cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is my F150 powerful enough?

camper766
Explorer
Explorer
So after a few years of camping with a pop up, we recently traded in for a travel trailer. To say it hasn't gone smoothly would be a major understatement! We went to our local dealer and found the perfect camper for us, a Salem 300BH. The dealer asked about what we would be towing it with, which was our 2014 F150 Eco boost. Dealer said "no way, that camper is way to heavy for an F150."

I told him that was total BS, my cousin works for Ford and has told me that the Eco Boost can tow far more than an F250 diesel because of the advanced technology of the turbo charger. Also the transmission has more gears than a diesel. Although the Salem is much heavier than the published towing weights for the F150 (it weighs something like 10-12,000 lbs), my cousin has explained that all the published numbers come from corporate attorneys who are deathly afraid of being sued by the "ambulance chasers," instead of engineers who really understand the truck.

Anyway, since dealer #1 clearly didn't want to sell me a camper, I headed off to dealer #2, answer was the same - you need a bigger truck. Apparently these people just aren't familiar with the Eco Boost, so I had to come up with an alternate plan. My neighbor has an F450 SuperDuty diesel and agreed to drive to the dealership with me so I could take delivery and bring the camper back to my house.

This is where it turns bad. I hitch my truck up to the camper and things just don't look right. The back end of the truck is sagging really bad and the front has raised up like 4". I took it around the block and the handling is just terrible, even at 25mph. The setup looks ridiculous. Funny because the F450 didn't sag at all and had a great ride. I know my truck is just a powerful, but it's like there is something wrong with the suspension. My friend with the F450 said the same thing as the dealer, need a bigger truck, or at the very least some kind of a special weight something or other hitch. I don't know what that is and I really don't want to buy anything else. Anyway, he thinks I'm crazy trying to pull that trailer with my truck and said I'll end up killing myself if I try. At the very least he said I'd destroy my truck and void the warranty.

Personally, I think the problem is that the weight just isn't balanced right and that's why the truck is sagging so bad. The weight should be centered over the trailer's axles, then there would be very little or no weight riding on the truck and it wouldn't sag and should handle like normal. We moved everything we could to the back but that made no difference. How can I balance the trailer? I'm really starting to think I've made a horrible mistake. We leave on a big trip in less than a week and my wife is scared to go with it like it is. Seriously need help!!!
58 REPLIES 58

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
thin the herd
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
This is a joke, right?

10-4, but a fun read anyway.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
All he really needs is a Hensley Arrow.

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
Geez - I didn't realize it was April 1.

westend wrote:
This is a joke, right?

X2
2015 Crossroads Rushmore Springfield
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
TomG2 wrote:
And not a good joke at that.
And he'll probably be back to tell us what a bunch of rude people we are.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
westend wrote:
This is a joke, right?
That'd be my opinion. Probably laughing his butt off.

Yeah, the tip off was that two salesmen told him to get a bigger truck. That NEVER happens. It's always "Sure, you can pull the 40', #16K Pudge-o-Wedge triple-axel TT with your F150". :B
G-half can always find a way to do things upside-down, inside-out or backward.
It's his Super Power!

Need-A-Vacation
Explorer
Explorer
If you refuse to buy anything additional for a safe tow (wd hitch and possibly a HD truck) for both your family and all of our families, please let us know where and when you will be traveling so we all can stay off the road!
Bubba J- '13 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT CCSB 4x4 6.0

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS Mods Reese DC HP

WDH Set Up. How a WDH Works. CAT Scale How To.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
This is a joke, right?

And not a good joke at that.

cdru
Explorer
Explorer
Do realize the trailer hitch is only rated for 5000 lb. trailer and 500 lb. tongue weight without a weight distribution hitch? I think the f150 may be a little light for that size trailer!. Kudos the the dealers that refused to sell to you. Lots of dealers would sell anyway. cdru

RwaSmith
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
This is a joke, right?

Then someone has way to much time on their hands. ๐Ÿ™‚
2016 Forrest River Vibe 308BHS
2010 Chevy Suburban 2500

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
westend wrote:
This is a joke, right?
That'd be my opinion. Probably laughing his butt off.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

RwaSmith
Explorer
Explorer
Did you get a weight distribution Hitch?

Sorry I have to agree with the dealers and your neighbor. You have way to much trailer for the truck. There is more to it than if it can just pull. Beefed up suspension, wheel base to name a few in a larger truck
2016 Forrest River Vibe 308BHS
2010 Chevy Suburban 2500

westend
Explorer
Explorer
This is a joke, right?
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton