cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Installing Ram 5th wheel prep

LIKE2BUILD
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone installed the Ram 5th wheel prep kit part# 82213980AB in their 2014 or newer Ram 2500? We're about to purchase a 5th wheel and I want to use this for my attachment points in the bed. My truck didn't come with the kit pre-installed so I'm going to tackle this myself. I've seen on other forums the kit comes with good instructions, but I'd like to see a video just to make sure I'm comfortable with it.

Thanks,
KJ
'14 Ram 2500|Crew Cab Long Bed|4X4|Cummins
Curt Q20 with Ram 5th Wheel Prep
2000 Crownline 205BR
1997 Ranger Comanche 461VS
'01 Polaris Virage TX PWC
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
3 Wonderful Sons (21, 15, & 13)
1 forgiving wife!!!
42 REPLIES 42

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
LIKE2BUILD wrote:
I got the puck system installed this weekend and assembled the hitch.

Observations on the puck installation:
1) The bed DOES NOT need to be lifted to install the pucks. There was ample room between the frame and bed to slide in the pucks and attach them to the frame.
2) Locations for the 3 1/2" holes was a little sketchy. The instructions say to "measure 26 1/4" from the end of the bed support ribs". These ribs taper a good bit at the end so it felt a bit like a guessing game. I measured exactly from that point and all of my holes ended up 1/4" too far forward. I used a die grinder to lengthen the holes so the trim rings would fit.
****In hindsight, I should have drilled the pilot hole for the 2 front pucks then checked for centering. That might have helped, but it's tough to get a good line of sight from underneath.
**** I wish Ram would have chosen the back edge of the bed as the measuring point instead of the ribs. That would have been a better define place to use as a starting point.

Observations on the Hitch:
--- It seems pretty well constructed and assembly was a snap.

--- The Curt Q20 with dual jaw design seems similar to the B&W hitch head design. I know the B&W is well made, but the $300 difference is a little tough to swallow. The Curt head is cushioned and tilts front/rear and side-to-side. I think it covers most design features of the 'better' hitches in the industry. Of course there's air ride and all kinds of other high end systems, but I think the Curt will be worlds better than the RBW.

KJ

The only this that I would give to the B&W is less moving parts to get sloppy and worn and the big thing for me is the lock and release of the king pin is effortless and simple but well designed. There have been times with other hitches that I have had I would have given someone $500 to get my hitch unhooked. Since I've had the B&W my wife can hook and unhook.Otherwise I believe you have chosen a great hitch so enjoy and go camping.;)
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
LIKE2BUILD wrote:

1) The bed DOES NOT need to be lifted to install the pucks. There was ample room between the frame and bed to slide in the pucks and attach them to the frame.
2) Locations for the 3 1/2" holes was a little sketchy. The instructions say to "measure 26 1/4" from the end of the bed support ribs". These ribs taper a good bit at the end so it felt a bit like a guessing game. I measured exactly from that point and all of my holes ended up 1/4" too far forward. I used a die grinder to lengthen the holes so the trim rings would fit.
****In hindsight, I should have drilled the pilot hole for the 2 front pucks then checked for centering. That might have helped, but it's tough to get a good line of sight from underneath.
**** I wish Ram would have chosen the back edge of the bed as the measuring point instead of the ribs. That would have been a better define place to use as a starting point.

--- The Curt Q20 with dual jaw design seems similar to the B&W hitch head design. I know the B&W is well made, but the $300 difference is a little tough to swallow. The Curt head is cushioned and tilts front/rear and side-to-side. I think it covers most design features of the 'better' hitches in the industry. Of course there's air ride and all kinds of other high end systems, but I think the Curt will be worlds better than the RBW.

KJ

Thanks for the update! Congrats on doing the install yourself! I have no experience with the Curt hitch, but seems many are happy with them. In any case, your finished setup is worlds above your original plan.

Happy towing,
Jerry

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"Curt will be worlds better than the RBW" I would agree with that for sure! But there is NO comparison to the B&W. The $300 would have been money well spent. IMHO

But if you are happy that is all that matters!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well it seems the 2500 puck system difference allows the installation without lifting the bed. My 2015 3500 required lifting the bed. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

LIKE2BUILD
Explorer
Explorer

KJ
'14 Ram 2500|Crew Cab Long Bed|4X4|Cummins
Curt Q20 with Ram 5th Wheel Prep
2000 Crownline 205BR
1997 Ranger Comanche 461VS
'01 Polaris Virage TX PWC
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
3 Wonderful Sons (21, 15, & 13)
1 forgiving wife!!!

