cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Interesting TC

rwj146
Explorer
Explorer
I thought this was an interesting looking camper. I am not sure how the durability would be.

http://casualturtlecampers.com/

I don't know how to do the clicky thing, sorry.
Courage is endurance for one moment moreโ€ฆ
Unknown Marine Second Lieutenant in Vietnam
10 REPLIES 10

69_Avion
Explorer
Explorer
When looking at an RV, I'm looking for long term durability. I don't see that lasting 40 years or more, especially in the AZ sun. With it's limited space, I would rather have a pop up camper. I'm sure it would fit some folks needs, but it doesn't work for me.
Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel
1988 Avion Triple Axle Trailer
1969 Avion C-11 Camper

nycsteve
Explorer
Explorer
The picture of the guy sleeping, he's really close to the cieling, that could get really hot. I dont remember any cieling vents or fans.
I can see a niche for a camper like this, but while it looks cool ,its not my cup of tea.

F350mule
Explorer
Explorer
FreeLanceing wrote:
I wonder where the jacks are. How do you load unload.

Good question to ask him.
2001 F-350 Crew-cab 4x4 2001 Lance 1010 Life is good

GalinAZ
Explorer
Explorer
I admire a young person applying his knowledge to a new challenge, thinking differently, if I were a TC manufacturer I'd bring him in to share his ideas.
GalinAZ
2011 Thor Majestic Class C 23A
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport toad

FreeLanceing
Explorer II
Explorer II
Its one thing to know how to do something, quite another to be able to do it well. I wonder where the jacks are. How do you load unload.

bjbear
Explorer
Explorer
I can see this might appeal to some. The price seems pretty reasonable and it would be great for the backwoods types who are thinking their tent is getting a little old. For myself, who defines roughing it as "not putting up the satellite dish", it is not going to appeal!

I'm thinking that once he sells a few, his technique will develop and things like wronkles will disappear. I wonder if he might have trouble gettinh into some campgrounds due to the rustic/homebuilt appearance.
2006 Monaco Camelot 42-DSQ
09 Blazer 20' Covered Trailer
Toad - 2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited
My Website

rwj146
Explorer
Explorer
This is a copy of a reply he sent to a member of another forum. I have no 'dog in this fight' I just thought the camper looked decent, I missed the wrinkles in the roof.

"Thanks to everyone for the comments and thoughts. This is something I've wanted to do for a long time and it's been a lot of fun and very rewarding.

So as I've just recently started down this road of building campers for others - I haven't wanted to take any chances structurally. This is the main reason for not using reclaimed materials. My priorities have been structural integrity, staying lightweight (910 lbs as pictured), keeping them reasonably affordable ($8,500 as pictured) and as good looking as possible. Reclaimed cedar with great physical/mechanical properties is not only very expensive, but is nearly impossible to source in my area. Plus, I think there's probably case to be made for using western Red cedar and hemlock vs. the fiberglass, aluminum, plastics, etc. that conventional campers are made of.

I'd be happy to talk more about design, material choices, construction, etc with anyone wanting to know more or who might be interested in building their own camper. I'm not necessarily the authority on the subject, but I do have a good understanding of wood properties and engineering with wood. Thanks again for the interest and conversation.

Peter Pavlowich

casualturtlecampers@gmail.com

"
Courage is endurance for one moment moreโ€ฆ
Unknown Marine Second Lieutenant in Vietnam

sabconsulting
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
Judging from all the wrinkles both inside and outside in the pictures, I would say attention to detail is not their strong suit.

I'm guessing being a wood person the roof was slightly outside his area of expertise. I bet these pictures are from his first demonstration camper so he probably hadn't worked out the technique for getting the ceiling right. Hopefully he has sorted that out now (in which case he should update his pictures).

Nice to see someone doing something different.

I wonder how heavy it is.

Steve.
'07 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab diesel + '91 Shadow Cruiser - Sky Cruiser 1
'98 Jeep TJ 4.0
'15 Ford Fiesta ST
'09 Fiat Panda 1.2

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Judging from all the wrinkles both inside and outside in the pictures, I would say attention to detail is not their strong suit.

69_Avion
Explorer
Explorer
http://casualturtlecampers.com/
Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel
1988 Avion Triple Axle Trailer
1969 Avion C-11 Camper