cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hypothetical Question

martyn8677
Explorer
Explorer
I have an 08 Outfitter Apex 8, made for short bed trucks. I believe the dry weight is 1748 lbs, or in that neighborhood.

If I found myself in a situation that I needed to move this with a long bed one ton truck, is it doable? The camper would have no extra weight in it (water, propane, supplies, etc....). Would it make a difference if it were a one ton dually?

I realize it potentially put the COG behind the optimal placement, but since it is not 4,000 lbs, would it still effect the handling?

Thanks.
9 REPLIES 9

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
I think the "dually" was thrown in because he thought it might help if there was a weight issue and not necessarily because that's his set alternate hauler.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Putting a 4000lb camper in a truck with the CG 6" behind the axle takes no more weight off the front wheels of the truck than a 500lb trailer tongue at the back bumper, 48" behind the rear axle.

There isn't a one of us here that would have a problem hitching up a 500lb tongue trailer to any pickup truck, let alone a 1 ton dually.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

okan-star
Explorer
Explorer
An Outfitter will not clear a dually with just happijac swing outs , you need a few more inches each side , happijac makes a 2" spacer you can add to the swing out and then it will work. Or you can make some yourself

Jaxom
Explorer
Explorer
And said chain/turnbuckles might come in contact with the dually fenders.
Jerry
2015 Jayco Seneca 36FK
2011 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2 door
2011 R & R 20' Aluminum Enclosed Car Hauler
2007 Montrose 16' Aluminum Flatbed ATV Trailer

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
I would think that the front tie-downs would be a little ackward with the long reach. One would probably need to buy some longer chain and use standard turnbuckles.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

SugarHillCTD
Explorer
Explorer
Other than the jack problem, you would want a 1-1/2 foot spacer in front of the camper to keep it from sliding forward and possibly damaging the back of the truck or the back of the camper.

Something temporary like 2 or 3- 18" 2x10 laid lengthwise or something more permanent like what Bumpy suggested.
John & Cathy
'12 Chevy 2500HD CC 4x4 sb
'16 Cougar 25RKS w/ Andersen rail mount
'13 Eagle Cap 850 (sold). B4 that a few other TCs and a TT

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
some one did this and built a neat storage compartment that went at the front of the truck bed.
bumpy

martyn8677
Explorer
Explorer
kohldad wrote:
No problem at all moving a short bed camper in a long bed truck. The difference in bed length is in front of the wheels so the COG will be in the exact same spot in regards to the rear axle.

The only issue the dually will make is being able to open up the front jacks wide enough to clear the fenders. Have heard of people forgetting to swing out the front jacks and still clear the fenders but extremely close.

thanks for the reply. Forgot about the jacks not fitting on a dually. my camper does not have swing outs on it.

kohldad
Explorer III
Explorer III
No problem at all moving a short bed camper in a long bed truck. The difference in bed length is in front of the wheels so the COG will be in the exact same spot in regards to the rear axle.

The only issue the dually will make is being able to open up the front jacks wide enough to clear the fenders. Have heard of people forgetting to swing out the front jacks and still clear the fenders but extremely close.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)