 but they go for big bucks in my neck of the woods and most have 300K miles and I don't want to wrench on a truck. Perhaps I will win the lottery and be able to afford more truck.

In any case, I will be married to my young missus 45 years come this weekend (Valentines Day to be exact). We can't do a camping trip as I am waiting for a few odd bits to come in to make camping more fun. I ordered a TV mount for a 19" TV I have, some grab rails, a 3 step ladder (tough getting in and the RV steps tend to be out of my price range) and MOST IMPORTANT, a new mattress. Bought a decent mattress as the original was long gone and there was an air mattress in the camper when I bought it with a topper and it is not good, to say the least.

I have to figure out how to make a spot level enough to where I can get the camper off and set it. I own some acres but all are on the side of a hill; common story I guess. Anyway, I suppose I will have a lot of questions when I get smart enough to know what to ask. Thanks
and God bless!

Oh yeah, didn't see any way to put a signature together. Where is that done?
wiredgeorge Mico TX
2006 F350 2002 Keystone Cougar 278EFS
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith trike
22 REPLIES 22

bka0721
Explorer II
Explorer II
DownTheAvenue wrote:
I know little about truck campers, but.......I don't see any tie downs from the camper to the truck. Am I missing something? Also, that camper just looks like it is dwarfing that truck. It looks much too big!

First, welcome to the Forum, Wiredgeorge!!! Thanks for your courage to post this on the Truck Forum so others might learn from your post and experiences.

The truck appears to be tied to the bed via simple turnbuckles from the hardware store. These are notorious for breaking, when not grade hardened. Also, the TC is mounted to the Stake Holes in the top of the bed. The result to overstressing these points is expensive damage to the bed and outside skin of your truck, too. Not a real good solution.

Obviously there was a reason for not showing the entire photo. I am always suspicious when a person does not disclose the whole story and not providing this makes me feel this way. It appears the TC is a Long Bed TC on a Short Bed truck. Never a great solution, but is if reversed, Short Bed TC on a Long Bed Truck. Center of Gravity is important in many factors, braking, acceleration from traffic Signals and going up hills which is prevalent in many locations around the USA.

While you mention all the factors you are aware of but your reasoning is expense to you. So be it. Weighing the two parts will give you more accurate information than just scouring the internet, including here. Take your truck to the scale with the TC and then without it.

While you are not concerned I believe once you do upgrade your truck to a better prepared/capable truck you will be SHOCKED in how you impression will change.

Good luck with your new TC and thanks for coming here and sharing, but hope you will visit often here with questions and your own participation with helping us.

b
08 F550-4X4-CC-6.4L Dsl-206"WB GVWR17,950#
09 Lance 1191
1,560wSolar~10-6vGC2-1,160AmpH~Tri-Star-Two(2)60/MPPT~Xantrex 2000W
300wSolar~2-6vAGM-300AmpH~Tri-Star45/MPPT~Xantrex 1500W
16 BMW R1200GSW Adventure
16 KTM 500 EXC
06 Honda CRF450X
09 Haulmark Trlr

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
scout4trout wrote:
I don't know know if it's an optical illusion, but it looks like the camper is too long for the truck. !

don't think there is any illusion about it, that is a messed up situation. don't think it is a bed out under the end, it is the tailgate. reminds me of another thread recently about a tacoma PU.
bumpy

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
I know little about truck campers, but.......I don't see any tie downs from the camper to the truck. Am I missing something? Also, that camper just looks like it is dwarfing that truck. It looks much too big!

thedavidzoo
Explorer II
Explorer II
That rig makes me nervous looking at it. The tiedowns and their location/angle just seem...And the CG??
2014 Ram 3500 CrewCab Diesel DRW 4x4 4.10 Aisin, Torklift Fastguns, Upper Stableloads, Timbrens
2017 Northstar 12' STC
640W solar, 400Ah lithium LiFeMnPO4 batteries

wiredgeorge
Explorer
Explorer
The camper was designed for a 1/2 ton. The truck has just enough payload and tires are rated for the weight as long as we don't put much of a load. I know it would be bettter to have 3/4 ton or bigger; already admitted that. The load rating on the tires is adequate but I will buy higher load rated tires when funds permit. Camper fits perfectly, by the way. You can't see the bed out under the end.
wiredgeorge Mico TX
2006 F350 2002 Keystone Cougar 278EFS
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith trike

scout4trout
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know know if it's an optical illusion, but it looks like the camper is too long for the truck. Hopefully your center of gravity is at a minimum over your rear axle but preferably just a little in front of the rear axle. Otherwise, you're going to pulling the weight from the front axle which really isn't safe. And as previously mentioned, make sure you have tires that have enough capacity because they're the weakest link in your setup. But your wife looks real happy!
2017 Ford F250 XL STX SCSB 6.2 gas with camper package, Torklift Tiedowns & Fast Guns, Airbags, payload 3,436
2017 Northern Lite 8'11"Q Sportsman with preferred options

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
DRY weight is 1,667 pounds. What does Ford's sticker say your load capacity is on your F150? I like the real world where DRY weights don't matter. What will your wet weight be?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

jmckelvy
Explorer
Explorer
Hi George,

Welcome to the TC forum. You can set your signature by selecting the "My Forums" button in the upper right of the page. You may need to log in to your account if you haven't already. Then select "My Preferences". There is an area to enter your signature information.

Make sure you are not overloading your tires!!
06 RAM 3500,Dually,CTD,Auto(ATS Stage 1),QC,4X4,PacBrake,Spyntec Freespin Hubs,60 Gal Titan Tank,EFI Live, Line-X,Torklifts and SuperHitch,Fastguns
2013 Arctic Fox 990, 275 Watts Solar, 2 Grp 31 AGMs
US Navy 1964-1968, 2-Tour Vietnam Vet