cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm looking for some TT advice from experienced RVers

Snomas
Explorer
Explorer
My DW and I sold our 40"DP after 15 years of wonderful use and are now considering to downsize to a small TT for short weekend trips.

Our requirements are:
20-24 ft range
4000-7000 GVWR,
2 axels,
Murphy bed or walk around
1 slide
New unit or not more than a 2017.

Can you give me some suggestion of what I should look for.

I will tow w/ my 2018 F150, 2RWD, 5.0L, crew cab.
2006 WINNEBAGO ASPECT 29H Ford E450 Super Duty
2018 F150 Lariat Crew Cab, Coyote 5.0 L RWD
33 REPLIES 33

Tin-bender
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like you need to take a look at the Forest River "Rockwood Mini-Lite 2507 it has a lot of what you said your looking for.
Tinbender

Addy15
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B wrote:
Winnebago Minnie.
But seriously how any weekend trips are you really going to make? Is owning a small TT really worth the $$ and effort OR could you rent a camper for those 2 or 3 outings? Or just rent a cabin in a campground?

We made 12 trips in each of the last two camping seasons.

Addy15
Explorer
Explorer
We had a Starcraft Launch 21FBS. It's now called the Starcraft Outfitter, but I think the floorplan (21FBS) is the same. Ours was a 2015, before Jayco/Starcraft was bought by Thor, so I don't know if the quality of manufacturing has changed or not since then. We had very few problems with the trailer, and the problems we did have weren't to do with the manufacturing, but rather a couple of the components. And we had no problem getting those issues resolved. It was similar to the Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS also mentioned here. I think the Coachmen might get a few extra points for the amount and type of interior storage it has. 🙂 We were very happy with the Starcraft -- just decided to go to a 5th wheel instead so we could pull our boat behind the trailer. Our 5th wheel is Winnebago and we are quite happy with it, so I would also suggest you look at the Minnie Winnie line of travel trailers. Grand Design also.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
rexlion wrote:
I respectfully disagree. The Sonics have a totally inadequate CCC of 800 lbs or less, which makes their decent size holding tanks all but useless.

Which is one of the great features of the aforementioned Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS - CCC in excess of a ton. We never could load so much "stuff" into our own 192RBS that it's GVW loaded & ready to camp (typically 4500 to 4800 lbs) ever came anywhere near close to it's GVWR of 5800 lbs. :B
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Winnebago Minnie.
But seriously how any weekend trips are you really going to make? Is owning a small TT really worth the $$ and effort OR could you rent a camper for those 2 or 3 outings? Or just rent a cabin in a campground?
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
BarneyS wrote:
I would take a look at theSonic SN220VRB or possibly the SN231VRK trailers. They have some great features including a one piece fiberglass roof that wraps around from the near bottom front to the bottom rear of the trailer.
Barney
I respectfully disagree. The Sonics have a totally inadequate CCC of 800 lbs or less, which makes their decent size holding tanks all but useless.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
My DW hates airstream, grew up with one. Thanks for all the input. How come the Winnebago Mini Winnie is not mentioned ?

After owning a standard box trailer built like all the rest and wondering if the trailer will make it to the end of the payments, I would probably only purchase an Airstream next. Something like 60 percent of all Airstreams ever made since the 1930's are still on the road. I tend to keep things and not get tired of it and want something else. So, longevity for me is important, perhaps not so for your wife.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

Snomas
Explorer
Explorer
My DW hates airstream, grew up with one. Thanks for all the input. How come the Winnebago Mini Winnie is not mentioned ?
2006 WINNEBAGO ASPECT 29H Ford E450 Super Duty
2018 F150 Lariat Crew Cab, Coyote 5.0 L RWD

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
It's up to how you intend to use it, and your personal preferences. Myself, I prefer a U shaped dinette, 2 recliners across the back, and a walk around queen bed which means any of several 25' boxes will work, fit, finish, and tank size if doing a lot of boondocking would be the issues.

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
We love our Grand Design. Check out the Imagine 2150 / 2250.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
There's lots to choose from, but the best for us is a Jayco 245RLS.

Rear living room with a huge walk in shower.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
My DW and I sold our 40"DP after 15 years of wonderful use and are now considering to downsize to a small TT for short weekend trips.

Airstream!
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would take a look at theSonic SN220VRB or possibly the SN231VRK trailers. They have some great features including a one piece fiberglass roof that wraps around from the near bottom front to the bottom rear of the trailer.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
jfkmk wrote:
We have a Coachmen 192RBS. It might be a tad small for someone coming out of a 40’DP, but we love it.

If the 192RBS is deemed to be too small Coachmen also offers the non-slide 204RD and wonderful 231RBDS, 'though either may be a touch longer than the OP specified.

Coachmen Freedom Express Floorplans

jfkmk wrote:
I pull this 6000# tt with a 2018 F150 SCrew 3.5 eb, and it tows like a dream.

Our 192RBS typically averaged 4500 to 4800 lbs loaded & ready to camp, the greatest variance being how much may be in the tanks at any given time. An easy tow with pretty well any 1/2 ton. :B
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Grand Design makes a decent trailer. They have several models in the shorter range.
https://www.granddesignrv.com/showroom/2019/travel-trailer/imagine-xls/floorplans