cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I've UNDERweight!!

dakonthemountai
Explorer
Explorer
Or at least my Truck/camper combo is! Just before I left for my recent FIRST adventure in my new to me Lance 1055 into the Lassen and Sierra National Forests I went to a certified scale and got my rig weighed. the totals include 32 gallons of fuel, me at 185lbs, my dog at 65lbs plus all her food/supplies, 2 full propane tanks, 30 gallons of fresh water, 5 gallons bottled water, full food and supplies for 17 days (including some fresh produce) including frozen pork, beef, chicken, etc. 2 six packs of beer, 4 bottles of wine and gin for my martinis, . ๐Ÿ˜„ tools and the BBQ (that quick connects directly into the camper propane) In other words, everything and completely loaded to the max. No firewood though, as I always purchase it where I burn it if possible.

Here are the numbers:

Front axle is rated for 3,800lbs

No camper at the scales with me, tools, and 32gal fuel: 3,460lbs

Weight at scales with camper: 3,600lbs.

Rear axle is rated for 7,500 lbs

No camper at the scales with me, tools and 32gal fuel: 2,820

Weight at scales with camper: 7,120 lbs.

So, total camper weight is totally loaded for 17 days is 4,440lbs, and I'm under my GVAR by 580lbs! Yahooo!!! ๐Ÿ™‚

Tire rating is not a concern either as I've got a dually with E rated tires.

I'm so happy! I absolutely LOVE my new to me camper and feel very confident in it's performance and the safety factor. I have Rancho 9000 on the back but no other suspension modifications. Drives like a dream at 65-70mph with no sway issues in the wind either.

Now, I have to gather all the photos, read my daily trip journal and post a trip report!

Happy camping everybody!! ๐Ÿ™‚

Dak
2018 GMC Denali "Extreme" and 23' EVO 2050T Travel Trailer
Escapee member #224325-Since 1992
26 REPLIES 26

sandblast
Explorer
Explorer
whizbang

Not to hi-jack the thread,would you please give me the measurement from the top
of your camper to the ground.
Thank you E.P.

whizbang
Explorer II
Explorer II
Simply amazing unloaded weight.

My Super Cab Short Bed F150 weighs 6000# unloaded.
Whizbang
2002 Winnebago Minnie
http://www.raincityhome.com/RAWH/index.htm

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
Going to be nicely under in my new truck. 2003 with everything including the kitchen sink loaded in all propane tanks full, fresh water full 6 gallons of gas for the honda 2 kayaks and on and on I was 5000 front and 8000 rear

new truck axle ratings 5940 front 9000 rear and GVWR 13,300
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

bcbigfoot
Explorer
Explorer
Reddog1 wrote:
My 1996 Dodge 2500 2WD dsl ext Cab with 8-foot bed weight is 6200 pounds. I think if it were a dually, it would be about 6400 pounds.

Wayne

My 2wd dually weights 6800 lbs with 1/4 tank of fuel, 3/4 inch plywood and tie down brackets, mine are homemade and likely weight 60-80 lbs. I believe the dually wheels are a little heavier as well the G80 rear axle is pretty beefy. My 02 has a little larger brakes as well.

My old 93 Chev 2500 extended cab 2wd diesel only weighted 5700 lbs.
2002 Dodge 3500 2wd dually, cummins, 4.10 gears, 10500gvwr, Rancho 9000's shocks
2005 Bigfoot 259.6E, 80watt solar, eu2000 Honda gen., 2x group 31 AGM bats., 7100 btu aircond, electric rear step.

dakonthemountai
Explorer
Explorer
twodownzero wrote:
dakonthemountain wrote:
twodownzero wrote:
What is GVAR? And what is your GVWR?

GVAR is Gross vehicle axle rating and it's 11,300 on my truck

GVWR is Gross vehicle weight rating, and standard for a 1996 3500 Chevy dually like mine is 10,000lbs, which would normally bring me 720lbs OVER my GVWR. However, I'm the second owner of my truck and it apparently was a special order. It has some sort of factory commercial add ons with bigger brakes, a thicker sway bar and an additional leaf spring, with a sticker that says the new GVWR from the factory is 10,800lbs. I'm no expert, but I do know from my research and my 28 years of RV/truck experience that it's the axles, brakes and shocks that mostly still make the difference in safety. So with the factory add ons it's still 80lbs under the listed GVWR. The weights I reported in my original post are referring to the Gross axle ratings though...

Hope this helps. Like I said. I'm happy.

Dak

So there's no such thing as GVAR, you just made it up. You're right at GVWR, which will be safe indefinitely. Great job!

For reference, my 4 door, 1 ton, 4wd, diesel, manual truck weighs ~7200 empty. Being lighter empty definitely helps; it took the manufacturers forever to realize that the increase in weight of the empty trucks killed the payload pretty good.

Kinda harsh man...! No I didn't make it up, I wrote the wrong letters....though I referred to it correctly in my post. So shoot me. You ever make a mistake?.. It should be GAWR... Gross Axle Weight Rating, as jimh425 wrote... and it IS a real thing and an important calculation in the mix. Geesh!

Dak

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
GAWR is a real thing. My F450 lists both GAWR and GVWR on the door sticker.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
dakonthemountain wrote:
twodownzero wrote:
What is GVAR? And what is your GVWR?

GVAR is Gross vehicle axle rating and it's 11,300 on my truck

GVWR is Gross vehicle weight rating, and standard for a 1996 3500 Chevy dually like mine is 10,000lbs, which would normally bring me 720lbs OVER my GVWR. However, I'm the second owner of my truck and it apparently was a special order. It has some sort of factory commercial add ons with bigger brakes, a thicker sway bar and an additional leaf spring, with a sticker that says the new GVWR from the factory is 10,800lbs. I'm no expert, but I do know from my research and my 28 years of RV/truck experience that it's the axles, brakes and shocks that mostly still make the difference in safety. So with the factory add ons it's still 80lbs under the listed GVWR. The weights I reported in my original post are referring to the Gross axle ratings though...

Hope this helps. Like I said. I'm happy.

Dak

So there's no such thing as GVAR, you just made it up. You're right at GVWR, which will be safe indefinitely. Great job!

For reference, my 4 door, 1 ton, 4wd, diesel, manual truck weighs ~7200 empty. Being lighter empty definitely helps; it took the manufacturers forever to realize that the increase in weight of the empty trucks killed the payload pretty good.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Ace! wrote:
You would think with mileage ratings being so important that manufacturers would have worked hard to keep the weight lower.

You would, but you can only cut so much weight before you start to compromise structure, and by extension, the safety of the occupants.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

languiduck
Explorer
Explorer
dakonthemountain wrote:
languiduck wrote:
My 06 diesel F250 crew cab short bed weighs 7900# empty. I don't carry anything in it, except for a tool kit, a pair of boots, and an umbrella. That difference in weight is crazy!

Is it 2WD?

Yup. 2WD. I know! who would think that a 10 year newer truck w/diesel (yours) would weigh over 1,000lbs more! Yours is also 4WD?...

Dak

Yep, 4WD. You have about a 1500# head start on many, if not most, of us!
2006 F250
Palomino Bronco 800

Ace_
Explorer
Explorer
You would think with mileage ratings being so important that manufacturers would have worked hard to keep the weight lower.
2015 Four Wheel Camper Hawk (on order, impatiently waiting)
2005 Ford F250 CC, V10, 4.30, 4x4
Triple A RV in Medford Sucks

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Between the weight of the Powerstroke engine, and all the additional computer and safety equipment that has gone into the average vehicle between 1996 and 2006, it's not hard to find where the bloat is.

They had to thin down the body or else the truck would be that much heavier.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

dakonthemountai
Explorer
Explorer
languiduck wrote:
My 06 diesel F250 crew cab short bed weighs 7900# empty. I don't carry anything in it, except for a tool kit, a pair of boots, and an umbrella. That difference in weight is crazy!

Is it 2WD?

Yup. 2WD. I know! who would think that a 10 year newer truck w/diesel (yours) would weigh over 1,000lbs more! Yours is also 4WD?...

Dak

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
My 1996 Dodge 2500 2WD dsl ext Cab with 8-foot bed weight is 6200 pounds. I think if it were a dually, it would be about 6400 pounds.

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

languiduck
Explorer
Explorer

Is it 2WD?
2006 F250
Palomino Bronco 800