cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Infrared Thermometer

VTR
Explorer
Explorer
I am thinking of getting one of these to check trailer hubs/axle heat, as someone recommended.

What kinda of readings am I looking at if I am having a problem with overheating?

Is a hand to feel tamps on the hub not good enough?

I am told using one can really avert a problem before it happens.

Thoughts
20 REPLIES 20

mosseater
Explorer
Explorer
I point this out every time one of these threads pops up. You need to be aware of the spot to distance ratio of the reading area. That little pinpoint laser dot isn't the actual measurement area, it's only a representation of the approximate total read area for aiming purposes. A spot to distance ratio of 8 to 1 for example reads an 8" circle at 1 foot and expands proportionally the farther out you get. IOW, be close to get consistant measurements. Farther away and you get an average of a much wider area.

As you were....
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
.....snip.....

IMHO if you have to gun you bearings at every stop your doing something very wrong or are paranoid, or both.

Playing devil's advocate here, I'm not so sure it's either of those things. I suspect it's a result of so much recent internet lore. We see here and on other forums, a lot of "internet experts" claim that you must re-grease your bearings every single year, or you will surely suffer a roadside failure.
Personally I think that is more often than necessary, but at least the idea of regular service habits is a good one, and also, a walk around check of tires, bearings, hitch fastening, etc, is certainly better than blindly ignoring every part of the trailer and tow vehicle.
My general experience over the decades of my towing is that the trailer bearings that took the most beating was my boat trailers. They "always" got some moisture in them, even with "bearing buddy's". Of course RV trailers don't suffer the fate of being backed into water.
I guess my take-away from it all is I'd rather see folks being "paranoid" about checking things rather than not checking enough.

Besides, like I said earlier, the non contact IR thermometer is fun to play with for lots of other things. ๐Ÿ™‚

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
How many of you do bearing maintenance or even look at them every 10 years or so? Judging from the responses here not many?

I have owned about a dozen trailers in my lifetime in all sorts of configurations and have put 10's of thousands of miles on them towing in extreme temperatures and some here would call extreme speed. I have never had a bearing fail in that time. When they are inspected they all look like brand new.

Seriously, do you people gun your TV bearings even when not towing? If not, why not?

IMHO if you have to gun you bearings at every stop your doing something very wrong or are paranoid, or both.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

hawkeye-08
Explorer III
Explorer III
4X4Dodger wrote:
VTR wrote:
I am thinking of getting one of these to check trailer hubs/axle heat, as someone recommended.

What kinda of readings am I looking at if I am having a problem with overheating?

Thoughts

I honestly would just use my hand. It's simpler, cheaper deadly dependable...I just dont see the need for a $40 gadget to perform this simple task. And the advantage of using your hand is you have to bend down and get close to the tires which gives you opportunity to see things you might miss from 4 feet away.

You might change your mind when you reach down and burn your hand because the hub is failing and very hot.... just saying.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
What part of "less than $10" above did you not understand? You put the gun on the tire, not 4' away.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
VTR wrote:

Thoughts

I honestly would just use my hand. It's simpler, cheaper deadly dependable...I just dont see the need for a $40 gadget to perform this simple task. And the advantage of using your hand is you have to bend down and get close to the tires which gives you opportunity to see things you might miss from 4 feet away.

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
gmw photos wrote:
I got one from harbor freight a few years ago for about $30.

That's where I got mine too. Works great for what I need to use it on. Had it several years.
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

โ€œCertainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

Houston_Remodel
Explorer
Explorer
The add on flow through TPMS we have on the TT also checks temperature and has a high temp warning on the little screen inside the TV
2015 Starcraft Launch 24RLS
2014 Ram 2500 diesel 4x4
Guarded by 2 Jack Russells

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I bought this one this winter:

http://www.amazon.com/Nubee-Temperature-Non-contact-Infrared-Thermometer/dp/B00CVHIJDK/ref=sr_1_1?ie...

I have not had a chance to check it out on the TT yet but it was fun to check out all the cold spots inside my house in the wintertime.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Had a lot of fun with mine at Yellowstone. When the Rangers tell you that stuff is HOT, you better believe them!!
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
Gmw, you sold me. I can check my cat when he hasn't moved for hours.

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
I got one from harbor freight a few years ago for about $30. seems to work well enough. I agree that what you are looking for is one brake, tire, or hub that is significantly different than the others. I was able to diagnose a brake that was not working as well as the other three on a trailer. Had one cold drum and the other three warm and within a few degrees of each other. Besides it's fun to point the thermometer at lots of other things, like the electric heater, extension cords that are overloaded, the dog's belly.....lots of fun uses. It's a neat educational tool also for kids and grandkids.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
The first several times you use it will not tell you much as you are looking for something out of the ordinary. I temp my tires on the sidewall near the tread and rarely will I have a temp over 140. Hubs can be 100-120 if you have not used the brakes much before measuring. For less than $10 you can buy a nice enough one.
All kind of uses and one that will surprise you is to point it straight up on a clear day and see how low of a temp you can get... -30F in the winter which is around 30,000'.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
I look for the difference between tires/hubs. If three are within a few degrees of each other and one is 50 degrees hotter, I've got a potential problem.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD