cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Large family hybrid out there? (9 kids)

befu
Explorer
Explorer
So this summer we camped with 9 kids (Our 5 + 4 foster) in our puma 31dbts and it worked great! Now there is a family in our church that is also considering getting into camping and they have 9 wonderful children, but are in a E-350 van with the 5.4L Definately puts something like our Puma out of the question. They were looking at some light weight travel trailers, but the empty weights are still up there at 7100 lbs empty!

So I thought about the hybrids, but the biggest I can seem to find is a 23' model. several of them out there with the three queen tip outs and a slide which gives incredible space for a 23' camper and around 5,000 lbs, but haven't really found anything that is just a bit bigger, maybe in the 25' plus range.

Anybody know of lightweight campers with the multiple tipouts that are over the 23' length?

Thank you for any who can help,

Brian
2012 Puma 31dbts TT
2004 Suburban 2500 - 3.73 - 8.1L - 4x4
Helping global warming at 496 cubic inches per revolution!
23 REPLIES 23

befu
Explorer
Explorer
smkettner wrote:
I would have two RVs

I had this thought before, but the wife is needed to tow the boat when we take it up to Lake Michigan.

Update on this. Please note, this is not mine. I am quite happy with my Puma 31dbts and 3/4 ton burb with 4th seat. Well, that and I am back to only 5 kids for now, feels like a vacation.

So they bought a camper, looks nice and I am jealous! They traded the E350 in on a 2011 3500 Express extended wagon with the 6.0 liter. About the best TV option for a growing family of 11! They got a Kodiak 300 BHSL. Great options and layout with the counter space to prep food for all those kids. They camped in it and said it went well. Was supposed to be pretty rainy, but it held off and they had beautiful weather, much better than our first excursion!

http://kodiak-rv.com/index.php?p=floorplans&model=300BHSL

the larger bunks in back allow the kids to sleep more than one per for now. Thanks for all the options, in the end they figured out the Ford E-350 with the 5.4L is more of a people mover, not a big tow vehicle.

Brian
2012 Puma 31dbts TT
2004 Suburban 2500 - 3.73 - 8.1L - 4x4
Helping global warming at 496 cubic inches per revolution!

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
We are foster parents and have camped with as many as six including our four. What I have learned is the older kids like to stay out in a tent almost every time. So for this reason we are able to camp with the HTT listed in our signiture below.
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)

Takeda_Family
Explorer
Explorer
A friend has 3 kids and they are in a Jayco 17` her kids are 4,6 and 9 and they are still all 3 sideways on one bunk.
2011 Shamrock 23SS
2007 GMC Sierra 1500
Me '75
DH '78
DD '06
DS '08

HockeyTownMom
Explorer
Explorer
I have 5 kids in a 23' hybrid with 3 bunks and the slide. I couldn't imagine anymore bodies in there. Not to mention the stuff you need for 11 people.
Kristina, Jesse and our 5 kids
2015 Sunseeker 3170ds

atreis
Explorer
Explorer
I'd say a 3-bunk HTT would be the rough equivalent of having 5 kids in mine (we have 3)... It'd really be tight. Really tight. Definitely try it before you buy. IMO, a 3-bed hybrid plus a tent would probably work better. If the tent works well, you could actually get away with a smaller TT or HTT and larger tent.

What would work really nicely would be if the kids slept in tents, leaving the trailer for the adults. 🙂
2021 Four Winds 26B on Chevy 4500

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
Actually looks kinda like a slumber party, except that they're really asleep! DH and I are both "onlies" and missed out on this part of growing up. First, I find it hard to imagine 9 children and second I'm wondering how in the world you maintain any sanity at all. Kudos to you!
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

Dougie123
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a pic of our passle of 4 sleeping on the floor. Mom was on the slideout dinette and dad was on the couch. We were "turtling" one night (i.e. no bunkend were out).

its tight, but if you put the bunk ends out, you can then put 2 in each bunk end, and there you have 10!

Dad, Mom, 4 kids, 1 dog & lots of camping memories!

2010 Shamrock 233S (SOLD)
2018 Jayco Eagle HT 295DBOK
2011 Ram 2500 CC Laramie Hemi 4.10 (SOLD)
2017 Ram 2500 CC Laramie Cummins

el_jefe1
Explorer
Explorer
I'd look at the roo 233s. I really wanted to buy it, but we ended up going the smaller jayco route because of towing capacity. 2 each on 3 queen beds, dinette, and couch folds down + 1 on an air mattress on the floor (which is plenty big). There, that's 11 people in a hybrid.
2018 Keystone Passport 3290bh
2007 Chevy Express 3500
Me, the Wife, and a whole bunch of kids

Dougie123
Explorer
Explorer
Put a few of them on the floor.
With the 3 bunk + slide, you get a lot of floor space.
Dad, Mom, 4 kids, 1 dog & lots of camping memories!

2010 Shamrock 233S (SOLD)
2018 Jayco Eagle HT 295DBOK
2011 Ram 2500 CC Laramie Hemi 4.10 (SOLD)
2017 Ram 2500 CC Laramie Cummins

Chuck_S
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't think you were kidding about the number. I still think you're kidding (delusional, actually) about trying everyone into a camper.

-- Chuck
'06 Roo 23SS behind '17 Expedition out of Richmond
Our Photo pages

3LittleDucks
Explorer
Explorer
I would consider a big hybrid, and a tent for some of the older family members. The big 3 bunk hybrids I saw had TONS of floorspace, so could probably put some air mattresses down if need be. It seemed to me like the sleep space was primarily in the beds, and quite limited in the dining area.

Could the little kids sleep 3 per bed?
2008 Nissan Armada TV
2007 Trail Cruiser 21RBH HTT

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
Forgot to tell you, praise for taking in fosters and maintaining sanity with them all. And admiration....neither DH nor I were blesses with unlimited patience. We joke that if we'd had our DS#2 first, we wouldn't have taken a chance with a second one....only kidding sometimes and dead serious other times. He's 45 and still makes his parents NUTS! Our DS#1 with numerous disabilities is 99% of the time a joy. His brother.....oftentimes, not so much. Gotta love him anyway.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
The tent idea has alot of merit as well. We have found that most kids would rather setup in tents when camping anyway... Great way to separate the girls from the boys... This way you just use the inside of the trailer for watching Tv, cleanups, or eating etc...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS