cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there any financial advantage for buying out of state

scott936
Explorer
Explorer
Here is Texas were so limited on Camper dealers that there is little to no competition so if I travel north would I find better pricing and tax advantage in a different state?
2005 Sun Lite 1055
2008 Dodge 2500 4x4 6.7L
31 REPLIES 31

skyhammer
Explorer
Explorer
Super_Dave wrote:
If the reliability is there, out of State might come into play. Traveling out of State every time something needs to be looked at or fixed doesn't make sense to me.

Host authorized a repair shop near me to do any warranty work I may need if i didn't want to go to Oregon.
Since I travel to Oregon 4 or 5 times a year, I haven't needed to go to my local shop.
Most of the work I have had done at the factory is because of self inflicted wounds and that has been only a couple of times.
Also, saving nearly $4000 in sales tax would easily pay for several trips to Oregon if need be.
2011 Host Everest, 11.5',triple slide.
2011 F-350,DRW,CC,LWB,4X4,6.7

kerry4951
Explorer
Explorer
I recently bought a car that did not have a title or proof of ownership. In the process of trying to get a title and registration, I was forced to do a lot of research, much of it on the different state DMVs and their laws. By going thru the back door of my DMV I was able to get a valid title. One thing I did find out....no two states are the same when it comes to their DMV laws. Its amazing how many people dont realize that. They automatically think because their state has a certain DMV rule or law that all the other states are the same. We have 50 states in this country which means we have 50 different sets of licensing, titling, sales tax, and etc. rules that apply to all vehicles. Every DMV that I contacted has a website and a toll free hot line that you can call. Pick up the phone and check with your state DMV and then you will get it right.
2009 Silverado 3500 dually D/A, Supersprings, Stable Loads, Bilsteins, Hellwig Sway Bar.
2010 Arctic Fox 1140 DB, 220 watts solar, custom 4 in 1 "U" shaped dinette/couch, baseboard and Cat 3 heat, 2nd dinette TV, cabover headboard storage, 67 TC mods

joeshmoe
Explorer
Explorer
As far purchasing out of state, in the op's case, Yes, I believe it would be advantageous. I did it and saved all the way around, and we got to travel through Ca, Ore. and little piece of Wa. Absolutely gorgeous.

Yeah, having warranty work done might be tricky, but just make sure you buy a brand that at least has a decent reputation for little warranty returns. It would also help to be able to turn your own wrenches. Most issues can be repaired without going to the dealer if you're inclined to do so. for me the inconvenience of having to take it to the dealer, drop it off, possibly have some yahoo work on it, not fix it right all the while costing me time and more money, does not appeal to me. Short of delamination or the frame snapping or an anchor point ripping out **cough, cough**, I prefer to fix it myself.
2014 Northwood Wolf Creek 850
2005 Ford F350 SRW SuperCab/LongBed 6.0 Powerstroke
QuickTrick's Towing Tune
Torklift Tie Downs/Fastguns/Upper/Lower Stableloads
Rancho 9000's

joeshmoe
Explorer
Explorer
kcmoedoe: You should edit your post. A truck camper is not a "vehicle" nor is it required to be registered in TX.
I can't tell you how many posts with contradicting info. I came across when doing research several years ago. It just makes it tougher to wade through what's true and what isn't
2014 Northwood Wolf Creek 850
2005 Ford F350 SRW SuperCab/LongBed 6.0 Powerstroke
QuickTrick's Towing Tune
Torklift Tie Downs/Fastguns/Upper/Lower Stableloads
Rancho 9000's

dadwolf2
Explorer
Explorer
Super_Dave wrote:
If the reliability is there, out of State might come into play. Traveling out of State every time something needs to be looked at or fixed doesn't make sense to me.

