cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I finally did it!

LeBout
Explorer
Explorer
For a couple years now I've been toying with the idea of installing a 30 amp socket on the outside wall of my garage for the RV which we're lucky enough to park on our own property. Well, today the deed is done! :C

2020 Heartland Wilderness 2500RL
2013 Ford F-150 3.5L Eccoboost Supercrew 4x4, Max tow package
2 Honda 2000 watt Generators
Eastern Oregon, USA

Our Trailer
Our Floorplan
Days camped so far in 2020: 0
22 REPLIES 22

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Uma & Papa wrote:
Sweet.......would love to have that at our house. Sure would be nice to come back from a camping trip, esp it being summer gets very hot and muggy here, plug her in.... turn on the air and do my cleaning. Would make it so much easier, maybe one day I can talk the DH into getting one.
Enjoy
This is exactly what we use ours for. Plus, my 4 year old loves camping so while we are staging or returning, sometimes we watch a movie and spend the night in the driveway.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

wrvond
Explorer II
Explorer II
LeBout wrote:
For a couple years now I've been toying with the idea of installing a 30 amp socket on the outside wall of my garage for the RV which we're lucky enough to park on our own property. Well, today the deed is done! :C

I've had the parts to do the same for over a year. Considering you did such a professional job, perhaps you'd stop by and install mine too! :B
2022 Keystone Cougar 24RDS
2023 Ram 6.7L Laramie Mega Cab

JKQ
Explorer
Explorer
modern family wrote:
brulaz wrote:
Do you use it (and the A/C) as a guest bedroom, or ... ?

Just trying to figure out why you need 30amps at home?

I installed mine because when we are getting ready for a trip (living in Florida) we always have the a/c on while packing. A necessity for me at least. Even when plugged in for a little bit, it would tip the circuit. Now we can pack/unpack in comfort.

I installed one for the same reason, packing & unpacking in the Florida heat is not fun. Now I just plug it in before a trip, turn on the refrigerator and air conditioning, give it an hour & ready to pack (or unpack).
2013 CruiserRv Enterra 314 RES TT, 36ft, 3 slides
2013 Ford F250 Crew Cab Power Stroke Diesel 4x4
Reese WD hitch with dual friction control bars
Dometic 3000 KW portable genset

benbovac
Explorer
Explorer
I added a 50 amp plug in my rv garage, just find it easier to plug in and use anything that may be needed. We have a a few campout nights in the garage before, but didn't need to run the a-c on those times.
BenBovAC
2020 GMC 3500 Denali SRW
2019 Jayco NothPoint :

๐Ÿ˜›

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
For 30A you need 10ga copper.

I cheaped out - put a dedicated 20A GFI circuit in just for the camper. It'll run the AC but not much else (but that's all I wanted.)

Two sewer hoses gets me to the cleanout in the front yard.

I put a water faucet in the garage a few years ago so DW didn't have to walk in her flower bed for a hose. It works well for the camper too.

When dad and DB built their new shop they added a RV sewer dump on the side of the building. Nice!
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

bradnailer
Explorer
Explorer
LeBout wrote:
bradnailer wrote:
I also piped in a sewer drain into my main sewer line.

The only thing I'm missing is a sewer connection. We built this house about 6 years ago and if I had been thinking I would have requested the sewer clean out pipe on the South side of the house. Currently it's on the West side.

Was yours near your RV parking area or did you pipe it a ways?

I only had to pipe about 15'. The main sewer line was PVC so tying in was easy.
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 233RBS
Prior: Jayco Pop Up, Shasta Bunkhouse, Rockwood Pop Up

Dennis_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
Had our 30 Amp put in when we upgraded the fuse panel to 200 amp. Now its a nice spare bedroom when we have guest.

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
LeBout wrote:
bradnailer wrote:

The only thing I'm missing is a sewer connection. We built this house about 6 years ago and if I had been thinking I would have requested the sewer clean out pipe on the South side of the house. Currently it's on the West side.

LeBout, I just had a septic guy out at my my house emptying the tank. I asked about using the cleanout to dump. He said it's ok for every once in a while, but you don't want to do it weekly. Before he realized I was thinking of putting a parking pad near it and using a couple hoses, hte thought I was going to do it from where the motorhome sits in the front driveway. He recommended me diggint down bewteen the clean out and the septic and install a Y or T adapter there and then a 4" to 3" reducer. Then to run the pipe up the side of the yard to a place near the motorhome and then bring it back up to 4" there and put a cap on it, like at RV parks. He said you don't have to bury the pipe very deep either.

Not sure how long of a distance for you, but it might be something you can do.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

LeBout
Explorer
Explorer
Weldon wrote:
Looks very good, what size wire did you use and how far did you have to run the wire?

My breaker box was just on the other side of the wall so we ran very little wire to the outside. Literally drilled through a pop out hole in the breaker box. Wire was standard electrical grade.
Eastern Oregon, USA

Our Trailer
Our Floorplan

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
We have a 30amp outlet in our driveway. We use it as a getaway when we can't get out, a guest room, and a hookup for rv visitors.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

Weldon
Explorer
Explorer
Looks very good, what size wire did you use and how far did you have to run the wire?

LeBout
Explorer
Explorer
bradnailer wrote:

Eastern Oregon, USA

Our Trailer
Our Floorplan

LeBout
Explorer
Explorer
brulaz wrote:
Do you use it (and the A/C) as a guest bedroom, or ... ? Just trying to figure out why you need 30amps at home?

As some of the others have said, I wanted it for when we're getting ready for a trip and want to run the A/C, and we DO want to use it for a guest bedroom...but just for family. We have 3 married kids.
Eastern Oregon, USA

Our Trailer
Our Floorplan

modern_family
Explorer
Explorer
brulaz wrote:
Do you use it (and the A/C) as a guest bedroom, or ... ?

Just trying to figure out why you need 30amps at home?

I installed mine because when we are getting ready for a trip (living in Florida) we always have the a/c on while packing. A necessity for me at least. Even when plugged in for a little bit, it would tip the circuit. Now we can pack/unpack in comfort.
2017.. Prime Time Avenger. 32QBI

His.. 2011 F-350, King Ranch, 6.2L. Crew Cab, 4x4, 8' bed, SRW, 11,000 GVWR

Hers..2008 Ford Expedition, King Ranch Heavy Duty Tow, 3.73 gears

Sold.. 2005 Star craft, Travel Star 18SB

Sold.. 2013 Keystone Laredo, 291