cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Interesting Dilema today.

FireGuard
Explorer
Explorer
I'm just over 3 weeks on a road trip. Spent 5-6 days each in Lake Havasu, Branson, Mo and my parents in Iowa. Left Iowa Sun and have been cruising around Colorado the past 2 days. Road through Rocky Mtn Park to Steamboat was closed so headed south and spent last night at Lake Dillion in Frisco. Tonight camped along the river in Ouray. 2 other TCs next to me.
Because I had access to family houses, I used the facilities there and just had a couple of showers and liquid in the black tank so I haven't dumped for a couple of weeks.
Today at a rest stop, it looked like my sewer conection was leaking and I had a slight sewer gas odor in the camper. The next rest stop in rifle had a nice dump station so I decided to dump. When I took the cap off it was dry so that didn't make sense. I also have a wooden deck on the rear that was sprayed with what looked like black liquid. But, I knew there was only liquid in the tank. Now I'm scratching my head. Nothing from the truck.
After I finished dumping, I hosed everything down. On the Lance 981 the sewer compt door swings up and when I bent under it I felt the back of my shirt get a little wet. No big deal, just water.
When I stopped for fuel 2 hrs later, I noticed some pieces of cloth on the seat and the back of my shirt had 3 holes in it as well as a small hole in the front of my shorts. Now I'm thinking what in the heck was in the tanks. All I could think of was the body wash sitting in the tank so long.
The holes reminded me of what battery acid does to cloth. In the 981, the batteries are in a slideout tray at the top of the sewer compt. but I didn't see anything obvious.
So, on the 45 min drive to Ouray I'm thinking I've beeen contaminated by some strange chemical. LOL
After setting up camp I investigated. The painnt on the steel of the bottom edge of the compt door looked like someone applied paint striper. Long story short, I found a sheet metal screw and a washer in the steel tray under the plastic battery tray that had worn through the plastic and wore a small hole in the bottom of 1 of the batteries allowing the acid in that cell to leak out. The black stuff was the weather stripping disolving and blowing back onto the deck.
After a good rinse and cleaning all is good and I'm down to 1 battery for the next 3 days.
Good news is I'm not contaminated by some strange form of holding tank bacteria. LOL
Colorado is just such amazing scenery, I could spend months here.
I highly recommend 4J RV park. Full hookups on the river for $36 and only 2 blocks from downtown. Large, very clean bathroom/showers, laundry, tv room and WiFI.
13Jeep Wrangler
07 Ragen 21FB
12 Yamaha Super Tenere
14 Suzuki DR 650
9 REPLIES 9

JumboJet
Explorer
Explorer
My dad had a battery spill acid in a tractor seat. He was unaware of the problem until later when he walked outside from the Ace Hardware store and felt a cool breeze blowing up his backside. ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

pa_traveler
Explorer
Explorer
Good detective work,you found the problem fairly quickly.

kohldad
Explorer
Explorer
Glad you figured it out. Make sure to wash the area down with an acid neutralizer such as baking soda and water.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
I think I'd hose off the seat, too. You are lucky there aren't any holes in you. Sulfuric acid can do that, too. Glad you figured it out quickly.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Lol. I worked with fork lift batteries and know what holes in clothes are. I knew where your story was going right away. Ouray is a great place. Did you go on the walk back into the river/ice climbing area? Cant remember the name of it. Its before you head south out of town. Wish I was there. Go back up by the waterfall too. Its wild when its been raining.

FireGuard
Explorer
Explorer
Good point.
13Jeep Wrangler
07 Ragen 21FB
12 Yamaha Super Tenere
14 Suzuki DR 650

Reddog1
Explorer
Explorer
It was also nice you did not have two 6-volt batteries. Atleast you can address the second battery at your leisure, and still have 12-volts.

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

FireGuard
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks
Sitting 10' from the river. Will be good sleeping weather and sound.
13Jeep Wrangler
07 Ragen 21FB
12 Yamaha Super Tenere
14 Suzuki DR 650

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
Glad you got it figured out. That kind of thing can drive you nuts! You're right about Ouray. Gotta get back there soon. Have a great trip!
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

โ€œCertainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard