cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

insurance questions

MG1912
Explorer
Explorer
1. Once I put the camper on the truck and head out on the road, do I need to inform my auto insurance company, i.e. does that change anything for liability/insurance purposes, i.e. would it cause issues if I got into a collision and hadn't told my insurance company about the camper beforehand?

2. How are you all insuring your actual truck campers? It's a high-dollar item (for me, at least), and I would imagine people want them insured.

Many thanks in advance.
36 REPLIES 36

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Kayteg1 wrote:
TC is a cargo and if you have expensive policy, it automatically covers cargo.
Read what you have, or call your agent.

This is why internet advice is bad.....

To the OP, insure the truck, insure the camper if you wish, go camping.
(PS, itโ€™s not cargo if itโ€™s off the truck and in some states it requires its own license plate. )
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
When I did the research, my homeowners covered it at home off the truck and the truck policy covered on the truck; neither one offered replacement value (which was the deal breaker for me.)

But if I had opted for those individual cross-over two policies, it would not cover the camper off the tuck in the field since it was not tied to either if it was standing alone out somewhere... that was the final nail that made me get an independent policy on the TC.

DYODD- YMMV.
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

Optimistic_Para
Explorer
Explorer
JimK-NY wrote:
Where did the OP or anyone else get the idea that insurance on a truck provided ANY coverage for a camper? That would not be true for most insurance policies. You need a separate, additional policy.....Period.

Since - in most states - a truck camper is considered CARGO being carried in the back of your truck, the question then becomes, does your insurance policy cover cargo, and if it does, are there any limits as to how much they will pay? Other limits - collision vs comprehensive, etc.?

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
๐Ÿ˜ž
3 tons wrote:
GeoBoy wrote:
Take her to small claims court to get a judgment on your deductible.

Lol on that one - Small claims court is like ObamaCare, you can win a judgement but receive zero renumeration...No need to ask me how I know..........

I canโ€™t believe you used the โ€œOโ€ word!:R

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
GeoBoy wrote:

Lol on that one - Small claims court is like ObamaCare, you can win a judgement but receive zero renumeration...No need to ask me how I know..........

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
Jim, thatโ€™s the case in NY but maybe different in other states. We have a separate TC policy also.

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
Where did the OP or anyone else get the idea that insurance on a truck provided ANY coverage for a camper? That would not be true for most insurance policies. You need a separate, additional policy.....Period.

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
We always carry a separate policy on the TC, it's relatively cheap, and covers WAY MORE than anything my truck policy would cover.
Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

Optimistic_Para
Explorer
Explorer
lonegunman wrote:
When it is in the yard, it is covered by homeowners as property. When it is on the road, it is part of the truck and they do not care to hear from me about my adventures.

I rather suspect that if you take it off your truck anywhere OTHER than your home and something happens to it, you will find that neither your truck policy nor your homeowners policy will cover it.

lonegunman
Explorer
Explorer
Once you add your truck camper to your truck insurance, no problems. I called Stat Farm and told them what I bought, sent them a copy of the window sticker and they simply added it to my trucks value.

When it is in the yard, it is covered by homeowners as property. When it is on the road, it is part of the truck and they do not care to hear from me about my adventures.

Four years, zero problems.

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
My truck was recently hit by a woman driver chit chatting on her cell phone with young kids in the car. My dually rear axle shifted and was bent and the forged alloy wheel compressed like a spit ball...Her car (a borrowed, unregistered, uninsured beater car) was totaled and her every air bag went off... The left rear camper jack was ripped off causing $5k damage to the camper alone...Even though I was not at fault (thus my rates wonโ€™t go up), the deductible had to come from my pocket because she was uninsured (yes, this is the way policies are written when insurance companies canโ€™t recover!!)...I feel very lucky that I had a separate policy on the camper...

FWIW, the Sacramento Cop didnโ€™t care one single bit that she was on her cell phone, or that her borrowed car was unregistered, or uninsured... He freely stated that his sole purpose was to determine if there were any injuries (this is the ONLY THING that will trigger the writing of an accident report - lol! : ( , and to inform her of her obligation to have her car towed!!...Lucky for me (absent accident report...) there were witnesses, thus my rates didnโ€™t go UP!!

A real wake up call - Good Luck

3 tons

specta
Explorer
Explorer
My camper has a separate policy and is covered year round.
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

Optimistic_Para
Explorer
Explorer
For a really good overview of RV insurance, I recommend you take a look at this site:

https://www.rv-dreams.com/rv-insurance-coverages.html

MG1912
Explorer
Explorer
djg wrote:
I would insure it on its own policy then if anything happens when it's off the truck you are covered. Mine got blown over last year in a wind storm insurance covered it, if you do not have separate insurance who would cover it off the truck

Dave

Thank you. That is a good idea. I will ask my insurance company about stand-alone coverage in the case of the camper being off the truck.