cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Second Half of Cross Country Trip - Suggestions?

usmcshepherd
Explorer
Explorer
Well my family and I made it safely to Louisiana after picking up our new Lance 1172 in Yuma a little over a week ago. Once filled up we headed north through N. AZ to visit Sedona and Flagstaff before heading east on I-40 and ultimately dropping south through Texas on 287 to I-20 and finally down I-49 to Alexansria, LA.

In a couple days we'll head out for Virginia Beach and are considering taking a portion of the Natchez Trace and then heading east to Great Smokey Mountain National Park. Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions along that route let me know...we will also probably be in search of fireworks along the way. We prefer mountains over beaches, back roads to highways, quiet vice congested!

Thanks
USMCShepherd
2011 Ram 3500 / 2013 Lance 1172
Semper Fi
MGySgt/USMC
12 REPLIES 12

sleepy
Explorer
Explorer
Tim. in our many pms you mentioned being in VA Beach on Friday... which Friday... the 5th...or... ? That will keep you from a lot of meandering especially since you have some "must do's" on your little bucket list.

I can assure you that if your time is limited as you pass through our neigborhood... you can make it back to this area in 8 hours or less at sometime in the future.

With you children your wants and needs are different than most of us... Dollywood and Gatlinberg is a destination that seems to interest many with young families.... and they are "attached" to the Smoky's :B

Tennessee east of Nashville is all a wonderful place for parks, forests, Wild and Scenic Rivers... Janet and I have lived here for 40 years and have visited everything possible.... We've had truck campers since 1970... and moved here from WV in '74.

We have a rough idea from your PMs and you have our address and cell number.

For your future excurisions...
I can tell you a lot about WV since we have gone back a lot of times... but it has changed a lot too... many new state parks since we left... The National Forests there will be easily accessable on I-64 west to Lewisberg, WV and north on US-219... good for the future.
2003 Lance 1161,/slideout/AGM batteries/255W Solar/propane generator/Sat dish/2 Fantastic Fans/AC/winter pkg
AirFoil, Trimetric, LED lights, Platcat vent heat

2003GMC K3500 LT/Crewcab/duramax diesel/allison/dually/4x4/OnStar/front reciever mounted spare

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
From Natchez Trace, go up to Land Between the Lakes wander back by Fort Campbell and stay North of 40 from there to Crossville by Catoosa Wildlife Management Area out to Big South Fork. Take a look at Cumberland Gap then over to Blue Ridge Parkway down to Smoky Mtn National Park. NOTE: there isn't an e in Smoky.

I think it's a mistake to take very many backroads in Middle or West Tennessee. There's just not that much to see that is not viewable from 40. Unlike many states, there really aren't continuous towns along most of 40 in TN. NOTE: I grew up in East TN and traveled all over for the 30 years before I moved West.

I'd also consider touring a dam (Army Corp or TVA) while you are in TN. They have visitor centers and tours inside. A good thing to do on a very hot day.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

BradW
Explorer II
Explorer II
Skip Natchez Trace and spend that time on the Blue Ridge Parkway.

If you do drive Natchez Trace, don't mis the Loveless Cafe at the north end.

http://www.lovelesscafe.com/
Wake Up America
2019 Lance 1062 and 2018 F-350 CC PSD 4X4 DRW
Tembrens, Rear Roadmaster Sway Bar, Torklift 48" Extention and 30K Superhitch
Our New Lance 1062 Truck Camper Unloading at Dealer Photos

usmcshepherd
Explorer
Explorer
Steve,

We so wanted to make the expo but the deal didn't come together until just a couple weeks ago. I am hoping we can make another trip west next year and perhaps plan to arrive for the expo then. Please keep me on your distro list for future correspondence concerning future expos.

Thanks
Semper Fi
MGySgt/USMC

sabconsulting
Explorer
Explorer
I can't help with the route, but great to see you picked up the camper after all. Pity you couldn't make Expo this year.

