cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I built shelves in a wardrobe for more storage.

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
We have two decent sized wardrobe closets in the truck camper. We use one for shirts, coats, hanging items. The other next to the stove has become a junk drawer where we just pile everything in it. Things would get forgotten in there. Out of sight, out of mind.
I went to the Orange Box store and purchased some 1x12 premium pine and a couple 1x2 premium pine to make the new shelves. Tools required were a table saw, chop saw, and jig saw. Our S&S camper has a spice rack next to the stove built into the cabinet. That made the decision for where to place the two shelve boards, 1 above, 1 below the spice rack. I had to cut a tapered fit on one side of the board and got a nice fit. I used the 1x2 boards to make corned supports and also a raised face for the shelves to block things from sliding outward on the shelf.
Now instead of an unsightly messy pile stuffed into the cabinet, we have 3 orderly shelves. Bottom shelf for foil, cellophane, parchment, Ziplok, etc... Middle for paper towels, toilet paper, cleaners, etc... Top shelf for Bath towels, toiletries.

VIDEO of project if interested.

Found this Before
26 REPLIES 26

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
jaycocreek wrote:
We have two decent sized wardrobe closets in the truck camper. We use one for shirts, coats, hanging items. The other next to the stove has become a junk drawer where we just pile everything in it. Things would get forgotten in there. Out of sight, out of mind

Ours also has two but the one next to the stove was already shelved which we use for canned food etc..

Nice job.

We have the slide out pantry next to the shelves. It is safe to assume overflow food items during extended outings will find their way onto these shelves too. The shelves are 26 inches deep which makes for good storage volume.

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
jaycocreek wrote:
We have two decent sized wardrobe closets in the truck camper. We use one for shirts, coats, hanging items. The other next to the stove has become a junk drawer where we just pile everything in it. Things would get forgotten in there. Out of sight, out of mind

Ours also has two but the one next to the stove was already shelved which we use for canned food etc..

Nice job.

We have the slide out pantry next to the shelves. It is safe to assume overflow food items during extended outings will find their way onto these shelves too. The shelves are 26 inches deep which makes for good storage volume.

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
MitchF150 wrote:
Nice. I just watched your Youtube vid on it. Great job in a TC size wardrobe!

Just so other can see too, here are some things I did to my old Prowler TT to help with storage space.

Have done similar things in the new Rockwood, but need to take some new pics of them...

Thanks for the vid.

Mitch

Space is at such a premium in a TC. You must be pretty spoiled with all that spare luxury space in your TT. Good solutions.

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer

Nice job.
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Nice. I just watched your Youtube vid on it. Great job in a TC size wardrobe!

Just so other can see too, here are some things I did to my old Prowler TT to help with storage space.

Have done similar things in the new Rockwood, but need to take some new pics of them...

Thanks for the vid.

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
Kayteg1 wrote:
You don't have the wife, do you?

Yes, I do! She loves the shelving. That area was really her stash and now she can organize better. It will be used for largely the same items but now there are three levels and we can easily see and get to what we need.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
You don't have the wife, do you?

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
Kayteg1 wrote:
I would get killed for such project.

That seems a little harsh. If that is the consequence, don't chance it.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
I would get killed for such project.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Great work!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
jimh425 wrote:
Looks good.

I added shelves to the back of the closet that were moveable. They tend to fall down. This gives me an idea to make them permanently mounted which will keep them from moving.

My other shelves that fill the entire space have been great.

I tried wire racks for a while but didn't like them sliding around and stuff falling through them. These shelves are a tight fit and are only attached to the existing cabinet in about 6 spots and can easily be removed. A couple of the screws were a trick to reach deep in the cabinet behind the spice rack. Finally got the screws down though.

Next thing to do is install a Wilson over the road cell phone signal booster. Going to be camped in a spot with poor signal for a month soon.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Looks good.

I added shelves to the back of the closet that were moveable. They tend to fall down. This gives me an idea to make them permanently mounted which will keep them from moving.

My other shelves that fill the entire space have been great.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member