cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Its Official! The Wife and I Are Now Truck Campers!

misterpat1975
Explorer
Explorer
After much research and searching, My wife and I decided to look into buying a Polomino Bronco 1251. It fit our needs pretty much. I started getting the truck ready for it and had questions. I registered here and talked to a bunch of knowledgeable folks about wiring my truck. I shared my thoughts on the Polomino and was made aware of the poor construction.

I then made the right choice in my mind. The Polomino was out of the question. It had to be a Northstar 850sc. I searched the internet for a nice used one and saw a few out west, but nothing close enough to me to warrant the drive.

I was getting bummed out, but then the wife and I decided to spend the money on a nice new 2012 left over from Truck Camper Warehouse. Its only 4 hours from our house. So I called up Bill and got the wheels rolling. We financed and Bill took care of everything. Very painless.

Drove up there and was very early. Upon Arrival, the crew up there had our camper inside, going over everything and cleaning it from top to bottom. What was a great convenience is not only do they stock campers, but any supply You may need. We left the shop, since we were early, and went for lunch.

After we returned, they were ready for us. put the camper on the truck checked everything and we were good to go. Very easy.

But it doesn't stop there. Bill offered us to stay the night at the shop in the camper to test everything out. When I say the camper was ready to roll, we had a full water tank, full cassette toilet tank, deodorizer for the cassette black tank, sewer dump hose, fresh water hose, pressure regulator and some really nice folding steps to get into the camper. Oh, and a brand new deep cycle and full tank of propane.

We decided to stay and actually pulled up some chairs in the shop and BS'ed for a few hours. The crew up there are super cool. After it started to get past dinner time, We packed up the truck and headed into town for some supplies. We saw a pizzeria in the shopping plaza lot that offered free delivery. So, after returning to Truck Camper Warehouse and setting up "Camp", we called for pizza delivery and they delivered it right to the camper! Great pizza too!

Got up the next morning and double checked everything. Everything in the camper worked as it should, so we dropped the top, rolled up the power cord they let us use and headed home.

All in all, I am one "Happy Camper"! The camper never even got unloaded as its going out for its first real trip this coming weekend.

Thanks to all the guys at Truck Camper Warehouse and all of the follow members on here for steering me in the right direction toward the Northstar. Hope to run into some members at some North East campgrounds.

2005 F-250 CrewCab Shortbox V-10
2012 Northstar 850SC
30 REPLIES 30

seraphim
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the club!

Here's to many enjoyable trips...
2012 GMC 3500HD Crew Cab LB 4x4 DRW with Duramax 6.6 diesel
2013 Palomino Maverick 2902.
[

misterpat1975
Explorer
Explorer
NLinNJ wrote:
Welcome to truck camping! If you camped in Stokes, you must be close to Sussex county, NJ. We are also. Been truck camping for 3 years in our Northern Lite...luv it! FYI, check out www.truckcamping.net...it is North East Truck Camping Jamboree group...great rallies, great people. See you on the road!

We actually were at Stokes this past weekend. Up in the back of Shotwell. I got some pics, but been busy as hell lately. We are over in Lake Hopatcong, just south of Sparta.

jefe 4x4 wrote:
Don't you just love the missionary zeal of a noob?
To be bona fide on this forum you must post pix.
No pix and it didn't happen.
regards, as always, jefe

2012 Northstar 850SC

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
Don't you just love the missionary zeal of a noob?
To be bona fide on this forum you must post pix.
No pix and it didn't happen.
regards, as always, jefe
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats on the new TC and welcome to the club!!

NLinNJ
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to truck camping! If you camped in Stokes, you must be close to Sussex county, NJ. We are also. Been truck camping for 3 years in our Northern Lite...luv it! FYI, check out www.truckcamping.net...it is North East Truck Camping Jamboree group...great rallies, great people. See you on the road!

MacHof
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats - You're going to have a blast!

While our stove does have a sparker, it's not that reliable. We mounted a magnetic knife holder strip next to the stove, and one of our "knives" is a BBQ lighter. Works well and it is always close at hand.

Cheers, Henrik

misterpat1975
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for the comments! My wife is looking around to supply the kitchen items needed, while I have been busy gathering those small need once in awhile items and stowing them in various compartments.

So far I only found 3 things I didn't know before buying this model. #3 is probably with all pop top truck campers.

1. The stove is a manual light. Thought it would have had a sparker of sorts.

2. The water heater must have its pilot lit. Again, I thought it would have a sparker to light it when needed.

3. Can't use the toilet at all when the top is down.

Other than that, everything is good. This coming weekend, We are headed up to Stokes State Forest for Saturday night. Going to be its first trip out. There are no hook-ups there, so boondocking it is. Between the battery I installed in the truck, plus the battery TCW installed, I have about 150ah. More than enough I think.

I will get a bunch of pics up of the first trip out up, most likely while we are still there. Providing there is cell phone service.
2012 Northstar 850SC

bwc
Explorer
Explorer
woodhog wrote:
Hope you enjoy your Northstar ownership as much as we do.

You dealt with the best truck camper dealership on the East Coast , smart move.

X2. My wife and I are going to NH in September and are going to drop in to meet Bill and his dealership. You will love the Northstar brand. Safe travels.
2003 Dodge Laramie SLT 3500 dually diesel 4x2 auto and 2009 Northstar 9.5 Igloo U. Love this combo. Very fuel efficient, lots of room, easy to park and set up.

s1214
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the group.

If you ever make it up to the Fryeburg Fair take a walk thru the trackside campground. There's at least 2 of us with 850's every year.

Bubtoofat
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats! Good choice on the Northstar but then I may be biased. Our Northstar has the pressure regulator built in. You don't need to put one on the city water hookup.
Mike
2005 Chevy 2500HD Crew 4X4 6.0
2011 Northstar Adventurer
Hellwig Bigwig, Ride-Rites, Fastguns, KYB Monomax.

"No matter where I am, I can't help feeling I'm just a day away from where I want to be."
Jackson Browne

bjbear
Explorer
Explorer
Congratulations on a great buy. I bet you are really going to enjoy it....and welcome to the TC club. Nice to hear that you had a great experience at the dealer.
2006 Monaco Camelot 42-DSQ
09 Blazer 20' Covered Trailer
Toad - 2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited
My Website

Mello_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats! You made a great choice in getting a Northstar camper.
2016 Northstar Laredo SC/240w Solar/2-6v Lifeline AGMs/Dometic CR110 DC Compressor Fridge
2013 Ram 3500 4x4/6.7L Cummins TD/3.42/Buckstop Bumper with Warn 16.5ti Winch/Big Wig Rear Sway Bar/Talons w/SS Fastguns
My Rig
1998 Jeep Wrangler
US Navy Ret.

WVbassmistress
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats!!!! I am so jealous. I from what I have seen on-line (never seen one in person), the Northstar will be my next TC. Good to know where to get it. I go to their site frequently to dream.

And I love to see another pop-up TC this side of the Mississippi! If you are ever in southern WV (or any part of WV), look us up.
Lisa, Bobby & Dorothy the Wonder Dog
2013 F250 crew cab/6/5 foot bed w/
Firestone airbags
2006 KZ Jag - 29 ft
Ranger Z518
22 ft Suntracker Pontoon

K_Mac
Explorer
Explorer
Congratulations, we also bought from Bill,and let me say his crew was as helpful as any one could ask. We spent the night along with two other new TC owners,getting a feel for our new rig as you did. I enjoyed hanging with his four legged crew also. Good luck and hope to see you about.