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Brisk wrote:
I have to agree with the B&W guys since I am one myself. That is THE hitch to buy PERIOD. I totally understand the cost factor but you will HATE towing your 5er when it clunks every time you start and stop. Sell something if you have too, but BUY THE B&W HITCH!!!!!

I think you just earned one free year in the B&W Fanboy Club!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Brisk
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have to agree with the B&W guys since I am one myself. That is THE hitch to buy PERIOD. I totally understand the cost factor but you will HATE towing your 5er when it clunks every time you start and stop. Sell something if you have too, but BUY THE B&W HITCH!!!!!
Brent('85) & Lindsay('86) DDs('08 &'11)

'14 RAM Laramie 3500SRW CCLB Cummins/4x4/68RFE
-B&W Turnover Ball/Anderson Ultimate Aluminum

Toyhauler-'06 Forest River Sierra Sport F32

2001 Malibu Sunsetter VLX Wakeboat

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
So Troy you can install a 270 hitch assemble with one arm/hand, right?
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Me Again wrote:
LIKE2BUILD wrote:
Perfect information. Thanks so much.

Your install looks extremely clean and that's the appearance that I want. The 5er we're buying is coming with the hitch that uses standard bolt-down rails in the bed. Call me crazy, but I just really don't want anything permanent in the bed. I want it completely clear so if I carry a load of wood, plywood, drywall....whatever....I don't have to goof around with the rails being in the way.

I went back and forth with installing a B&W turnover ball then using a Companion hitch. That's a pretty nice deal but by the time I bought that whole setup I'd be over $1300 into the project. I'm getting the factory fifth wheel prep, wiring kit, and Reese picture frame adapter for under $700. Since I'm getting the hitch for free that puts me way ahead on $$$$$.

I guess the final straw in going this route is having 4 points of locking contact for the hitch compared to 1 for the B&W setup. Yes, I know the Companion spreads the weight across bed and it is a very well engineered system, but I do like the idea of having hitch locked directly into the frame rails. Another nice thing is picture frame adapter makes it versatile and if I want to upgrade 5er hitches it's just simple plug and play without any other mods.

KJ

If you have not yet purchase the Reese PF, STOP and look at the Demco 6099 frame. It can be release without first removing the hitch. I pick my whole hitch/picture frame as a single unit.

ORRRRRRrrr save the picture frame money, sell the free hitch and get a B&W RVK3600. You will not be sorry on doing that, I guarantee you will not be sorry if you go this route!!!!!

Chris

That looks like some Rube Goldberg engineering.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
LIKE2BUILD wrote:
Okay, this is really funny. The Ram 20K Hitch

....looks pretty much identical to the Curt 20K 5er hitch.

KJ

They are the same, BOTH Made in China and not simple to hitch. I have hitched an inlays twice and not simple as it should be.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"I was on the phone with Etrailer.com and they said the hitches that fit direct in the Ram fifth Prep are difficult to get"

Sorry THAT is NOT true!

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
LIKE2BUILD wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Your call but IMHO you are throwing good money after bad. The RVK3600 will be ready to go when you decide your truck and RV are not big enough. Do the math. Picture frame adapter is $370 sell your "FREE" hitch $300? You are down to $500 for the proper hitch. NO brainer to me. You need to sell your wife on this.

The cheapest I've seen the RVK3600 is $1,100. Even if I get $300 for the RBK (doubtful without the rails) I'm still out $800 versus $370 for the picture frame.

KJ

you are NOT thinking about this correctly.

RVK3600 $1,159
Reese adapter not spending -$370
Sell RBW -$300

Bottom line you WILL hate the front to back ONLY pivot. You will find your self not being able to unhitch after leveling the RV and trying to pull away. Then you will have to block the rear tire to unhitch. then you will have to block the rear tire to get it to hitch. I went thru this and almost dropped my RV!!! I bought the RBW 4 way head after that. That part was much better but the clunk/clank and overall slop of the hitch was driving me crazy. A friend suggested the B&W Companion. I took his advice and still thank him for showing me the light.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Blazing Zippers wrote:
I just installed a B&W goose neck with a new Anderson tripod in our 2016 Ram. The tripod weighs under 80 lbs and comes out quickly. The gooseneck then turns over for a flat floor. Works great!

Thats also a great way to go if he hasn't already got the picture frame, if so then he could just go the standard rail version of the Andersen which attaches to the picture frame. Great reviews on the Andersen hitch. I will eventually go with the Andersen.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
LIKE2BUILD wrote:
Okay, this is really funny. The Ram 20K Hitch

....looks pretty much identical to the Curt 20K 5er hitch.

KJ

Obviously the B&W crowd failed to even mention the Andersen Ultimate hitch , which fits our picture frames Demco or Reese. Do yourself a favor and at least check them out , they are half the cost of most hitches, and have become very popular.