cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I want to soften the suspension on my Tow Rig?

Blanco1
Explorer
Explorer
When I bought my Tow rig ( 1997 Dodge RAM 3500 Dually ) it seemed very stiff & then we put the truck camper in its bed & that was what it needed it was a much nicer ride with the camper in there.

But I sold that & now I'm towing a travel trailer with an empty bed & the wife hates it!
I must admit its VERY STIFF!
Its a work truck suspension & being all the miles we have already towed our new trailer ( About 2000 miles on our very 1st trip ) we both can agree it would be nice to soften up the ride a bit.

My 1st thought was Shocks?

What are your thoughts?

I have disengaged the awesome lower Stable Loads I have from TorkLift before our trip.

Would shocks alone make much of a difference?
1997 Dodge 4x4, 5 spd manual trans & HotRod 5.9 cummins.
With '85 Lance.
54 REPLIES 54

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lynnmor wrote:
After reading all the rave reviews about the Bilstein shocks, I replaced the stock units with 4600's. While the handling improved in certain conditions, the ride was much worse. My wife would like the old shocks back on. That's why I suggested cheap shocks for the OP.

You do not need cheap shocks, you and he need adjustable shocks. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Blanco1 wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
Look into a Kelderman Kit. this will give you what you want. A nice smooth ride with the simplicity, power and economy of the 12V Cummins! The Kelderman is pricey though!

What is in the Kit?
& how pricey?

You say its worth the price?

Itโ€™s a complete new rear suspension that comes with trailing arms and langard bar. Itโ€™s a direct bolt in. Comes with air bags and shocks.

I think the rear kit is approx $4-5k!!! Front and rear kit is around $7-8k!!! Yes pricey but you can dial in any ride height you want and it rides beautiful!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
After reading all the rave reviews about the Bilstein shocks, I replaced the stock units with 4600's. While the handling improved in certain conditions, the ride was much worse. My wife would like the old shocks back on. That's why I suggested cheap shocks for the OP.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Blanco1 wrote:
Me Again wrote:
Rancho 9000 shocks(set to one) and 35 pounds of air in the rear tires empty will greatly improve things.

Interesting thought , yet I wonder how that would effect my tire wear?

Chris is right!!! Personally I would go with Bilstein 4600's. But simply look at the weight/ inflation chart for your tire. 35psi is good for light loads and daily driving. Run your front tires at 75.

Tire wear will be much better and the tire contact patch will help with better braking.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
donn0128 wrote:
Might want to swap it for a much newer 2500 with coil rear suspension. That will give you the soft ride.

You buying it for him or what?

Put me on the list ๐Ÿ™‚
Puma 30RKSS

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Blanco1 wrote:
Me Again wrote:
Rancho 9000 shocks(set to one) and 35 pounds of air in the rear tires empty will greatly improve things.

Shocks arenโ€™t what makes it stiff. 35psi is not a lot. Thatโ€™s the equivalent of 70 psi in 2 tires.
If youโ€™re driving with full tires, drop them to 35psi or lower even, before you spend money on the truck.
Unless the tires are squatting , no problem with tire wear.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
donn0128 wrote:
Might want to swap it for a much newer 2500 with coil rear suspension. That will give you the soft ride.

You buying it for him or what?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
I cut off the ends of the bottom OLs and moved some spacers so the top OLs engage sooner and they are softer than the bottom OLs. I have airbags to make up for the bottom OLs. I did my 03 like that and I just did my 12 that way and it works great. Or take it to a spring shop. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Blanco1 wrote:
Me Again wrote:

4 LT235/85R16E has a dually axle rating(4 tires) of 6340 pounds at 35 pound inflation for the tires. If you have a smaller size tire, they are in the table linked below.

And at 65 pounds inflation the axle is good for 9524 pounds. No need to ever inflate the tires to 80 pounds. For a bumper pull trailer there would never be a need to inflate the tires above the 35 pounds, as at 35 pounds inflation you have over 3,000 carrying capacity available on the rear axle.w

On my old 2001.5 SRW the ride difference between the Ranchos turned up and 80 pounds inflation in the LT265/75R16Es and 40 pounds and Ranchos on one was very noticeable.

https://www.michelintruck.com/reference-materials/manuals-bulletins-and-warranties/load-and-inflatio...
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Blanco1
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
Look into a Kelderman Kit. this will give you what you want. A nice smooth ride with the simplicity, power and economy of the 12V Cummins! The Kelderman is pricey though!

What is in the Kit?
& how pricey?

You say its worth the price?
1997 Dodge 4x4, 5 spd manual trans & HotRod 5.9 cummins.
With '85 Lance.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

steve-n-vicki
Explorer
Explorer
put a 150 gallon fuel tank in the bed and fill it up

filrupmark
Explorer
Explorer
Call General Spring in Kansas City. I was surprised on pricing when I Replaced our rear leaf springs. They could downsize or soften your spring pack. It cost me about 350.00 with shipping for new F350 springs . The sales guy was very knowledgeable on different options.
2004 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.0 Diesel, Bilstein 4600 Shocks, 16K B&W Patriot, Michelin M&S
2014 Augusta Flex AF34RS Trailair Tri Glide pinbox,
JT Strong Arms , Bridgestone R250'S, KYB Monotube Gas shocks
Finally a smooth ride !!!

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Blanco1 wrote:
Me Again wrote:

Well weigh your rear axle both loaded and unloaded, then check a load inflation chart for your tires.

If empty and rear axle weighs 3,000# that is 750 ea. on the four rear tires. Double that for loaded, to 6,000# and you get 1,500# per tire loaded, I wouldn't run the tires much above 65 psi loaded at 6,000#.

I will add that our 2001 2500 with Camper Package has the same springs as the 3500 DRW, I run my tires at 45 to 50 psi empty. I carry about 2,400#+ for pin weight on our 5er.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had a 1991 F250 that was brutal until I put Rancho 9000s on it in 2009. My only regret was not having done it sooner. That is the first thing that I would do if I was in your position.