cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

increasing tongue weight

nasars
Explorer
Explorer
Hey everyone, not new to forum, but new to posting. Usually lurk in background and soak up knowledge. I tried a search but didnt find anything, but i would like to increase my tongue weight. According to cat scale numbers i`m right at 10%. Would like to bump up to 12-13%. Feel like it would ride better. I've moved everything i can to front of camper, water tank is at rear of camper, do adding water is out. I have a rear slide on camper, so i have extra weight back there. Is there a direct corelation between adding weight and increasing tongue weight? Ie adding one hundred pounds to front of camper increases tongue weight by 100 lbs? Or is it more of a percentage? Or dependent on weight location? Anyway, what are some feasable ways of adding some weight? Thanks
18 REPLIES 18

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
more batteries, more propane, bike rack on the nose, tool box on the nose..... lots of options. what tickles your fancy
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

LITEPHIL
Explorer
Explorer
GM recommends 15%. I'm at 10% and it's a little squirly at times. I know adding 200 lbs up front would be much better.
2022 Chevy Silverado RST Duramax NHT
1954 Chevy 3100 Carryall 4x4
2008 Salem T23FBL
04 FXDL Harley

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
op wrote:
Planning on getting new trailer next year, so this may be all a moot point, thanks everybody for the replies.

Yeah I would leave it alone if the rig doesn't have a tail waggin' the dog issues.
Good hunting for the new trailer :B
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
naturist wrote:
Ain't nothing magical about 10% vs 12%-13%. Depends on the design of the trailer. In Europe, trailers are generally designed to carry 8% or so on the tongue.

So I say, if it tow's straight, nobody cares what the tongue weight is. Leave it alone. Don't fix what ain't broke.

Physics isn`t magical...... but it is real!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Basically you want to add 2% more to the tongue. just for a round number lets say you are 600 right now 2% more would be 120 lbs. that should give you an idea of what needs to be moved around. just adding a 2nd battery alone would be approx. 60lbs.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
naturist wrote:
Ain't nothing magical about 10% vs 12%-13%. Depends on the design of the trailer. In Europe, trailers are generally designed to carry 8% or so on the tongue.

So I say, if it tow's straight, nobody cares what the tongue weight is. Leave it alone. Don't fix what ain't broke.

I will wager that you have never experienced sway caused by low TW.

I have. It is not an experience I wish to repeat, or one that I think anyone else should.

I was very lucky.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

naturist
Nomad
Nomad

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
nasars wrote:
Hey everyone, not new to forum, but new to posting. Usually lurk in background and soak up knowledge. I tried a search but didnt find anything, but i would like to increase my tongue weight. According to cat scale numbers i`m right at 10%. Would like to bump up to 12-13%. Feel like it would ride better. I've moved everything i can to front of camper, water tank is at rear of camper, do adding water is out. I have a rear slide on camper, so i have extra weight back there. Is there a direct corelation between adding weight and increasing tongue weight? Ie adding one hundred pounds to front of camper increases tongue weight by 100 lbs? Or is it more of a percentage? Or dependent on weight location? Anyway, what are some feasable ways of adding some weight? Thanks

I too would want more than the minimum TW. My reasoning is simple, yet many miss this: A TT is different than most other trailers.
The weight distribution is constantly changing in the course of a trip.Things get consumed/used and either disappear (propane) or move (food, water, waste, etc. Being right at the minimum depending on YOUR usage and YOUR TTs layout could have YOUR TT end up with a lighter TW at some point... Possibly too light.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

nasars
Explorer
Explorer
My rear slide is intragrated into bumper, so nothing extra there, dont want to mess up the slide. Appreciate the suggestions. will probably leave as is since its towing ok. Not sure how to drop front anymore, ball is in lowest position on shank. Thanks.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
โ€œPlanning on getting new trailer next year, so this may be all a moot point, thanks everybody for the replies.โ€œ

Leave it alone then.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are limits to how much you can do it, but a lower tongue will increase percentage of TW.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Weight centered over the axles will add 0% to the hitch weight.
Weight added directly over the ball will add 100%.
Between that it's basically a percentage of the distance between...so 50% of the distance between the ball and center of axles will add 50% to the hitch weight.

Now if you can move weight from the back end to the front end, that can actually result in greater than 100% as weight behind the axles actually reduces hitch weight. So if you have a generator on the rear bumper and can move it to a rack above the tongue, that can have a bigger impact.

If it's towing well, I wouldn't put a lot of effort into it but do keep an eye on it...especially if you have a trip where you will be carrying fresh water. It might not take much to push from towing well to being a problem.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Well, ya gotta describe what characteristic youโ€™d like to improve or this is just a poorly written mystery.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

nasars
Explorer
Explorer
Not really having any real issues towing, just feel (in my head) that a little more tongue weight would make a better tow. Trailer tows level. I have front bunks and their loaded with gear, and my front storage is loaded. Have thought about getting an a frame bike rack just to add some weight. I would have to add 110lbs to tongue weight to get up to 12%, which sounds like im gonna have to add approx 200lbs to achieve that. Planning on getting new trailer next year, so this may be all a moot point, thanks everybody for the replies.