Did you mean: 

I am so confused!!

wrvond
Explorer II
Explorer II
Greetings all,
We actually found the perfect camper!
The 2014 Coachmen Catalina 25RKS.
However, we have been looking online for a dealer that has what we want in stock at a price we can live with. In the course of this search I happened to notice that some websites show exterior photos and the camper is labeled "Coachmen Catalina Deluxe Edition" while others, with the same model number, are simply "Coachmen Catalina". A visit to the Coachmen RV website is unenlightening concerning the difference between the two. In fact, there is no mention of a deluxe edition anywhere on the website that I can find. When I compare the photos from the different dealers' websites, it appears the only difference is color/pattern on the outside and inside. The floor plans are identical and even the fixtures are the same.
I'm confused because I can't find anything anywhere that actually says there are two different versions of the same camper, but I'm seeing what appears to be two different versions.
I'm hoping somebody on here is able and willing to explain the difference to me and provide guidance as to how I can ensure I get what the boss wants (she prefers the pattern of the one called "Deluxe Edition").
Thanks in advance for your help!
2022 Keystone Cougar 24RDS
2023 Ram 6.7L Laramie Mega Cab
17 REPLIES 17

wrvond
Explorer II
Explorer II
wannavolunteerFT wrote:
I have a very similar floorplan, kitchen is situated slightly different and my wardrobe is not part of slide out. I love, love, love my floorplan. I choose the floorplan with the wardrobe not part of the slide, because there was a big difference in price (that one had several other extras too, wish I had but really didn't want to pay for). One thing that plan has that I really wished mine did, is a table at end of sofa. It is nice to have somewhere to sit a cup/glass while sitting on sofa watching tv.

do as suggested and spend a little time in it.. sit on the sofa like you are watching tv for 30 minutes or an hour. My jack knive sofa is not comfortable for sitting for an hour or two.. I end up piling up several pillows off the bed to lean on and sitting side ways.. It is more comfortable, since I have a small ottoman that I can prop my feet on when I am sitting. you will have to make the decision for yourself.

I looked at a 2008 Jayfeather rear living that I really liked a lot. Jayco has some very interesting touches that I really like, such as the storage for the stinky slinky. They definitely feel like quality built units.
Once we get past the negotiation stage I'm planning on spending an entire afternoon "camping" in the trailer to be sure it's as comfortable as it looks.

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
I have a very similar floorplan, kitchen is situated slightly different and my wardrobe is not part of slide out. I love, love, love my floorplan. I choose the floorplan with the wardrobe not part of the slide, because there was a big difference in price (that one had several other extras too, wish I had but really didn't want to pay for). One thing that plan has that I really wished mine did, is a table at end of sofa. It is nice to have somewhere to sit a cup/glass while sitting on sofa watching tv.

do as suggested and spend a little time in it.. sit on the sofa like you are watching tv for 30 minutes or an hour. My jack knive sofa is not comfortable for sitting for an hour or two.. I end up piling up several pillows off the bed to lean on and sitting side ways.. It is more comfortable, since I have a small ottoman that I can prop my feet on when I am sitting. you will have to make the decision for yourself.
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS

wrvond
Explorer II
Explorer II
Go Dogs wrote:

That's a good price. The differences that I can see with my 2012 non-deluxe model is: the electric tongue jack, the front cap on mine is the same material as the rest of TT, not the fiberglass. I have a manual awning. The cabinet in picture #14 is really, roomy- It's a life-saver. One thing I just found out is the hot water tank is gas only-if that is a concern. Good luck and keep us posted!
2012 model
This is my model.

Thanks folks, it's good to get such encouragement and advice from people that have already been there, done that, and got the T-shirt. 😉

It's funny that you should post a video from Colerain RV. I thought I had found the perfect RV before, but now I've found the perfect, perfect RV at Colerain!
253RKS

I really like the dark colored stuff on the outside and the leather sofa inside. I've sent them an offer, so we'll see how it goes (fingers crossed).
Go Dogs, I believe the propane/electric/DSI water heater is standard now, but I'll be sure to check on that, thanks!

On another note, I found the standard A/C is 13.5K BTUs with an optional 15K BTU unit. Does anybody have any experience getting an upgrade? About how much should I offer to pay for an upgrade? Is it a worthwhile upgrade?
Again, thoughts and experiences are very much appreciated.

Go_Dogs
Explorer
Explorer
wrvond wrote:
DutchmenSport wrote:
The first Google search I did landed on this page:

http://www.garickrv.com/Page.aspx/diid/7395189/list/InventoryList/pageId/20855/view/Details/2014-Coachmen-CATALINA-25RKS.aspx

I noticed the dealer description does not have the word "Delux" in it, but the photo of the trailer does.

Doing more Google searches on "2014 Coachmen Catalina 25RKS" produced similar results, but photos of the 2014 model all have the word "Delux" on them. Maybe you're searching against 2 different year models?

Here's the one I have been negotiating on up to this point:
2014 Catalina 25RKS
The sales rep says that the only difference between this particular unit and one that says Deluxe Edition (other than stickers) is the deluxe has #30 propane tanks and this one has #20 tanks.
For various reasons, I prefer the #20 tanks, but this only makes it more important to me to come up with a definitive list of things makes a Catalina "Deluxe".