If you're in a state that doesn't sell Truck Campers or only one brand (and one model on display) you don't have much of a choice. I was going to have to go to California, Utah, Colorado, or Arizona. Having said that, that is one of the reasons I sold my Outfitter. Because of it's unique / nonstandard RV construction (pop-up roof and couple other things) the thought of driving to Colorado to get it fixed concerned me. Now with my current camper, any major dealership / RV repair shop can make repairs if needed.
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD,4X4,NV5600
2014 Adventurer 86FB

martyn8677
Explorer
Explorer
kcmoedoe wrote:
Texas will require sales tax to be paid when you register the vehicle. They will charge it on the actual sales price if it is from a dealer. If you purchase from an individual they will use a valuation chart to determine the value. That is to keep you and a seller from a wink wink, nod nod, paperwork showing the purchase price of a $100,000 rig as being $50.00. Your only advantage to an out of state purchase is if you can find the rig you want at a price that is better than what you can get in state, including the costs to go get it and bring it back. If it is a new rig you also need to be aware that buying from an out of state dealer may earn you a lot of ill will at your local dealer when it comes to service. Unlike car dealers, they are not required to perform warranty work on makes they sell. They will often, at best, put you at the end of the line or, at worst, not service your rig at all.

Not true. I have purchased 3 TC's, all out of state for the very reason OP says. Dealers in Texas won't negotiate much AND Texas does not register TC's, so no sales tax due when you get home. I bought 2 from an Arizona dealer and my most recent from a used dealer in California. Picked up the first one myself. Dealer met me in New Mexico so they didn't have to charge me AZ sales tax. The other 2 I used UShip and was very happy with both.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

skipbee
Explorer
Explorer
We had considered buying in Tennessee to avoid State sales tax, on route to purchase we passed Outdoor Express in WV, a Lance dealer. We stopped to inspect the model we had ordered sight unseen, and wound up buying from Outdoor. They offered a little lower price which offset the sales tax a bit. It has turned out to be an excellent choice because of the quality of the service and the promptness of service. Service is an important feature, IMHO, selling dealers should
offer better service to their customers in most cases.
skipbee
2004 F350 Diesel CC SRW 19.5" Rickson W/T 4WD
2005 Lance 1121 well found.
See us on YouTube" Living the Lance Life" 3 of 4. Google skip bosley for TR's: Alaska, Assateague Island, Disney World & Fla Keys and a California Coastal jaunt.

2manydogs
Explorer
Explorer
2manydogs wrote:
I like the idea of buying in Le Grande, Oregon, I'm a sucker for an Arctic Fox store especially the that one. Always looking for the next road trip heck it's only 3500 miles
one way :B

Just looked it up its only 2437 miles, dang this has got me thinking....

2manydogs
Explorer
Explorer
I like the idea of buying in Le Grande, Oregon, I'm a sucker for an Arctic Fox store especially the that one. Always looking for the next road trip heck it's only 3500 miles
one way :B

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
dadwolf2 wrote:
From my experience it's never better to buy from the factory. They cannot undercut their dealers.

The only factories that sell direct are those that have no dealer network.
If a given manufacturer has a dealer network, you can't "buy it" from the factory.

Local pickup at the factory might be an option, so long as the "sale" goes through a dealer. But, that might not even be a possibility.

Factories general aren't equipped with the manpower to deal with end-user customers, aside from maybe giving factory tours.

Example of one factory that DOES sell dealer direct, and has no delaer network, is Casita Travel Trailers, in Texas.
Bob

BillL1356
Explorer
Explorer
True that no sales tax is due for an out of state purchase in PA. However, a use tax of 6% is due. State law requires pmt when you bring it home. The PA Dept. of revenue is aggressively collecting this tax and if you get caught they can and will collect the tax plus penalties which can be very steep. I decided it wasn't worth the chance and paid the tax even though I purchased the camper in NH and paid no tax.

dadwolf2
Explorer
Explorer
From my experience it's never better to buy from the factory. They cannot undercut their dealers.
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD,4X4,NV5600
2014 Adventurer 86FB

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
From Texas, no way would I drive all the way to Oregon for a camper. Plenty of dealers in AZ. I went from my home in Sacramento area of California to Tucson, AZ at Happy Daze RV. A great dealership there really did right by me and had the lowest prices of any Lance dealer I could find in 7 Western states.

You will either be charged AZ sales taxes if you pick you your camper in AZ, or they will meet you at the Texas border and you'll have to pay TX sales tax.