Steve.
'07 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab diesel + '91 Shadow Cruiser - Sky Cruiser 1
'98 Jeep TJ 4.0
'15 Ford Fiesta ST
'09 Fiat Panda 1.2

usmcshepherd
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the info.... Sleepy I'm sending you a PM.
Semper Fi
MGySgt/USMC

Thurbersfolks
Explorer
Explorer
Great hiway with beautiful scenery. Make sure all brake systems are good, including trailer brakes. 45 MPH on most of it. Have fun. Enjoy.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Do a Google search for `_____ tourism' and put the town, state, area, in the blank space to read what the experts recommend for their area.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

sleepy
Explorer
Explorer
If you are on I-20, Vicksberg is where you cross the Mississippi River.. the Civil War Battle Field is the the best and most painful the thing there... it's heart wrenching. It is still about as "deep" south as it gets. The yankee iron clad Cario has been raised from the floor of the Missippi and is on display as they restor it... it was sunk by the rebs from the 300 foot high bluffs... It took Gen Grant 2 years to win Vicksburg... with Shermans help in year two. (150 years ago.)

We can find thing to do but it'd not hard to drive away from the area... As mentioned in previous PMs... Pensacola NAS and beaches to the South or the Nanchez Trail (45 mph) to Nashville.

East of Nashville along US-70 are several of Tn's best state parks, and a lot of them... once you have an idea where and when I'll try to fill you in with options if you like... keeping your kids in mind as much as possible, (US-70 follows the I 40 cooridor)
2003 Lance 1161,/slideout/AGM batteries/255W Solar/propane generator/Sat dish/2 Fantastic Fans/AC/winter pkg

2003GMC K3500 LT/Crewcab/duramax diesel/allison/dually/4x4/OnStar/front reciever mounted spare

sleepy
Explorer
Explorer
Janet and I have traveled over many of thr roads that you have...

when you wrote in part:
............ of the Natchez Trace and then heading east to Great Smokey Mountain National Park. Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions along that route let me know...we will also probably be in search of fireworks along the way. We prefer mountains over beaches, back roads to highways, quiet vice congested!

I'll pick up at the junction of I-40E and I-75S

If you'll look at you maps... East of Sweetwater or Athens Tennessee you'll see Tellico Plaines... and leaving east out of Tellico Plains their is the Cherohala Skyway across the mountains to Robbinsville NC. It is a very good road that is over 5000' elevation... you can see forever from up there. A short side trip off of Cerahala Skyway will take you to Bald River Falls, and Green Cove. Another is Joyce Kilmer National Forest... all of this is inside the natahala National Forest of the Cherakee National Forest. Boundry Water campground is on the TN side... and road side "parking" all above the Geen Cove.

From Robbinsville go to Cherakee, NC... here you can cross the Mtns N through the Smokey Mtn National Park... or get on the Blue Ridge Parkway at it's most southern point.

If you go north you'd go to Newfound Gap in the Smokeys... and as you leave the N side of the park you'd pass through Gatlinberg...

Or... go north from Robbinsville on US-129 to Maryville, TN... US-129 has a section called the "Dragon".. it has 317 turns in 11 miles... and you'd get to dodge motorcycles... I have driven it many times in my camper. It is the SW edge of the SMNP.

Maryville is a short distance from Knoxville... so is Gatlinberg.... and so is Townsand... the quiet side of the SMNP... then use the park road to Gatlinberg (plenty of campgrounds)

If you choose this area I can help you as you head north east... Ky, WV, and/or Va, or NC

I live slightly NW of Knoxville at the base of the Cumberland Mtns.All previous offers stand now or in the future... electric, water. dinner, and anything else we can do.

Sleepy

usmcshepherd
Explorer
Explorer
This will be another PCS....8th in 23 years!!
Semper Fi
MGySgt/USMC

RWDIII
Explorer
Explorer
usmcshepherd wrote:
Well my family and I made it safely to Louisiana after picking up our new Lance 1172 in Yuma a little over a week ago. Once filled up we headed north through N. AZ to visit Sedona and Flagstaff before heading east on I-40 and ultimately dropping south through Texas on 287 to I-20 and finally down I-49 to Alexansria, LA.

In a couple days we'll head out for Virginia Beach and are considering taking a portion of the Natchez Trace and then heading east to Great Smokey Mountain National Park. Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions along that route let me know...we will also probably be in search of fireworks along the way. We prefer mountains over beaches, back roads to highways, quiet vice congested!

Thanks
USMCShepherd

Is this a PCS or are you retired?
OLD 2006 F150 4wd 7200gvw,Lt275-65-18,Scan Guage,Garmin,flowmaster,load levelers,Firestone work rites Bronco 800

NEW 2015 F250 Scab 4wd 10000 gvw, 6.2 Scan guage,Garmin,work rites,3200 lb load,1800lb Palomino Backpack SS1200