That's a good price. The differences that I can see with my 2012 non-deluxe model is: the electric tongue jack, the front cap on mine is the same material as the rest of TT, not the fiberglass. I have a manual awning. The cabinet in picture #14 is really, roomy- It's a life-saver. One thing I just found out is the hot water tank is gas only-if that is a concern. Good luck and keep us posted!
2012 model
This is my model.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Price looks good on the one you linked to above. Delux or not, if this is the camper you're thinking of, "what's in a name anyway?" Nice camper ... nice price too!

Doug33
Explorer
Explorer
I know there are huge differences between the Keystone Bullet and Bullet Deluxe models. But even the Bullets between 2012 and 2014 models have completely different exterior color schemes.
2014 Keystone Bullet 281BHS
2002 Chevy Avalanche 5.3L 4x4
Equalizer hitch
Nights spent camping in 2015: 25
Next trip: mid-April 2016?

wrvond
Explorer II
Explorer II
DutchmenSport wrote:

http://www.garickrv.com/Page.aspx/diid/7395189/list/InventoryList/pageId/20855/view/Details/2014-Coachmen-CATALINA-25RKS.aspx

I noticed the dealer description does not have the word "Delux" in it, but the photo of the trailer does.

Doing more Google searches on "2014 Coachmen Catalina 25RKS" produced similar results, but photos of the 2014 model all have the word "Delux" on them. Maybe you're searching against 2 different year models?

Here's the one I have been negotiating on up to this point:
2014 Catalina 25RKS
The sales rep says that the only difference between this particular unit and one that says Deluxe Edition (other than stickers) is the deluxe has #30 propane tanks and this one has #20 tanks.
For various reasons, I prefer the #20 tanks, but this only makes it more important to me to come up with a definitive list of things makes a Catalina "Deluxe".

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree, it's a nice lay out.

schlep1967
Nomad
Nomad
Use the net to compare but use the phone to find out what they actually have in stock. Keeping up with websites when you have several salesmen moving units is tough. And many do not do a good job with it.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Another post, sorry, I can't help myself. I looked at your floorplan. We just purchased our 3rd camper and if you don't mind, I'd like to give you something to think about. Each camper we owned had something we didn't like .... after about a year .... It took that long to figure it out. The current camper (less than 2 weeks old for us now) is still new and will take time to figure out also. But one of the biggest factors we traded this time is because the couch and dinette were just so uncomfortable, we quite using them years ago. Primarily, everything was done on the bed. The floor plan had a front bed, kitchen and dinette in the middle and 2 bunks across the end. The bunks ended up being nothing but an extended closet with stuff piled high and even escaping into the aisle on the floor, which spilled over on to the couch and dinette. We don't have kids at home any more.

The television stand was in a very bad location, and could only be seen when sitting on the very uncomfortable couch (that was just a couch, as it had the water pump and furnace built in under it). We ended up mounting a television in the bedroom, on the wall, and used the rest of the camper very little. After a few years of this we realized we were really unhappy with the furniture in the camper and look for the one we have now, with a real couch and real rocker living room chairs and a real place to watch the television, and still have the bed-room .... now ... for sleeping!

So here's what I'm trying to say .... It's just something to think about, but don't go by "looks" alone. Actually spend some time in the camper you are planning to purchase. Spend a lot of time in it ... even it upset the dealer because you're spending too much of "his" time and he's just plum tired of fiddling around with you! Do it anyway. Spend an hour or two IN the camper. Lay on the bed, sit on the couch. Take a book, take your I-pad, surf the net, sit at the table, take a snack lunch and eat in the camper and see how it actually "feels" to us it. If your neck gets tired from sitting and you can't rest it ... you'll be uncomfortable camping too..

What I'm trying to say is, test it out first!

Good luck.

Sorry for the rant ... I just felt compelled before you plop money down.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer

wrvond
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks all.
Normally, I wouldn't be too surprised to see a base model and an upgrade model of anything, but usually the manufacturer or at dealer, makes it clear what the differences are. In this case, the manufacturer provides information on the upgrade model only. As far as they are concerned, the regular model doesn't appear to exist, making it difficult to determine what the differences are. The dealer descriptions don't offer any insight either, as no dealer I have found carries both.
Go Dogs, very, very useful and much appreciated insight. I really like the floor plan more than any other for precisely the reasons you pointed out. I also really like the exterior access to the bathroom. For such a small camper, it really has a huge amount of room.

Go_Dogs
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW: We have the 2012 Catalina 25RKS. It is not the deluxe edition, in that it has the regular white front end, no electric tongue jack. I don't really know what else the deluxe package will get you. It is a very nice floor plan, as you can access the kitchen/bathroom with the slide in. The bathroom is very roomy, and you get lots of counter space in the kitchen.
On our PDI, the kitchen drawers were flimsy, the CD/DVD player needed replaced, microwave door latch was broken. On our first trip, the frame on the bed cracked. DH fixed that himself, as the wood they used was suitable for firewood, only.
Check all that on your PDI. After all that got fixed, it's a great trailer. I have covered the sofa/dinette seats. It's easy to clean.
Good luck on your search. I also have a feeling the dealers may have older models on their lots, and that may be the 'deluxe' differences. Negotiate for a good price on those!

rjf7g
Explorer
Explorer
In the Gulf Stream world, the Supreme package just means more things are included - like a Camry XLE vs a Camry XL. I wouldn't assume it means it's a destination trailer and has no holding tanks - it may just be upgraded trim!

Call a few dealers you are planning on working with. If they can't give you a satisfactory answer, you don't want to deal with them!
1999 American Cruiser Class B
2006 Palomino Puma 27FQ Bunkhouse
2007 Gulfstream Innsbruck 36FRS Park Trailer